Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Mr. Einar Ingman recieved the Medal of Honor for heroism in Korea. As a result he suffered what today we call traumatic brain injury and although he regained most of his memory he suffered a stroke in 2003 and has been disabled since then.
I did mail a petition to his and ask in my letter that if his spouse felt he would endorse Audie's nomination and if she had a Power of Attorney or Guardianship to sign in his behalf that we would be honored to have his endorsement for the campaign.
Today I received the signed petition in return mail, signed by his legal guardian (daughter). I was very pleased to get this one, but even more so, it has special meaning as his injuries during the war were so horrible, yet even as he was suffering he continued on with his mission then, and now has given his permission to endorse our petition.

Here is his wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einar_Ingman

Here is his signed (by proxy) petition:

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:42 am 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Dave,

Very impressive to get a Medal of Honor recipient who suffers from a war injury and these were the people who Audie visited in hospitals around the country and why he was a champion of the cause of trauma in veterans and that it was the responsibility of the government to make sure they were always taken care of.

Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 am 

His is a very moving story, Dave, and of course you did a very respectful and tactful job (as always) of approaching him and his family. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

These never cease to amaze me. The one thing that I have learned from all of these MOH and other endorsements from our war fighters and heroes is that they all are unique and have amazing stories. This one really touches me. To endorse, even after such terrible injuries and trauma, is amazing. To do so through your own daughter really makes this one even more special.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 am 

audiefan53 wrote:
Dave,

Very impressive to get a Medal of Honor recipient who suffers from a war injury and these were the people who Audie visited in hospitals around the country and why he was a champion of the cause of trauma in veterans and that it was the responsibility of the government to make sure they were always taken care of.

Sharon

Yes, Audie was a great Ambassador of the Nation to the many soldiers who were crippled, maimed, and wounded and suffering in our Veteran's hospitals of the day.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:08 am 

Christie wrote:
His is a very moving story, Dave, and of course you did a very respectful and tactful job (as always) of approaching him and his family. :)

Christie:

Thanks so much. I debated contacting this recipient for more than a year as I knew he was extremely frail and in failing health due to his series of strokes.
I finally decided to do it, while at the same time, being sensitive to he and his family.
Thanks for the compliment,

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:31 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
These never cease to amaze me. The one thing that I have learned from all of these MOH and other endorsements from our war fighters and heroes is that they all are unique and have amazing stories. This one really touches me. To endorse, even after such terrible injuries and trauma, is amazing. To do so through your own daughter really makes this one even more special.

Richard:

Thanks! In viewing everyday all these great Americans in and out of uniform I'm not sure how any President in good conscience could say "No".
Each and every one of these MoH recipients has a special and unique story as you say. What I find especially compelling in this petition effort is the outpouring of support for Audie throughout the world.
we have had signers from almost every continent, from Australia and New Zealand, all over Europe, even Germans, from Latin and Central America, etc.
The endorsees cover every State, and all branches of our military; to include the Coast Guard. We have had endorsees from I think every enlisted and officer rank of our Armed Forces. We've had politicians, generals. admirals, Chiefs of Staff, previous recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, actors, authors, actresses, and entertainers, businessmen, white and blue collar workers. People who knew Audie and those who didn't.
Medal of Honor recipients thus far representing every war since WWII except the current one, but I hope to get one of those three at some point, and even a moonwalker.
I was thinking today and it obviously is too late, but imagine had we had proper funding (fundraiser), professionally printed letterhead, sufficient postage, a website professionally built and designed, advertisement, etc what might have been.
I funded this with a small budget and the results were amazing, much more than I would have ever envisioned.
The outpouring of support for Audie has been all I could have ever hoped for, and if it fails, at least more people are knowledgeable than before about his life and accomplishments, and my Son will have some great endorsements to hold onto one day of his namesake.
Well, time will tell. I now have about 20 more petitions to get in the mail this week, and then it is over.
Oh, later this week, I am going to try and make an alphabetical list by Country from where our endorsements originated.
Thought that would be interesting to post for everyone to see.
Thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated throughout this long project and for your ideas and compliments as well. It is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:55 pm 

Audie'sDad wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:

Richard:

Thanks! In viewing everyday all these great Americans in and out of uniform I'm not sure how any President in good conscience could say "No".
Each and every one of these MoH recipients has a special and unique story as you say. What I find especially compelling in this petition effort is the outpouring of support for Audie throughout the world.
we have had signers from almost every continent, from Australia and New Zealand, all over Europe, even Germans, from Latin and Central America, etc.
The endorsees cover every State, and all branches of our military; to include the Coast Guard. We have had endorsees from I think every enlisted and officer rank of our Armed Forces. We've had politicians, generals. admirals, Chiefs of Staff, previous recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, actors, authors, actresses, and entertainers, businessmen, white and blue collar workers. People who knew Audie and those who didn't.
Medal of Honor recipients thus far representing every war since WWII except the current one, but I hope to get one of those three at some point, and even a moonwalker.
I was thinking today and it obviously is too late, but imagine had we had proper funding (fundraiser), professionally printed letterhead, sufficient postage, a website professionally built and designed, advertisement, etc what might have been.
I funded this with a small budget and the results were amazing, much more than I would have ever envisioned.
The outpouring of support for Audie has been all I could have ever hoped for, and if it fails, at least more people are knowledgeable than before about his life and accomplishments, and my Son will have some great endorsements to hold onto one day of his namesake.
Well, time will tell. I now have about 20 more petitions to get in the mail this week, and then it is over.
Oh, later this week, I am going to try and make an alphabetical list by Country from where our endorsements originated.
Thought that would be interesting to post for everyone to see.
Thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated throughout this long project and for your ideas and compliments as well. It is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I am so proud to know you and to be a part of this extraordinary effort you've taken on yourself. I only wish I could have been of more help to you in this endeavor. What you have done for Audie's memory is fantastic and if the president doesn't give him the PMoF it is to his shame. I think you should have some sort of medal for all the work and money you have contributed to this effort. Thank you again for all you have done and for sharing some of the endorsements with this website. Everyone who visits this site will be privileged to see just some of what you have done. God bless you.

Richard, is it possible to have a Petitions tab to display the petitions Dave has here? Maybe it could be a part of the Documents tab. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm 
Researcher

Dave, you're just absolutely amazing in accomplishing what you have done. How you've done it is beyond belief. Just thought about this, have you contacted Audie's sons, and have they signed the petition for their dad?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:36 pm 

Bob wrote:
Dave, you're just absolutely amazing in accomplishing what you have done. How you've done it is beyond belief. Just thought about this, have you contacted Audie's sons, and have they signed the petition for their dad?

Bob:

Thank you again for the compliment. As to Terry and Skip, I pondered that myself for quite a while, but have decided to leave them out; at least by my solicitation; reason number 1, I think this should be a private 'grassroots' type campaign without influence of family; and 2 I'm not sure they would sign anyway.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 pm 

Audie'sDad wrote:
Bob wrote:

Bob:

Thank you again for the compliment. As to Terry and Skip, I pondered that myself for quite a while, but have decided to leave them out; at least by my solicitation; reason number 1, I think this should be a private 'grassroots' type campaign without influence of family; and 2 I'm not sure they would sign anyway.

Thanks,

Dave

That makes sense, Dave, I know Richard has said that the Murphy family is very cautious about appearing to endorse the fan/admirer driven campaigns; that they were proud for Audie about, say, the drive for the postage stamp and its success, but also did not think it was appropriate for them to get involved. This goes way back, to the early 70s, when Pamela Murphy only gave permission to the local VFW to set up the memorial on Brush Mountain on condition that they would not do fundraising for it and not get too aggressive with publicity about it; the VFW managed to get the labor and materials donated a couple years later, and the memorial was erected then IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm 

Christie wrote:
Audie'sDad wrote:
Bob wrote:

Bob:

Thanks,

Dave

That makes sense, Dave, I know Richard has said that the Murphy family is very cautious about appearing to endorse the fan/admirer driven campaigns; that they were proud for Audie about, say, the drive for the postage stamp and its success, but also did not think it was appropriate for them to get involved. This goes way back, to the early 70s, when Pamela Murphy only gave permission to the local VFW to set up the memorial on Brush Mountain on condition that they would not do fundraising for it and not get too aggressive with publicity about it; the VFW managed to get the labor and materials donated a couple years later, and the memorial was erected then IIRC.

Christie:

Brush Mountain monument is a great example. I remember that well. It just seemed to me to leave the children out would be best. I did get Nadine to sign (through Patsy) and of course there are extended family members; i.e. Weldon and Patsy, but I personally felt that it would be better that the children remain outside of this endeavor. Thanks for your concurrance Christie, that means a lot to me.

Dave