Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:27 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Mike Thornton, a founding member of SEAL Team 6 and a Medal of Honor recipient in Vietnam has endorsed the petition for Audie.
He left a short comment about Audie Days as well.

Here is his wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_E._Thornton

Here is his endorsement:

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:41 am 
Site Admin

Yet another TEXAS MOH recipient is on-board. I wonder what the percentages are by state? But with that said, I would be happy if all states were equally represented with ALL MOH recipients endorsing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:58 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Yet another TEXAS MOH recipient is on-board. I wonder what the percentages are by state? But with that said, I would be happy if all states were equally represented with ALL MOH recipients endorsing.

Yes, a Texan indeed. He story was quite an interesting one, in that without Mike Thornton, Tom Norris, later FBI Special Agent Tom Norris would have died that day.
When Thornton rescued Norris half of Norris skull had been blown away and Thornton went across 500 meters of open terrain to get to Norris and then carried him 500 meters back to the water, carried him out and inflated his life jacket and swam 2 miles carrying Norris the whole way.
For actions later involving the rescue of another american airman, Tom Norris would himself earn the Medal of Honor. If you ever saw the movie "BAT 21" with Gene Hackman that is based on the story of Norris and the downed Airman.

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:55 pm 

Dave,
I think it was Tom Norris who Ruxy and I saw speak at A.M. Festival Days in June of 2008. Great
speaker. Again Keep up the great work. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:04 am 

Shirleyjean wrote:
Dave,
I think it was Tom Norris who Ruxy and I saw speak at A.M. Festival Days in June of 2008. Great
speaker. Again Keep up the great work. Shirley Jean.

I would appreciate it if you or anyone else reading this post could confirm that it was Norris who attended Audie Days in 2008. As you know Thronton said he had attended several.
I have writtenn Norris, back in December and haven't heard from him. I would use the confirmation in a follow-up if anyone can confirm his attendance.

Thanks,

Dave