Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Sergeant Major William 'Billy' Waugh, a retired Special Forces soldier received eight (8) Purple Hearts (for wounds recieved in combat) and who holds the record alongside 6 others for the most awards of the Purple Heart in modern history (post 1917) has endorsed the petition. He served 24 years on active duty and continues to serve in various capacities to this day.
The Purple Heart is only awarded for separate wounds and Sergeant Major Waugh received all of his Purple Hearts in Vietnam. He was also the first person to make a HALO (High Altitude-Low Opening) combat parachute jump and set the standard for HALO as is used today by our Special Forces. Sergeant Major Waugh also made the last HALO combat HALO jump of the Vietnam War.
In addition, he lead the last combat special reconnaissance parachute insertion by Special Forces into denied (occupied) territory that was held by NVA troops on June 22, 1971.
I believe Sergeant Major Waugh served a total of 8 tours of duty in Vietnam or a cumulative total of roughly 8 years.
In addition, Sergeant Major Waugh served as a CIA operative both on active duty with Special Forces and in covert operations as a retiree. He is a Silver Star Medal recipient and a heck of a fighter.
His wiki bio is very short but interesting. In 2001, at age 71, and shortly after 9/11 he was operating as a CIA Operative with the Ground Branch of the CIA in Afghanistan involved in the hunt for Bin Laden at Tora Bora. Afterwards, he served in Iraq as a contractor as well.
I don't know what Billy is doing now, but he was still working as a contractor for the military as late as 2009. He is now 82 years of age and has been involved in covert work for over 50 years.
Sergeant Major Waugh is the author of the book: "Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's 50 Years on the Frontlines of the War Against Terrorism"

Here is his bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Waugh

Here is his endorsement:

Sergeant Major Waugh is a true American hero and patriot.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

Last edited by Audie'sDad on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 am 

A very interesting figure, and I like his heartfelt comment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:56 am 
Site Admin

Wow. I always wondered if guys like SGM Waugh existed. Now I know. What a resume ... this guy has had an amazing life. I wonder if he has a classified military 201 file and, if so, what kinds of classified awards are listed in there. I may have to find this man's book and read it!

Great job, Dave.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Wow. I always wondered if guys like SGM Waugh existed. Now I know. What a resume ... this guy has had an amazing life. I wonder if he has a classified military 201 file and, if so, what kinds of classified awards are listed in there. I may have to find this man's book and read it!

Yeah, my immediate reaction upon reading Dave's summary of Sgt Waugh's career was "wow, the 'real Mr. Clark'* was a paratrooper. Who knew?" :D

*Tom Clancy has always maintained-or at least he did when I was still reading his books regularly-that one of the characters he wrote about, the Navy SEAL turned anti-narcotics vigilante turned CIA operative known as John Clark, is based loosely on someone he actually met, so speculating about the identity of the 'real Mr. Clark' was something of a game among the Clancy fans I knew.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:53 pm 

Christie wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:

Yeah, my immediate reaction upon reading Dave's summary of Sgt Waugh's career was "wow, the 'real Mr. Clark'* was a paratrooper. Who knew?" :D

*Tom !!! has always maintained-or at least he did when I was still reading his books regularly-that one of the characters he wrote about, the Navy SEAL turned anti-narcotics vigilante turned CIA operative known as John Clark, is based loosely on someone he actually met, so speculating about the identity of the 'real Mr. Clark' was something of a game among the !!! fans I knew.

Oh, they do indeed exist Christie and I have known a few over my time. They are the ones who often with no recognition or public appearances go out and do their duty because of a sense of obligation to Country and mankind. I salute them all!

Thanks,
Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."