Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:19 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Some time ago (back in April) when I made the announcement that the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor nominating board had met a and selected the recipient for 2011, I mentioned that although Audie was not the recipient there was some more good news that came out of the event b ut that I would not release what the news was until I was certain that the Texas Legislature would keep their word.
Well, they did!
My wife omitted to inform me that I had received two letters from the Legislature reference Audie and more importantly the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
I had been informed by the assistant to Lt Gov. David Dewhurst, that although Audie was not the 2011 recipient of the Texas Legislative Medal of Honor, the nominating committee had decided to send a joint letter or resolution to President Obama standing in support of the award of the Presidential Medal ofFreedom for Audie.
I am proud to be able to inform you all that the committee chairpersons did indeed keep their word and sent a joint letter to the President requesting that the Presidential Medal of Freedom be awarded to Audie.
Please see the letters below.
Thanks again for all the help, encouraement, and support you have all given me with this endeavor to honor Audie. I return next week and then will begin to finalize the nomination.

Will keep everyone posted as this progresses!

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

I am looking forward seeing all of this come together. What a great way to start Thanksgiving ... reading these letters beats anything I can think of in a while.

Let me know if I can help with the final process Dave.

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 am 

Let's hope these letters, along with the petitions, will cause the President to consider awarding Audie this honor. I don't know how he can ignore the wishes of so many people. Thanks for all your hard work Dave. Looks like the Texas Speaker came through :-bd . **== **== **== **== **==

Glad you're going to be home for Christmas \:D/ .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:26 am 
Trusted Scholar

Again, Dave, I'd like to add my thanks to you for your hard work and selfless endeavor to see that Audie is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

I'm hoping that your hard work will pay off!!!!

***Teri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:38 am 

You do amazing work, Dave! As Teri says, thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:21 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
I am looking forward seeing all of this come together. What a great way to start Thanksgiving ... reading these letters beats anything I can think of in a while.

Let me know if I can help with the final process Dave.

Richard

Richard:

Thanks for the note. I will keep you posted as this thing progresses.

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:25 am 

Betty wrote:
Let's hope these letters, along with the petitions, will cause the President to consider awarding Audie this honor. I don't know how he can ignore the wishes of so many people. Thanks for all your hard work Dave. Looks like the Texas Speaker came through :-bd . **== **== **== **== **==

Glad you're going to be home for Christmas \:D/ .

Bety:

Yes, it was refreshing to see that the Speaker came through and kept his word.
I hope that the President will come through as well, and I feel more confident that this will happen than I did last year.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:28 am 

Teri Edge wrote:
Again, Dave, I'd like to add my thanks to you for your hard work and selfless endeavor to see that Audie is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

I'm hoping that your hard work will pay off!!!!

***Teri

Thanks Teri! Sometimes I get angry, frustrated, and even a bit worried, but I do think it might just work out.
If it does pay off it will have been worth it....and even if it doesn't!

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:31 am 

Christie wrote:
You do amazing work, Dave! As Teri says, thank you!

Thank you Christie. I appreciate the compliment!

Dave **==

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:46 pm 

Audie'sDad wrote:
Sometimes I get angry, frustrated, and even a bit worried, but I do think it might just work out.

Even if it doesn't 'pay off', it's surely an accomplishment you can be proud of. A lot of folks know about Audie that didn't before, and even more have learned SOOO MUCH more about Audie, all thanks to your efforts. But I can't see how the President could POSSIBLY ignore this. Audie will get his PMoF in the end; I am sure of it.

And we are all proud of you :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:27 pm 
Researcher

Sure would feel a lot better about it if we had someone else in the White House. Not sure he'd know a hero from a gyro. Hope I'm wrong about him. Looking at some of those who have been honored with the Freedom award, he should have been honored years ago. It's kind of like looking at the honorees in the Cowboy Hall of Fame and finding that Johnny Mack Brown isn't in it, or that Pat Boone and Connie Francis aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 am 

Eva wrote:
Audie'sDad wrote:
Sometimes I get angry, frustrated, and even a bit worried, but I do think it might just work out.

Even if it doesn't 'pay off', it's surely an accomplishment you can be proud of. A lot of folks know about Audie that didn't before, and even more have learned SOOO MUCH more about Audie, all thanks to your efforts. But I can't see how the President could POSSIBLY ignore this. Audie will get his PMoF in the end; I am sure of it.

Thanks Eva:

I am proud of what has been accomplished irrespective of the outcome and I agree perhaps more know of Audie and what he accomplished as a result. In any case, I do hope this President takes the time to bestow this final honor, one which should have been awarded many years ago.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:13 pm 
Researcher

Audie'sDad wrote:
Eva wrote:
Audie'sDad wrote:

Thanks Eva:

I am proud of what has been accomplished irrespective of the outcome and I agree perhaps more know of Audie and what he accomplished as a result. In any case, I do hope this President takes the time to bestow this final honor, one which should have been awarded many years ago.
Dave

I've often wondered why George W. Bush didn't do this when he was president. I guess no one ever brought it up to him. It's a shame he isn't in office now Dave, with this spectacular petition drive you've orchestrated, he'd do it without a doubt. Seems like he proclaimed a Audie Murphy day when he was governor of Texas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:45 pm 

I'VE SEEN A PICTURE OF RALPH HALL PRESENTING GW BUSH WITH ONE OF THE SMALL STATUE'S LIKE THE BIG ONE AT THE MUSEUM IN THE OVAL OFFICE, SO BUSH HAS A STATUE AND ACCORDING TO RALPH HALL WAS VERY PROUOD TO HAVE IT. WISH I REMEMBERED WHERE I SAW THAT AND COULD PUT IT ON HERE.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:22 pm 

david williams wrote:
I'VE SEEN A PICTURE OF RALPH HALL PRESENTING GW BUSH WITH ONE OF THE SMALL STATUE'S LIKE THE BIG ONE AT THE MUSEUM IN THE OVAL OFFICE, SO BUSH HAS A STATUE AND ACCORDING TO RALPH HALL WAS VERY PROUOD TO HAVE IT. WISH I REMEMBERED WHERE I SAW THAT AND COULD PUT IT ON HERE.

I think it was in the Greenville paper David. I saw it in some of my stuff not long ago. I'll look for it and put it on the board if I find it.