Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:15 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Attachment:
File comment: Front page
The Movie - Issue 45 - 1980 001.JPG
The Movie - Issue 45 - 1980 001.JPG [ 342.65 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 900 (yes, that's correct!!!!)
The Movie - Issue 45 - 1980 900.JPG
The Movie - Issue 45 - 1980 900.JPG [ 297.05 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]

I am including the index page for reference. Apologies that it isn't cleaned; I wasn't planning on posting it. I scanned it just for my own reference, but decided to give y'all a bit of background since it doesn't seem to be an ordinary periodical.
Attachment:
File comment: index page
The Movie - Issue 45 - 1980 Index.JPG
The Movie - Issue 45 - 1980 Index.JPG [ 366.81 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:55 am 

I'm guessing this is one of those publications that gather their issues into booklike volumes, and the stupidly high page numbers are in connection with that.

Other thoughts:

-I think that's the first time I've ever seen a British publication describe the title character in Quiet American as the "hero." They probably got some hate mail about that, next issue. :))

-Mike Merrick: "jaded." Yay, someone who almost gets what Murph was trying to do in Trunk to Cairo, although the author seems to not think it a good thing. Also, it's nice to have the Hebrew language title for that film (Mivtsa Kahir).

-Isn't that a still of Gale Storm with Audie Murphy in the Kid from Texas, that they are mislabeling as being of him and Wanda?

-Filmography seems a bit off: no Bullet for a Badman, and the release dates seem to be off on some of the others. But maybe they're just reflecting British releases?

-Otherwise, a decent one-page summary with a neutral to respectful tone and without the usual drum-beating about how his acting skills were a crime against nature or something. :-@

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 am 

Christie wrote:
-Isn't that a still of Gale Storm with Audie Murphy in the Kid from Texas, that they are mislabeling as being of him and Wanda?

Yeah, that was glaringly obvious. Stupid mistake. =))

I didn't go through all the items in the filmography; just ran a quick eyeball over them. You may be right about the British release dates. May be worth checking IMDb on that?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 am 

Well, I checked the couple of movies that didn't look right here, and although I didn't see English releases dates on IMDB it looks like the American dates did in fact line up with what this publication has. (Case in point: I always thought of Trunk as a 1967 release, but this magazine has it as a 1966 release and IMDB says it was released in the states December of 1966, so I was wrong on that one :-?? )

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 am 
Site Admin

The filmography also gives the name of Audie's seventeenth movie as World in my Pocket. Was that the British name? The author makes the effort of listing American and British names when they are different but fails to give the American title, World in my Corner for this particular film. A little thing, I guess.

I like the fact that you included the inside page to the cover, Eva. It tells me, among other things, that there were 26 printings every six months and I think you can safely assume that there are/were a total of 52 annually. Chapter 45 must have been published the 45th week of the year, or about the first week of November 1980.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
The filmography also gives the name of Audie's seventeenth movie as World in my Pocket. Was that the British name? The author makes the effort of listing American and British names when they are different but fails to give the American title, World in my Corner for this particular film. A little thing, I guess.

I am assuming that is a typo. IMDb doesn't list a different title for England. Here are the different titles listed in IMDb:
Quote:
Champion Kid Sweden
I gangster del ring Italy
Luzes no Ringue Portugal (imdb display title)
Solo contra el mundo Chile
To ftohopaido me tin atsalenia grothia Greece (imdb display title)
Viimeinen ottelu Finland

I also have a scan of a poster:
Attachment:
File comment: image from eBay
1800 Poster I04.jpg
1800 Poster I04.jpg [ 113.95 KiB | Viewed 1261 times ]

I am assuming it is Belgian because they usually show 2 titles; French & Flemish.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:26 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
I like the fact that you included the inside page to the cover, Eva. It tells me, among other things, that there were 26 printings every six months and I think you can safely assume that there are/were a total of 52 annually. Chapter 45 must have been published the 45th week of the year, or about the first week of November 1980.

Yeah, I thought this one was different enough to be worth showing. Glad you were able to use the info.

I usually scan the index page when I scan the mags, for my own records. I don't bother scanning it at 300 dpi then cleaning/cropping the image before reducing to 40%/120 dpi like I do with the interesting stuff; I just scan it at 120 and save as is, but I DO upload them to my Fotki private along with all the other "raw" scans. First thing I do after transferring my scans to this PC. Functions as a backup before I do the cleanup etc. I'm a nut for backups =)) I also have a stand-alone hard drive which has copies of ALL my images. I work too hard for this stuff to take a chance of having my hard drive crash!

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]