Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:54 am 

Hi all,

There are hundreds of photos up until Audie filmed 40 Guns To Apache Pass in 1967, and I enjoy seeing those. However, I can find relatively few images of Audie after that year. Even when you use Google Images & search "Audie Murphy" and "A Time For Dying," there's nothing. So if you have any photos from '67 thru '71, I would love to see them here.

Also, is there a final photo of Audie? I assume there must be at least one from early May 1971.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi, Jeremy! My impression is that he didn't do a lot in the way of public appearances in the last four years of his life, which is why there are a lot fewer pictures of him from that time. A lot of the ones we do have are related to him being arrested and tried over the altercation with the dog trainer, in 1970, plus a couple of formal portrait photos (possibly airbrushed?) from the winter of 70-71, plus a surprising and eerie number from April-May 1971: some of it is because he was doing some relatively high-profile stuff in Nashville in that timeframe, but others are just kind of random.

Dave Phillips has one that used to be on his facebook account, a small polaroid believed to have been taken on May 27-28, 1971, in Atlanta, before he set out on his last plane trip. That would be the "last ever" picture of Audie Murphy. It's a head-to-thigh length shot of him posing with a woman of his own age or a bit younger-obviously a fan. He's carrying a pair of sunglasses in one hand while wearing a medium gray blazer and pants and coordinated tie with a charcoal-colored shirt. You can't make out his face very clearly because it's a smallish pic: the net impression I got was of a friendly, but jet-lagged expression with only a mild smile-no teeth showing. He looked very flushed or suntanned for some reason, at least compared to the woman in the picture.

Here's a couple from Vic Mizzone's collection on flickr:

Murphy with radio personality George Putnam, ca 1968: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41976766@N00/4337801909/

Murphy with Scott Turner's wife and the Turners' infant daughter (Murphy's goddaughter?) ca 1968-1969: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41976766@N00/4201885088/

Murphy ca 1970, chatting up a boxer with his lawyer, the boxer's manager:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41976766@N ... hotostream

screencap from 1968 tv interview, probably talking about veterans' issues:

formal portrait, winter of 1970-1971:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:43 am 
Researcher

Here's a couple from Vic Mizzone's collection on flickr:

Murphy with Scott Turner's wife and the Turners' infant daughter (Murphy's goddaughter?) ca 1968-1969: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41976766@N00/4201885088/

Didn't realize that Audie's hair was receding until I saw this picture. Did he ever wear a toupee at anytime in his last years?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:02 am 

great replies so far; that last formal shot is outstanding. I'm surprised it's not seen more often. I am curious about seeing that Atlanta shot.

I just found these two pics on Boyd Magers' Western Clippings website. Here is the link to them. Scroll about 3/4 down the page. The one with Scott Turner doesn't have a date; maybe 1969? If someone knows for sure, let me know.

http://www.westernclippings.com/treasur ... ry_4.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:21 am 

Just found those photos (including the possible last image) you mentioned in the "Audie Murphy American Legend" Facebook group. If you hadn't mentioned Dave Phillips's name, would never have known. So I appreciate your help very much.

There was also one on there of Audie doing a May 1971 appearance on a local Nashville show called "The Noon Show" with Arte Johnson of Laugh-In fame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 pm 

Here's a "behind the scenes" from A TIME FOR DYING. Other than that, there are a load of "snappys" from it on the main web site.
Attachment:
TFD-S01.JPG
TFD-S01.JPG [ 43.34 KiB | Viewed 2248 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:47 pm 

I also have a couple from the "dog trainer incident". Apologies if I have posted them before.
Attachment:
Obit-2.jpg
Obit-2.jpg [ 67.72 KiB | Viewed 2246 times ]

Attachments:
GOF.jpg
GOF.jpg [ 100.89 KiB | Viewed 2246 times ]
HCP052805.JPG
HCP052805.JPG [ 55.23 KiB | Viewed 2246 times ]
RRU21885.jpg
RRU21885.jpg [ 29.16 KiB | Viewed 2246 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:01 pm 

One from the program for the "Golden Boots Awards 1985". I don't know the year, but my guess is around the filming of "A Time for Dying"; i.e '69 or thereabouts.
Attachment:
Golden Boot Awards 1985 IFP e.JPG
Golden Boot Awards 1985 IFP e.JPG [ 46.44 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm 

I also have another from about the same time as the "formal portrait, winter of 1970-1971:" from Vic's Flickr site. Memory tells me it is quite similar to that pic (which I also have), but I can't seem to locate it right now. It may be on the other 'puter, or maybe I never scanned it. I'll get back to y'all :D

There just aren't that many pics available from his last few years. :((

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:31 pm 

Eva wrote:
I also have another from about the same time as the "formal portrait, winter of 1970-1971:" from Vic's Flickr site. Memory tells me it is quite similar to that pic (which I also have), but I can't seem to locate it right now. It may be on the other 'puter, or maybe I never scanned it. I'll get back to y'all :D

As you say, there's not a lot out there, =(( considering how heavily he was photographed earlier in his life.

I thought I saw the alternate formal portrait either among your snappys from the Biography episode, or in Col. Simpson's book.

Bob: The Noon Show pic is the only one I've seen that kind of looks like he's wearing a toupee; the others mostly look like he's taking advantage of the fashion for longish hair on men to do some creative combing along the hairline.

Jeremy: that picture of Murphy and Turner is in Col. Simpson's book, and also somewhere in the photos section on this site, candids section, I think. Simpson describes it as taken from a 16mm film and shot around May 18, 1971, which make me think it might have been from this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269980/

The film seems to be more or less lost.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm 

Christie wrote:
I thought I saw the alternate formal portrait either among your snappys from the Biography episode, or in Col. Simpson's book.

AHA! :)) I didn't think to look there. I have so much stuff all over; hard to keep track :lol:
Attachment:
File comment: From the "BIOGRAPHY" DVD
bio-58.jpg
bio-58.jpg [ 32.18 KiB | Viewed 2235 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: From the "BIOGRAPHY" DVD
bio-64.jpg
bio-64.jpg [ 37.07 KiB | Viewed 2235 times ]

I think the second one is the same as the one from Vic's Flickr, but closer up.

I don't have anything scanned from SIMPSON yet; that baby is HEAVY!!! I am just starting to catch up on my books.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 pm 

Here's another one from eBay; from the dog-trainer incident. I didn't win this one :(( It went for over $50 :-!

Attachments:
File comment: pic from eBay
Charged.jpg
Charged.jpg [ 94.36 KiB | Viewed 2230 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:04 pm 

Eva wrote:
Here's another one from eBay; from the dog-trainer incident. I didn't win this one :(( It went for over $50 :-!

@-) Wow. Hadn't seen that one before. He must be describing the actual fight here, with a bit of high speed handwaving-most likely explanation for the distorted right hand, and the very embarrassed look on the guy sitting next to him.

Thank you for pulling all of these together in one place!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:15 pm 

Christie wrote:
Eva wrote:

@-) Wow. Hadn't seen that one before. He must be describing the actual fight here, with a bit of high speed handwaving-most likely explanation for the distorted right hand, and the very embarrassed look on the guy sitting next to him.

Thank you for pulling all of these together in one place!

Should have posted the notes from the listing too:
Quote:
Actor War Hero Audie Murphy Explains Arrest Battery Charges Press Photo

Beverly Hills Calif: Gestures as he tells of events that led up to his arrest on charges of Battery and assault with the intent to commit murder. Murphy is accused of beating and then shooting a gun at David Gofstein, a dog trainer...........6-5-1970.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 pm 

Eva wrote:

This is the one I had in mind.
Attachment:
b5-14.jpg
b5-14.jpg [ 58.82 KiB | Viewed 2214 times ]