Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

More on Joe Butterfly and Audie in Tokyo ...

Attachments:
File comment: Pacific Stars And Stripes, June 12, 1956, page 11
1956_06-06_S&S.jpg
1956_06-06_S&S.jpg [ 200.64 KiB | Viewed 961 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I was interested in the Hotel Nikkatsu thinking that maybe I could go there and see if pictures were available or maybe even see an old hotel register. Anyway, I referenced a few very obscure Internet sources and the hotel seems to be gone. But I did get a general address. It seems that the Hotel Nikkatsu was located at Yurakucho, Chiyoda-ku in Tokyo. One source said that the hotel has long been closed and because of the area, it has probably been bulldozed and replaced with other lavish buildings. This area is smack dab next to the emperor's place of residence.

Based on a Hotel Nikkatsu luggage sticker (below) which I spotted on Ebay, the hotel apparently was situated across from the Imperial Palace moat, famous for its swans, where the Japanese emperor still resides today. With the help of a modern Tokyo map, the hotel could have been located along the stately avenues of Uchibori Dori or Hibiya Dori.

If you trust how I string all these details together to create a logical guess, then this information may be interesting. I am pretty sure I'm right ... the best hotels in the days of the 50's were in that very district.

Sorry for the minutia. It probably isn't worth a cup of Starbucks coffee (about 500 yen or $5 on Uchibori Dori) but it brings Audie Murphy closer to me. Someday, I will post a picture of that moat I took a while back and you can appreciate the swans the way I have and the way Audie might have.

Attachments:
NikkatsuHotel.jpg
NikkatsuHotel.jpg [ 104.4 KiB | Viewed 955 times ]

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]