Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:10 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

What is the name of the general who betrays the army in Column South?

Attachments:
1716-sf166.jpg
1716-sf166.jpg [ 61.67 KiB | Viewed 2227 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:16 pm 

Another trivia question: The name of the actor who plays Lt. Sayre's friend? In what other Audie movies can he be found? As friend or as enemy?

Please TRY to reply without checking IMDb first.

Attachments:
1716-sf035.jpg
1716-sf035.jpg [ 41 KiB | Viewed 2227 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 pm 

Well, I still haven't seen the film yet, but the tall guy in the second picture looks kind of like Jack Kelly, which would make him a "friend" in his other well-known Murphy movie. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 pm 

THE 'FRIEND' IS GREGG PALMER. THAT WAS EASY SINCE I HAVE MET HIM AT AUDIE DAYS SEVERAL TIMES. MAKES IT EASIER TO SPOT IN STUFF WHEN YOU ACTUALLY MET AND TALKED WITH THEM.

SIDE NOTE ON GREGG, WHEN HE CAME TO AUDIE DAYS IN JUNE OF 2005, DEBBIE WAS VERY PREGNANT AND WE HAD HIM AUTOGRAPH A PICTURE TO CASSIDY SUMMER-NOEL, AS WE ALREADY KNEW SHE WAS A GIRL AND ALREADY HAD HER NAME PICKED OUT. HE SAID THAT WAS THE 1ST TIME IN HIS LIFE HE AUTOGRAPHED SOMETHING TO AN UNBORN CHILD! PAUL PICERNI WAS THERE AND DID THE SAME. VERY NEAT MOMENTOS FOR HER LATER IN LIFE.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:45 pm 

david williams wrote:
THE 'FRIEND' IS GREGG PALMER. THAT WAS EASY SINCE I HAVE MET HIM AT AUDIE DAYS SEVERAL TIMES. MAKES IT EASIER TO SPOT IN STUFF WHEN YOU ACTUALLY MET AND TALKED WITH THEM.

How was he billed in this movie?

Other roles in Audie movies?

david williams wrote:
SIDE NOTE ON GREGG, WHEN HE CAME TO AUDIE DAYS IN JUNE OF 2005, DEBBIE WAS VERY PREGNANT AND WE HAD HIM AUTOGRAPH A PICTURE TO CASSIDY SUMMER-NOEL, AS WE ALREADY KNEW SHE WAS A GIRL AND ALREADY HAD HER NAME PICKED OUT. HE SAID THAT WAS THE 1ST TIME IN HIS LIFE HE AUTOGRAPHED SOMETHING TO AN UNBORN CHILD! PAUL PICERNI WAS THERE AND DID THE SAME. VERY NEAT MOMENTOS FOR HER LATER IN LIFE.

Neat! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:15 am 

HE WAS BILLED AS LEE PALMER. OR PALMER LEE. YEAH, I THINK THE LATTER. I THINK HE WAS ACTUALLY GREGG IN TO HELL AND BACK BUT NOT SURE. HAVEN'T LOOKED AT IMDB YET. ALL FROM MEMPORY. SO FAR.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 am 

david williams wrote:
HE WAS BILLED AS LEE PALMER. OR PALMER LEE. YEAH, I THINK THE LATTER. I THINK HE WAS ACTUALLY GREGG IN TO HELL AND BACK BUT NOT SURE. HAVEN'T LOOKED AT IMDB YET. ALL FROM MEMPORY. SO FAR.

Yep, Palmer Lee. Good memory, David :) Or rather, good mempory :lol:

He was also Palmer Lee in Cimarron Kid, where he was one of the minor Daltons. He wasn't listed in the on-screen credits, but my Danish program book has him listed as Palmer Lee.

He didn't turn into Gregg Palmer until THaB, where he played Lt. Manning. He also appeared in Quick Gun as one of Spangler's baddies, again billed as Gregg Palmer. So he appeared with Audie no less than 4 times.

At this point I was the one to cheat by looking him up on IMdB. He was born Palmer Lee, but seems to have changed his name around 1954.

If he shows up at Audie Days again, you might get the story behind the name change, which I have always found fascinating. I actually liked the name Palmer Lee better, but maybe he felt like a Gregg.

One tends to notice the actors who appear repeatedly in Audie's movies. I remember when I first noticed the name change. The first time I saw Column South I felt that I recognized him; I had just seen seen THaB, maybe a week or two before, but the name wasn't the same, and I think he had added a little weight between the two; he didn't look exactly the same. Or maybe it was the uniform. It took me a little time to decide that it was, indeed, the same actor. That was a bit before IMdB :lol:

Attachments:
1716-sf025.jpg
1716-sf025.jpg [ 59.43 KiB | Viewed 2204 times ]
File comment: From Cimarron Kid
1675-s12.jpg
1675-s12.jpg [ 67.23 KiB | Viewed 2204 times ]
File comment: From THaB
1769-s045.jpg
1769-s045.jpg [ 57.93 KiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:14 am 

IT SEEMS LIKE I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE NAME CHANGE, OR MAYBE IT WAS SUE GOSSETT TOLD ME AS SHE KNOWS HIM VERY WELL. CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH ONE TOLD ME AND DON'T REMEMBER THE WHY OF IT. THIS MEM(P)ORY OF MINE IS NOT DOING SO GOOD ANY MORE IT SEEMS LIKE. :roll: SUE TOLD ME LAST YEAR HE MIGHT BE COMING AGAIN THIS YEAR, BUT ACCORDING TO LARRY WINTERS HE IS HAVING SOME KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY RIGHT BEFORE THEN AND WON'T MAKE IT.

MY BEST ROLL FOR HIM THAT I CAN WATCH OVER AND OVER AGAIN IS IN BIG JAKE. I LOVE THAT MOVIE! WATCHED IT ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND CAUGHT A BLOOPER FOR THE 1ST TIME: WHEN HE REACHED UP TO TAKE THE HOOD OFF LITTLE JAKE(ETHAN WAYNE) HE SWITCHED THE LANTERN FROM HIS RIGHT HAND TO HIS LEFT SO HE COULD REACH UP WITH HIS RIGHT. HE REACHED UP WITH HIS RIGHT, BUT WHEN IT SWITCHED TO CLOSE UP, A LEFT HAND REMOVED THE HOOD! DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE WATCHED THAT AND JUST CAUGHT IT.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am 

david williams wrote:
MY BEST ROLL FOR HIM THAT I CAN WATCH OVER AND OVER AGAIN IS IN BIG JAKE. I LOVE THAT MOVIE! WATCHED IT ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND CAUGHT A BLOOPER FOR THE 1ST TIME: WHEN HE REACHED UP TO TAKE THE HOOD OFF LITTLE JAKE(ETHAN WAYNE) HE SWITCHED THE LANTERN FROM HIS RIGHT HAND TO HIS LEFT SO HE COULD REACH UP WITH HIS RIGHT. HE REACHED UP WITH HIS RIGHT, BUT WHEN IT SWITCHED TO CLOSE UP, A LEFT HAND REMOVED THE HOOD! DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE WATCHED THAT AND JUST CAUGHT IT.

I am not much of a John Wayne fan, but I DO have Big Jake on (home recorded) DVD. I'll have to watch it again one of these days just to see that blooper.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am 

Nobody ever replied about the general.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 am 
Serious Researcher

I believe Gen. Stone was played by Ray Collins.

Ann

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:53 pm 

Ann wrote:
I believe Gen. Stone was played by Ray Collins.

Ann

Correct, but not QUITE what I was fishing for. I'll just give it to y'all:
Attachment:
File comment: Ending credits. Please note that the General is named "Brig. Gen. Storey".
1716-x20.jpg
1716-x20.jpg [ 84.75 KiB | Viewed 2196 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: During the story, when we are taken to the general's HQ, he is called "General B.N. Stone".
1716-x21.jpg
1716-x21.jpg [ 68.73 KiB | Viewed 2196 times ]

At least once during the actual dialog he is called "GENERAL STONE". So, should we simply assume that the ending credits are wrong?

I stumbled over this discrepancy when I was proof-reading the credits on the main web site.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:10 pm 

I DIDN'T KNOW THE GENERAL WITHOUT CHEATING ON IMDB SO DIDN'T TRY. THAT IS A HUGE BLOOPER IN THE CREDITS. I GUESS THEY DIDN'T HAVE AN EDITER BACK THEN TO PROOF THERE CREDITS BEFORE FINAL PRINT.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:11 pm 

OR MAYBE THEY JUST DID IT FROM MEM(P)ORY. OH, THOSE WONDERFUL TYPOS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 pm 

Dear Eva and David W. You folks make this web site sooo interesting and inviting to visit. I just
love trivia games and especially about the co actors in Audie's movies !!!! I thought Ray Collins
was great as Lt. Trag in the Perry Mason series. He was soo loveably Cranky in that character.
I know he played that character for many years. And of course I love Eva's Snappy's. I know I
have watched Column South at least a couple of times minimum and never once caught that
Blooper. I hope you are all well and take care you two. Just my thoughts, Shirley Jean.