Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 pm 

I am attempting to prove or disprove a family story that V. V. Laughlin was Audie's commander towards the end of the war. Both were from Texas and served together. V V Laughlin recieved a Comission After the invasion of Africa and before Entry into Sicily. I guess I am looking any documents to support this claim, it would lend credit to other stories. Has anyone seen such a document(s)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:20 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Murphy's military career is pretty well-documented in terms of where he was posted at what time, so your best bet would probably be to check out one of the biographies from the library and compare it against what information you have on Laughlin. No Name on the Bullet by Don Graham is the most readily available of the Murphy biographies, and is considered reasonably reliable on the military stuff, less so when it comes to the postwar stuff.

If you need help finding service records on Col. Laughlin, this might be a good place to start: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 pm 

Hello,
In reading your request, my first thought that comes to mind is for you to check out Col. Harold B.
Simpson's book "American Soldier" which is considered the "Bible" on Audie Murphy and goes into
extensive description as to Major Murphy's WWII war history. Probably even more so than
Graham's book, "No Name on the Bullet". Just my thought's . Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:36 am 
Site Admin

jallen wrote:
I am attempting to prove or disprove a family story that V. V. Laughlin was Audie's commander towards the end of the war. Both were from Texas and served together. V V Laughlin recieved a Comission After the invasion of Africa and before Entry into Sicily. I guess I am looking any documents to support this claim, it would lend credit to other stories. Has anyone seen such a document(s)?
THE HISTORY OF THE 3RD INFANTRY DIVISION IN WWII by Taggart, has an appendix in it listing the names of every single soldier assigned to the 3rd ID during World War II. Have you tried to validate Laughlin's assignment to 3rd ID in that book? If not, the book is listed in the book section of this website. You might be able to pick up a copy or find one at a library somewhere. It's an amazing book.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:53 pm 

jallen wrote:

V.V. Laughlin served in the 3rd ID, 15th Regiment but I do not know it what capacity. I know V.V. Laughlin passed away in 1980 at a rather young age (62-63) Too bad, no one in your family got either a written or taped recollection from him prior to his passing, or so it appears.
I do know that when the war ended he was a Major.
It is very possible that Major Laughlin served as Audie's Commander when Audie was assigned as a Liason Officer with the Regimental HQ's.
I am in touch with the old S-1 clerk (personell) who would have been knowledgeable of Major Laughlin. I will run the name by him and see if he remembers him.
In any case, he would not have for example been a Company Commander no a Platoon Leader of Murphy's due to his having been a Major at the end of the war unless he was reecntly promoted from Capatin or they needed a tempory Company Commander with B Company.
At this point, I find it very compelling that he was indeed Audie's Commander or at least served in the same unit at the same time.
Again, will see what I can find out.
Sorry for the delay in responding.

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 am 
Serious Researcher

I've always thought the numbers argument was a little moot. Not that I don't agree that Murphy had the most and best of them, but the point is, I think, who was singled out by the army and the media as the symbol for our returning GI's? He was the country's apotheosis (exalted example) for courage and bravery in wartime.

IMHO, he still is.

Ann

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:38 pm 

jallen wrote:

James,
Thanks for the PM this morning. I will be in touch with you over the next few days.
I may have a lead on V.V.!
Thanks,
Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."