Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patton and Murphy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:59 am 

As commander of Third Army, Patton must have been aware of Audie Murphy. Are there any quotes by Patton that would indicate how he felt about Audie Murphy? It would seem to me that he would be Patton's kind of guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:49 pm 
Serious Researcher

Actually, I believe that the only time Murphy served under Patton was in Sicily, while he was still an inexperienced corporal, with surprising potential, but not likely to be noticed by the higher-up brass. Murphy was in the 3rd Division, which was assigned to Patton's 7th Army at that time. But by the landing at Salarno, on the Italian mainland, the 3rd Division was a part of the 5th Army under Mark Clark. When the 3rd landed in southern France, again with the 7th, that army was being led by Alexander Patch. It was Patch who presented Murphy with his MOH. Charles Whiting has written an excellent book of the 7th Army, America's Forgotten Army. I, personally, was not impressed with Whiting's book on Murphy, but this study of the 7th is much better.

There is, however, an interesting story involving Murphy and Mark Clark. I included it in my book:

Quote:
Nick Clooney related that in his autobiography, Here's Johnny, de Cordova recalled an incident that occurred on the set of ?Column South.? As part of a publicity gimmick, General Mark Clark visited the movie set, only to be put down by Murphy for not remembering that even Generals salute Medal of Honor winners. When de Cordova asked Murphy why he did it, Murphy replied, ?Too many men who didn't have to died at Anzio." What de Cordova may not have been aware of was that Murphy had just returned from Summer Camp with the 36th Division. The 36th's memories of Clark were hardly pleasant. In fact, shortly after the war ended, the division brought Clark up on charges that he had unnecessarily sacrificed the lives of many T-Patcher's at San Pietro. The general was officially cleared of the charge, but his reputation for putting his own publicity ahead of the safety of his troops had lingered. It may be that Murphy behaved so uncharacteristically because he thought that the incident might give tacit approval to Clark's actions, and resented being used.

Ann

Post subject: Mark Clark
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:02 am 
Novice Member

Hadn't heard of the "meeting" between Clark and Audie. Good for Audie. Clark was the most unqualified general this country has ever seen. He deserved to be court-martialed for what he did to his Soldiers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:31 am 

I actually read the same story with Mark Clarke but it was on the set of the "Red Badge of Courage". I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

I find this an interesting topic so let me throw in something I have puzzled over for a number of years.

I heard, maybe from my father, that sometime after the war ended, the State of Texas legislature passed a law which made it illegal for Mark Clark to set foot in Texas. And as I heard the story, he never did.

I'm pretty sure I have at least part of the story right and am hoping someone can anyone verify or elaborate a little on the topic.

Post subject: Re: Patton and Murphy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:51 pm 
Researcher

docoran1 wrote:
As commander of Third Army, Patton must have been aware of Audie Murphy. Are there any quotes by Patton that would indicate how he felt about Audie Murphy? It would seem to me that he would be Patton's kind of guy.

I wonder what Audie thought of Patton, if he disliked Clark so much for "too many men dieing at Anzio, that didn't have to.?" Patton was known for pushing his troops too hard and fast, and probably lost men in doing so, that should not have died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:39 pm 

The difference between Patton and Clark was that Patton believed you might have to accept short run casualties for long term gain with the ultimate goal of saving lives. Clark on the other hand wanted to be the "one who liberated Rome" and as a result did not persur the Germans which allowed them to fortify their defensive positions. The joke was on Clark as this occurred on June 5, 1944 and his "accomplishment" was overshowdowed by D-Day on June 6.

Patton was a strategist and tactician, Clark was a publicity hound.