Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAMC Reserve Medallion?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 am 

I was told there was another SAMC Medallion. Is this true? If so where would I find an illustration of it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:41 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

slo wrote:
I was told there was another SAMC Medallion. Is this true? If so where would I find an illustration of it?

Slo, this is a web site dedicated to Audie Murphy and is not affiliated with the U.S. Army in any way. If you are a member of an Army componet (Active, Reserve, Guard) I think that question would best be answered by your unit Supply Sergeant or S-1.
I am sure none of us here would have an answer to your question.

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

slo wrote:

Don Moore, the designer of the crest and the medallion, is an acquaintance of mine. He is a illustrator in Killeen, Texas. He personally told me that the agreement he had with the Army when he designed the crest and the medallion was that it would not be altered in any way.

Some units now seem to be "personalizing" their medallion to reflect unit designation on the medallion face or rear. I don't know if Don has decided to allow this. It is more likely that he is unaware of it. In any case, all of the medallions I have ever seen are very faithful to the original design with possibly a unit name / nickname being added.

As far as a RESERVE Medallion (reference your subject line), it wouldn't surprise me that the medallion and the organization has spread to the reserves. I would have to dig into the regs governing the organization to see if there has been any changes. If there has, it would follow that a medallion for the reserves would be made available but I am not sure that it would have to be different than a medallion issued to an active duty soldier.

In my experience, the ONLY legitimate source for the medals are through the post command sergeant major's office... and normally, the medallions are maintained by the installation's Sergeant Audie Murphy Club president. For reserve components, I would check with your reserve component's Command Sergeant Major's office.

An illustration of the medallion and the crest is shown here (also found at is found at http://www.audiemurphy.com/samc.htm). It is based on a photocopiy made by Don of the original black and white line-drawing which he gave to me. The colorization of the crest is my work based on Don's description and the official description of the crest. I make a much larger, very high quality version of this image available to any SAMC club that requests it so they can print it on their club memorabilia, etc.

Attachments:
samc_2008.jpg
samc_2008.jpg [ 247.94 KiB | Viewed 1479 times ]