Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Another excellent transfer. Since it was shot in Cinemascope and Fotki reduces the Cinemascope pics too much I decided to bypass Fotki for most of the pics and instead do my own crop.

Ben Zachary is back and is greeted by his two brothers.

Attachment:
unf_s03.jpg
unf_s03.jpg [ 49.19 KiB | Viewed 1764 times ]

The Rawlins family joined the Zacharys and they are partying.

Attachment:
unf_s10.jpg
unf_s10.jpg [ 47.15 KiB | Viewed 1764 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:14 pm 
Serious Researcher

I liked this character. I think Murphy gave him a fair degree of sympathy. I only wish that the director's cut had not disappeared.

Ann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:31 pm 

The Zacharys are nervously eating breakfast.

Attachment:
unf_s23.jpg
unf_s23.jpg [ 48.87 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

A barely avoided lance hit the front door.

Attachment:
unf_s26.jpg
unf_s26.jpg [ 45.88 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm 

Everyone is out looking for Abe Kelsey.

Attachment:
unf_s33.jpg
unf_s33.jpg [ 44.03 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

Kelsey has been brought back to the Rawlins spread.

Attachment:
unf_s36.jpg
unf_s36.jpg [ 32.51 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 pm 

Cash has left home and is in the Rawlins' barn with Georgia, but he is distracted when he hears gunshots.

Attachment:
unf_s50.jpg
unf_s50.jpg [ 45.13 KiB | Viewed 1761 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:15 pm 

Ann wrote:
I liked this character. I think Murphy gave him a fair degree of sympathy. I only wish that the director's cut had not disappeared.

Ann

I didn't know there was a director's cut. How much different was it? Maybe it is still around?

IMHO, this was one of Audie's best efforts. The character had a depth that we rarely see in Audie's movies, and he was able to portray all the conflicting emotions of Cash Zachary.

I totally don't understand the critics (professional & amateur both) who think that Audie couldn't act. True, his style would not come across as well at a live performance, where one cannot see the sublety of his facial expressions, but on the silver screen we can truly appreciate him. What he could do with his eyes was a marvel to see. I only regret that he didn't have more opportunities to do complicated characters like Cash Zachary.

And then there is that moustache! I LOVE his mo in this movie! Totally heart melting!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:17 pm 
Serious Researcher

From what I've heard, the director's cut was much longer and most of the scenes cut from it were Murphy's scenes. It was said that the quality of Murph's work, under Huston's direction, was so high that Burt Lancaster chose to butcher the film rather than be shown up by our hero.

Sorry I don't have references. All this came up on the old Biography boards, but I do not remember the source.

Anyone here who was a part of that group, who has a better memory?

Ann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm 
Novice Member

I agree with Eva that Audie Murphy looks fantastic with a mustache. It seems like today many western actors, and actors who do the occasional western, have mustaches. Think about Sam Elliot or Tom Selleck without their mustaches! Ooh, perish the thought! Too bad A.M. didn't grow it earlier. [i]The Unforgiven[i] is one of my favorite Murphy films and he certainly does hold his own as an actor, and yes, he does every bit as good as Burt Lancaster if not better. The one weak link is Audrey Hepburn. She just doesn't come across as an Indian. A beautiful woman, but not an American Indian. Thanks for the photos, they make me want to put in my DVD and watch it again.

Victoria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:48 pm 
Researcher

I didn't particularly like Audie with the mustache, but I thought he did a terrific job of acting in the movie. For some reason women seem to like men with mustaches. One of my favorite Audie movies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20 pm 

Hi Folks,
So to Ann, I guess my question is, that a Director's Cut of The Unforgiven is no longer
available anywhere ????

And then my other question is I am wondering if the full mustache on Audie is his true
mustache in this film, or if it is the work of the make up department? I wonder what others
think ? I would like to think it is, but don't know for sure. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:33 pm 
Serious Researcher

I don't know about the mustache, for sure. All I remember hearing is that no one knows what happened to the Director's cut. Richard added this forum to the website in 1997, so the discussion on the Bio board would have been sometime in 1996. I can't remember the details, just that Lancaster had many of Murphy's best scenes cut from the film, and that's why the plot is so disjointed.

Ann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:23 pm 

Ann wrote:
I don't know about the mustache, for sure. All I remember hearing is that no one knows what happened to the Director's cut. Richard added this forum to the website in 1997, so the discussion on the Bio board would have been sometime in 1996. I can't remember the details, just that Lancaster had many of Murphy's best scenes cut from the film, and that's why the plot is so disjointed.

Ann

I remember reading about John Wayne not wanting Audie to be in The Alamo for the same reason; he was afraid he would be too good in it. If that's true it's a real shame.

I don't particularly like the mustache. He didn't need to hide that gorgeous face behind hair, in my opinion. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 pm 

Thanks Ann and Betty for the responses. I have put the question of whether or not a "Director's
Cut" is available on "The Unforgiven" to a film critic on line, who happens to be a very big John
Huston Fan. So we will see what he answers. Don't know if I will get a reply, but if I do, I will
post the answer here. Or at least the link to his blog at the web site. The reason why I asked about
the stash on Major Murphy's beautiful face is because of Eva Dano's excellent clear and crisp
snappy's, if you look real close you can see "beard Stubble" in between the break in the middle of
the mustache and the stubble is a little darker than the stash, and not so much red in it, so I was
just wondering if it was "Movie Magic", as they say in the trades. Either way, it looks gorgeous....
Just my thoughts. Shirley Jean.