Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Movie - The Longest Day
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 am 

Was Audie considered for/ offered a part in this film?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:54 am 
I do not know if Audie was offered a part in The Longest Day but there are photos of Audie
attending the World Premier of the film.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:52 pm 

VMizzone wrote:
I do not know if Audie was offered a part in The Longest Day but there are photos of Audie
attending the World Premier of the film.

Thanks for your response, I think that Audie should have been in this movie to honour his war record.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:18 pm 
Novice Member

If memory serves me correctly, Audie's friend Willard Willingham told me a long time ago that Audie did not want to do movies about World War II, and especially any film about the fighting in Europe. The exception to this rule was own story To Hell and Back. Audie did appear in one war movie about the Pacific Theatre of Operation called the Battle of Bloody Beach, and he did that one reluctantly. He also narrated a film called War is Hell, but did not act in it. Another costar told me that he and Audie never discussed the war, as a rule. I suspect Audie may have declined to appear in The Longest Day. If someone has more info on the topic, please let us know.

Bill Russo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:02 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Dear Bill, or should I say Dr.,
I have heard the same exact thing you have written in your post. That he refused to discuss the
war. Too Bad because had he been a little less reluctant to discuss the war, Maybe, his nightmares,
and psychological misprints might have eventually faded away like a bad dream. Just my thoughts.
Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:31 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Audie was like most of the veterans of the war. None seemed to talk of their experiences. These young men must have seen and done terrible things including the loss of their close friends, same as Audie. These veterans are dying a thousand a day and soon all will be gone. What a horrible thing to have those memories all their lives. I have so much respect for all of them. They truly are/were the greatest generation.

I think Audie may have gone to a therapist once, didn't like it and never went back.