Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:14 am 
Frequent User

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned over at the 'General' forum, I learned some interesting "trivia" last night when watching The Gun Runners with my mother. Bill Collins has an encyclopedic knowledge of his movies, and always has some interesting facts, observations, and occasionally rumours, to share.

When he introduced The Gun Runners he said the following:

1. That although Audie had a reputation for being very shy around women, he looked very confident in this role! I agree, totally - that is why I love this movie so much. Ooh, la, la ... nice body and moves, Mr A L Murphy! :mrgreen:

2. Audie wanted this role so as to shake off being typecast - I'm so glad that he did!

The introduction to The Quiet American was also on the end of this tape, and Bill Collins said:

1. Sir Lawrence Olivier apparently pulled out of the role that went to Michael Redgrave, when Audie took on the role. I always respected Sir L O prior to this, but now I am shattered. :cry: :evil: :roll: Apparently, Montgomery Clift had to decline Audie's role, due to that near-fatal car accident he had in 1956. Clift was an exceptionally talented actor, for sure, but Audie could bring his own magic to a film (as we all know).

2. Michael Redgrave was reported to have been stunned at the way Audie could refrain from blinking. I believe it was implied that Redgrave was somewhat unnerved ... my mother used to relay this story to me, but I never knew from where it originated.

3. And, I think it was the director who was worried that Audie fans would be very angry about his being killed in the opening scene of the movie! I don't like watching movies where Audie gets killed myself ... perhaps it's just a female thing.

For the record, I have not seen The Quiet American.

The above are the main points of interest, related to Audie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11 am 
Researcher

First of all, welcome to the message board! I haven't seen your name before and I am glad you joined. If you haven't seen The Quiet American, I hope you are able to see it. I don't like seeing Audie killed either. The Gun Runners is my favorite Audie Murphy movie. There isn't anyone in the cast that I don't like, The Gun Runners is a remake of "To Have and Have Not" with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. My husband and I both like Bogey and Bacall but prefer Audie's version because Audie is more believable as the captain of the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:11 am 
Frequent User

Thanks Georgana! I have enjoyed your contributions since I've discovered the forum (from what I've read).

Oh, I'm glad The Gun Runners is your favourite movie too; sometimes I get carried away by Audie's physical attractiveness, please pardon me - it's too difficult to ignore. :mrgreen: He really had it all; his looks were just another attribute he possessed - but, wow, he was so well endowed with physical appeal! In this movie, we really get an eye full! From what Bill Collins said, that was the idea in a way, as romance scenes are meant to invoke the senses. They weren't thrown in there just as part of the plot.

I always joke with my mother that Audie probably only had to breathe and the women were likely swooning and coming a-runnin'! My mother has always maintained that it isn't about Audie's good looks for her; but her blushing when he's on- screen on in conversation about him tells the story. :lol: He was her first crush as a young girl, I'm sure. Obviously, she respects him for far more than that though, just to be clear.

I knew the movie was a remake of a book, but I hadn't realised about Bogey and Becall - thanks. Bill Collins did mention another modern remake, but it was implied only - can't think of it, as it didn't appeal to me.

No offence to those other movie legends, but I'd prefer to be looking at someone with as much raw, though quiet charisma and physical appeal as Audie had in spades. I'd like to make another topic about that soon, as something just dawned on me.

I plan to watch The Quiet American. Audie getting killed in The Kid from Texas also spoilt that one for me. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:22 am 
Novice Member

I believe the information on The Quiet American came from a book named A Thinker's Damn: Audie Murphy, Vietnam, and the Making of The Quiet American. The sources for the information can be found in that book, including witnesses who reported what Audie did and said on the set to Michael Redgrave. The book features a biography of Audie within, based largely on several of Audie's close friends. That book is now available on Kindle for downloading onto computers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 am 
Frequent User

Thanks ossurworld - and welcome to the forum! I'm glad I'm not the only newbie around here. :mrgreen:

If one can download the book, isn't that a breach of copyright? Or does one pay a la itunes?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:55 am 
Novice Member

This is an ebook edition. You can download it for a small fee, much less than buying a book that has big postage costs if mailed. You can also have the book in a few minutes. It may answer many of your questions because it features interviews with the Italian actress who starred as the Vietnamese girl; her name is Giorgia Moll. Also talking is Audie's companion and best friend, Willard Willingham. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 am 
Frequent User

Thank you very much - much appreciated.

Edit: I just checked it out; it's a gadget affiliated with Amazon, if I read correctly. It's over AUD $300, but I can see the long-term gain. It's something to think about and good for the environment. :mrgreen:

I must say, I'm old-fashioned when it comes to books; I like the real thing, but I never say never.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:43 am 
Novice Member

You don't need the gadget, which is way too expensive. You can download directly to your computer.
I never bought the Kindle. I downloaded a program to open up the book on my computer. You can
first download the book sample to see before buying the book for $10 in US currency.

You can also download an app, free of charge, to an iPhone. Barnes and Noble has a reader called the Nook, similar to Kindle, and they, too, have a free app.

Ann