Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Enough with all the seriousness, let's have some fun! What's the last Audie movie you watched and how long ago was it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:08 pm 
Most Trusted & Expert Scholar

Not a movie, but a TV show. I watched "The Man" and it was terrific. One of my favorite pieces he did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm 

I hadn't watched anything by him in a while, and then went on a binge this past weekend:

-watched The Unforgiven for the first time. Murphy is good, but since he's going for a relatively realistic take on the character and everyone else is very loud and hammy and overwrought, he gets a bit lost in the shuffle.

-did an "accelerated" rewatch of 40 Guns to Apache Pass (meaning that a lot of non-Murph-related things got fast-forwarded through). I really like his performance in this, and Kenneth Tobey and Michael Burns are also pretty good. Cochise was portrayed somewhat more sympathetically than I remembered; he's not a good guy, but Tobey's character makes him look classy by comparison, and we get a little bit of Apache POV in his line about how all the whites seem to want is gold. I was surprised by the ending scene where the kid finds the wounded Captain Coburn; on this rewatch, it seemed really obvious that they had shot basically a death scene for Murph's character with the kid as witness, and then changed their minds and cut it down and redubbed it and shot the epilogue, which makes it clear that the captain and his top sergeant survive. Not that I'm complaining; we lost Murph so prematurely that it's weirdly enjoyable to see his characters cheat death.

-Rewatched Showdown. I warmed up to his and Charles Drake's performances a bit this time, they seemed better than I remembered. Kathleen Crowley came off a bit worse than I remembered. Whole thing still feels like an overly complicated mashup of Hellbent for Leather and 6 Black Horses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:36 pm 

I guess the last Audie film would be War is Hell, if that can be counted. Last week, when I got the dvd in the mail.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:48 pm 

I watched Hell Bent for Leather. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm going to watch Posse From Hell on Friday. I like this one a lot too. I enjoyed Audie and John Saxon in this one. Since it hasn't been on TV for a long time I can't wait to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

I saw the Gun Runners just before I left Japan on vacation. I haven't been able to find a reliable TV set for good reruns yet here in the states (hotels are kind of slim on pickings and their movie sources are meager).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

I saw the Gun Runners just before I left Japan on vacation. I haven't been able to find a reliable TV set for good reruns yet here in the states (hotels are kind of slim on pickings and their movie sources are meager).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:52 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

For me it was Guns at Fort Petticoat. I love that movie. It is a hoot to watch him whip these women into soldiers and they actually became pretty good too. One thing about the movie is the strong cast and how multi-layered the female characters were in it. There were very few "damsels in distress" type women which is how most female characters were written in the 1950s regardless of what genre of film you were watching. No matter how many times I watch this film, I always enjoy it thoroughly.

Another favorite is No Name on the Bullet. His performance as the steely eyed killer is nothing short of astonishing. Looking at his eyes and watching his demeanor you could see why the townspeople were terrified of him. He was one scary dude although not as much as he was in The Man. Thelma Ritter was unnerved working with him and you can certainly see why she would have been. He was a much better actor than he thought he was and a better actor than what Hollywood thought he was. He was definitely underrated in the business.

Sharon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:19 am 
Trusted Scholar

I recorded SIX BLACK HORSES on July 4th, but still haven't watched it yet. There are so many of Audie's movies that I've not seen in a long time. I'm going to just have to set aside time to "sit down" and watch them.

I guess the last of his movies that I watched entirely was TO HELL AND BACK. Of course, my favorite as I've mentioned so many times, has to be TUMBLEWEED! I absolutely LOVE that little horse and Audie together. They have such animal/human chemistry ;))

***Teri

Thanks David for coming up with this "new" Topic!!!! :-bd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:12 am 
Frequent User

I am watching Hell Bent for Leather right now. It is one of my favorites. (Note I said one of my favorites as I have many).

I have also been watching Whispering Smith. Interesting seeng Redford and Chamberlain in early roles. Also enjoyed seeing Audie fencing and participating in a horse race. Series didn't have a chance. It is really pretty good.

Jackie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 pm 
Frequent User

Last night I intended to watch Tumbleweed, but absentmindedly put Guns of Fort Petticoat into the player so watched that instead, and enjoyed it just as much as the previous times I saw it. Besides having Audie's gorgeous horse Flying John getting plenty of screen time, it's one of my favorites because (like most of Audie's movies) it doesn't portray an entire social class as good guys or bad guys. There's peaceful Indians and renegade Indians, good soldiers and nasty ones, and of course the tough petticoat brigade :) . And Sgt. Hannah reminds me a lot of the sidekick character that Gabby Hayes played on the early Roy Rogers historical westerns.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 pm 

FlyingJohnFan wrote:
Last night I intended to watch Tumbleweed, but absentmindedly put Guns of Fort Petticoat into the player so watched that instead, and enjoyed it just as much as the previous times I saw it. Besides having Audie's gorgeous horse Flying John getting plenty of screen time, it's one of my favorites because (like most of Audie's movies) it doesn't portray an entire social class as good guys or bad guys. There's peaceful Indians and renegade Indians, good soldiers and nasty ones, and of course the tough petticoat brigade :) . And Sgt. Hannah reminds me a lot of the sidekick character that Gabby Hayes played on the early Roy Rogers historical westerns.

Yeah, Guns of Fort Petticoat is definitely one of a kind :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 pm 
Most Trusted & Expert Scholar

Watched "World in my Corner" last night. It's been decades since I saw this movie. I actually saw it in a movie theater when it first came out and don't remember really appreciating it. No horses, no guns....what the heck was this? Audie seemed to be a different person to me in this movie. He seemed more alive and interested in what he was doing, more like he was when he first started acting in movies. His physicality (is there such a word?) was amazing. So fast with the punches, doging and jabs and his interaction with his co-star, Barbara Rush was at times playful and sweet. He seemed very natural and at ease playing this role. It caused me to wonder, as I often do, what he could have done in his career had anyone taken a more active role in guiding his acting efforts. He really did have a lot of talent and expertise in his chosen path.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:47 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Gerry,

I think Audie was way more talented than he thought and Hollywood thought he was. He was a quick study and always cared about what he was doing on screen and I think had he had the right agent, whatever he might have after To Hell and Back become what was called an "A" list actor, more than just a "B" western actor. But for whatever reason it just didn't work out that way and eventually his career went into a nosedive once he was no longer under contract to Universal. He definitely was capable of doing more than westerns on screen but at that time in Hollywood once you were pigeonholed into a movie genre it was really hard to change that perception with producers and studios especially if your westerns were making money for the studio which his did in the 1950s.

I think The Man is the perfect example of what a good contemporary actor he could have been given the chance to have expanded beyond the western.

Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:05 pm 

Just watched the Suspicion episode "The Flight". Very cool. He does the "man of intrigue" thing very well in this (wish he'd done more of it, but really, we're lucky to have this, Quiet American and Trunk to Cairo), and he and his agent's daughter have more chemistry here than in THAB :p