Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:45 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

General Richard Cody, the 31st Vice Chief of Staff of the Army and a recent retiree has endorsed the petition for Audie.
General Cdy retired in 2008 and it is gratifying knowing that Audie has not been forgtten by the younger Army.

Here is his bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Cody

Here is his endorsement:

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm 

Very nice! As you say, it's impressive that General Cody's willing to put in a good word for a man he would have mostly been familiar with from books and from westerns shown on tv.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:36 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Dave,

I think it is great that one of the "younger" generation of Army commanders has endorsed Audie. Since he is only a year older than my older brother I don't consider him old at all. Christie is correct that since General Cody was only 20 years old when Audie died he would have only known about him through what his parents may have told him and of seeing him in Westerns on TV. So I would say that his endorsement is very good because Obama himself was only 10 when Audie died so that is something these two men share as being in a generation where they had not grown up watching him in movies at the theater or reading about him in newspapers. After all Audie was the Brad Pitt/George Clooney of his day and they would not have known that!!!

Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:58 pm 

audiefan53 wrote:
Dave,

I think it is great that one of the "younger" generation of Army commanders has endorsed Audie. Since he is only a year older than my older brother I don't consider him old at all. Christie is correct that since General Cody was only 20 years old when Audie died he would have only known about him through what his parents may have told him and of seeing him in Westerns on TV. So I would say that his endorsement is very good because Obama himself was only 10 when Audie died so that is something these two men share as being in a generation where they had not grown up watching him in movies at the theater or reading about him in newspapers. After all Audie was the Brad Pitt/George Clooney of his day and they would not have known that!!!

Sharon

Yes, to see someone of Cody's generation pay respect to Audie kind of says it all!

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Great job Dave. The stars keep shining for Audie!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:07 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Great job Dave. The stars keep shining for Audie!

Richard:

Thanks! I am not sure how many more "stars" I can get on this thing, but I am still working the issue with vigor!

Thanks,

Dave