Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:59 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

I have contacted my graduating class of 1960 and the class of 1961 and have ask them to broadcast the info to all members. Susan at the museum sad she would contact the Herald Banner and see if they would run a story for us. I also put the info on facebook website " I was raised in Greenville".

At 2:00pm today, Audie 31% and Celia 50% were are losing. She must have a large latino comunity behind her.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:29 pm 
Researcher

Pretty sad that a salsa dancer would even come close to a real American hero. It shouldn't even be close. Folks, I'm really worried about what is happening in America. War heroes don't mean a thing these days. Just look at the last presidential election. A community organizer is elected over a war hero. Richard, if this post violates the rules of this site, and you have to delete it, I'll understand, but I had to say it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Bob wrote:
Pretty sad that a salsa dancer would even come close to a real American hero. It shouldn't even be close. Folks, I'm really worried about what is happening in America. War heroes don't mean a thing these days. Just look at the last presidential election. A community organizer is elected over a war hero. Richard, if this post violates the rules of this site, and you have to delete it, I'll understand, but I had to say it.
I feel the same way Bob. You are good.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:12 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

I just found out that Celia Cruz has a facebook page with 24,825 members. We have a large hurdle to get over, but we can do it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 pm 
Trusted Scholar

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Bob wrote:
I feel the same way Bob. You are good.

Before I spout off my mouth and get in trouble.....I'll just say AMEN, BOB!!!!!

I know that everyone probably knows that they can vote from their cell phones, too. I've voted every way I know to vote and contacted everyone I know to contact. Sgt. Bobby Edmond, SAMC, Ft. Sam Houston, answered my email and said that he would get the ball rolling down there. If anyone knows members up in Ft. Sill OK, email them and get them to voting. Does anyone have George Keck's email address? I'd email him if I had it. If I knew anyone at Ft. Benning, I would email them.

***Teri

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:55 pm 
Trusted Scholar

Larry Winters wrote:
I have contacted my graduating class of 1960 and the class of 1961 and have ask them to broadcast the info to all members. Susan at the museum sad she would contact the Herald Banner and see if they would run a story for us. I also put the info on facebook website " I was raised in Greenville".

At 2:00pm today, Audie 31% and Celia 50% were are losing. She must have a large latino comunity behind her.

Sorry, I neglected to THANK YOU Larry for contacting the museum and also your class of '60. I would have bet money that you were younger than me. I graduated in '61.

Thanks for taking care of things up there in AUDIE COUNTRY!!!

***Teri

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:05 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi Folks,
I saw the Audie Google and immediately went to the web site and voted. Plus I sent out an e mail to
all my e mail contacts, I listed the link and asked them all to vote for Audie. It is a great idea getting
the SAMC's involved to urge their members and other soldier's on their base to vote for Audie.
Take care all. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 am 

Audie is at 22 and the salsa chick is at 66. Pitiful. I just posted the link on facebook, so maybe I can gather some more votes.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:45 pm 

This is so discouraging. With all the contacts that have been made we are receiving very little help. It's a shame that Audie will lose out to someone no one ever even heard of! Why she was even on the list is beyond me. I want to cry :((

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:35 pm 

Betty wrote:
This is so discouraging. With all the contacts that have been made we are receiving very little help. It's a shame that Audie will lose out to someone no one ever even heard of! Why she was even on the list is beyond me. I want to cry :((

Well, I think it's not so much that nobody's voting for Murph as that Ms. Cruz's fanbase is just that enthusiastic. Larry, I think had a comment earlier in this thread about how one facebook account dedicated to her has zillions of friends.

It's the problem with putting a musician-someone who is primarily an artist and a pop culture icon-up against inventors like Samuel Morse and fighters with a cause like Frederick Douglass, Audie Murphy and Alice Paul.

If it makes you feel any better, the "portrait" is not going to be a classical style portrait, but a work of pop art by this guy: http://robertweingarten.com/home.html

He specializes in compositing photos into these sort of collage-y symbolic things, as shown on his website.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:42 pm 

I left a comment on there a few days ago and I guess they didn't like it. I just said if anyone voted for anyone on there except Audie Murphy they should be ashamed, and it would be un-American. It has to pass a moderator to be put on there. I guess the moderator is for that cuban chick, cause those are the only comments allowed apparently. Sounds like this whole thing is rigged to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

David,

I went back on and looked and Audie has 21% with Cruz at 69% and the other 3 make up the final 10%. There is just something so not right about all this. Regardless of her fan base, how can you justify a Cuban salsa dancer having her portrait hung in the Museum of American History at the Smithsonian over a war hero, suffragette, inventor or civil rights leader??It absolutely boggles the mind on how any of this happened. I am just distressed beyond words. Why was the person chosen this way in the first place? Why was it a popularity contest instead of someone from the museum or an historian or someone with credentials choosing the most appropriate person for the honor based on the criteria chosen. If that had happened I think it is safe to say Celia Cruz would not even have been on the list to choose from...........

Sharon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:52 pm 
Frequent User

audiefan53 wrote:
David,

I went back on and looked and Audie has 21% with Cruz at 69% and the other 3 make up the final 10%. There is just something so not right about all this. Regardless of her fan base, how can you justify a Cuban salsa dancer having her portrait hung in the Museum of American History at the Smithsonian over a war hero, suffragette, inventor or civil rights leader??It absolutely boggles the mind on how any of this happened. I am just distressed beyond words. Why was the person chosen this way in the first place? Why was it a popularity contest instead of someone from the museum or an historian or someone with credentials choosing the most appropriate person for the honor based on the criteria chosen. If that had happened I think it is safe to say Celia Cruz would not even have been on the list to choose from...........

Sharon

I agree 100%! Though, isn't this nation and really all nations, stuck in those biased groups of ethnic choices? :-q

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 pm 

I just made another comment on it. Doubt it makes it either. Here is what I wrote:

""Looks to me that this whole vote is rigged, as the only comments allowed on here are for the cuban? Really? Not very subtle. Too obvious"".

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

David,

We have become a nation of "political correctness" and it is permeating every part of our society to the point where you are afraid to say anything about anybody for fear that you will be accused of being some kind of bigot or racist so then people are being considered for honors they are not even qualified for.........

Sharon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next