Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

You may recall a couple of weeks ago I posted the endorsement of Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, a close friend of General Powell and his former Chief of Staff (assistant) on three separate occasions. Twice in the Army and once at the State Department when the General was Secretary of State. They still remain in close contact as I understand it.

In any case, I did not inform you guys but I mailed the Colonel a nice thank you and asked if he might have any guidance with how to get to General Powell. I did that in a very military way by asking his advice as to an appropriate "course of action". (Richard, you know what that means in military terms).

Here is the letter I sent:

Dear Colonel Wilkerson:

Thank you so much for expeditiously returning the petition that we received today. It was especially gracious of you to pen such a fine and eloquent endorsement for Major Murphy.

As you know from our initial request we have received the endorsements of many of the key military leaders in our Nation, many influential politicians from both sides of the political aisle, cultural icons in virtually every demographic group, as well as thousands of ordinary citizens from across the Country and indeed multitudes of people from around the world.

In any case; we have on at least two occasions mailed a copy of our petition to General Powell and as of yet; have not received a response. We are confident that the General most probably uses a 'mail screener' for his incoming correspondence; which is most understandable.

Would you perhaps have a recommendation as to the best course of action in order to assure that the General receives our correspondence?

We certainly understand that General Powell must be inundated with multitudes of request daily of one type or another, however we feel certain that he would desire to honor Major Murphy either by way of a ‘letter of endorsement’ or directly via our petition. If you could offer any suggestions that might assist our campaign, we would be forever grateful.

Thank you again for such a fine endorsement of this great American hero and patriot, and we hope to have a most favorable response in the very near future.

Respectfully,

Dave Phillips
Executive Administrator
Audie Murphy Presidential Medal of Freedom Campaign

Today I received the following respose to Colonel Wilkerson reference General Powell. For privacy I have removed the Colonel's mailing address, my mailing address, and the direct contact address for General Powell's personal assistant as well as the name of that person.

Hopefully, the word has been passed and the letter is expected.

What think you? Would love to know you guys feelings. I can't help but think that if the direct contact was provided then they must have been briefed in advance or am I being a bit too optimistic?????

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Dave: There is no other way to look at this except as terrific news. There is no doubt in my mind that you will have a petition in General Powell's hand just a day or two after you mail it. I am SURE it will be signed. This is great news. :-bd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:40 pm 

That was very kind of Col. Wilkerson! Good luck, Dave!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Dave: There is no other way to look at this except as terrific news. There is no doubt in my mind that you will have a petition in General Powell's hand just a day or two after you mail it. I am SURE it will be signed. This is great news. :-bd

Richard:

It would certainly be great news if General Powell steps up to the plate and endorses this.
Letter is going out this week. My wife will print and mail it for me.

Thanks again,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."