Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Boy (June 17, 2011)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Now Showing . . .
17-Jun-11 08:00 PM Turner Classic Movies: Bad Boy
Attachment:
File comment: poster from eBay
4830-garcons.jpg
4830-garcons.jpg [ 97.04 KiB | Viewed 2003 times ]

(Times are from TCM.com. Check your local listings for time in your area.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:50 pm 

yay! A Murph movie I haven't seen, on a channel I actually get!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Is this one available via CD through a licensed distributor? I don't think it is. Maybe we should figure out who has the copyright and start putting some pressure on them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:33 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Is this one available via CD through a licensed distributor? I don't think it is. Maybe we should figure out who has the copyright and start putting some pressure on them.

Richard, DVD, not CD (private joke, gang)

No, it is not available on DVD, except through various bootleggers. I have it on tape, recorded from a commercial station back in 1991 or before (I started dating my tape listings 16-Sep-91). I also have a non-licenced copy on DVD, but it is several generations from an original.
Attachment:
badb01.jpg
badb01.jpg [ 36.56 KiB | Viewed 1981 times ]

This is the best one of the set of test snappys I did from my DVD. Not as awful as some I have ( The Man for instance), but I have been thinking that a DVD copy from my tape would be better, which is the reason I haven't done a complete series of snappys from it yet.

Now I won't have to :D I'll record it off TCM, and then I will have some GOOD snappys!

I am thinking that TCM / Movies Unlimited would be the ones to canvas for DVDs. We talked about the four-pack of Audie westerns TCM is releasing in June. Did y'all know that they are also releasing The Gun Runners this spring? I found it at the same time as I found the listings for these 4 movies. I know they have shown it on their cable channel several times lately, but it gives me hope. If they are releasing no less than 5 previously not available on DVD Audie movies this spring, maybe we can hope for a few more later this year or early next year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:57 pm 

Eva wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:
I am thinking that TCM / Movies Unlimited would be the ones to canvas for DVDs. We talked about the four-pack of Audie westerns TCM is releasing in June. Did y'all know that they are also releasing The Gun Runners this spring? I found it at the same time as I found the listings for these 4 movies. I know they have shown it on their cable channel several times lately, but it gives me hope. If they are releasing no less than 5 previously not available on DVD Audie movies this spring, maybe we can hope for a few more later this year or early next year.

:shock: :shock: Whoa. That Gun-runners release kind of snuck up out of nowhere. Thank you for letting us know, Eva! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:36 pm 

Eva,
I too want to say thank you for letting us fans know. My copies of "The Bad Boy" and "Gun Runners"
are on DVD but they are a bootleg copy from Austrailian TV and as such not the greatest film
quality. I too plan to copy the showings from TCM television so that I can get a better quality of
film. I will be buying them if they are ever for sale from a master print quality but in the mean
time I will get the best of whatever is available.. My thoughts are I think we might be seeing more
of Audie's movies for sale here in the good old USA either from TCM or Movies Unlimited or for
that matter direct from Universal due to the fact that 40 years have passed since Audie's demise
and maybe some of the copywrites might be expiring(?) and/or have not been renewed. Just a
guess on my part. Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:50 pm 

Shirleyjean wrote:
Eva,
I too want to say thank you for letting us fans know. My copies of "The Bad Boy" and "Gun Runners"
are on DVD but they are a bootleg copy from Austrailian TV and as such not the greatest film
quality. I too plan to copy the showings from TCM television so that I can get a better quality of
film. I will be buying them if they are ever for sale from a master print quality but in the mean
time I will get the best of whatever is available.. My thoughts are I think we might be seeing more
of Audie's movies for sale here in the good old USA either from TCM or Movies Unlimited or for
that matter direct from Universal due to the fact that 40 years have passed since Audie's demise
and maybe some of the copywrites might be expiring(?) and/or have not been renewed. Just a
guess on my part. Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.

My impression is that companies like Universal tend to stay on top of copyright renewals, for movies produced in house, anyway. The four-pack of Universal Murphy westerns TCM Vault is putting out are stated explicitly to be released by arrangement with Universal.

It is possible that they're anticipating some kind of flurry of publicity about Murphy around the 40th anniversary of his death. If so, I hope they're right!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm 

Christie,
You are probably right in your thinking about copywrites. But in this day and age stranger things
have been known to happen. And I too hope for the flurry of Audie Mentions and memorabilia.
Sincerely, Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 pm 

AND if he gets the Texas Medal and the Presidential Medal of Freedom Dave has been fighting for so long they would surely want to get in on the chance to sell his movies at long last! (At least one would think so).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:32 pm 

Betty,
Amen Sister Tate !!!! Truer words were never spoken... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 pm 

REMINDER!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 am 

I've got both of my DVD recorders set as well as my DVR. Now if the power doesn't go out or the cable go off (as they sometimes do) I hope to get a good copy. I've also set up The Quick Gun and Showdown. Keeping my fingers crossed :wink: .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 am 

Betty wrote:
I've got both of my DVD recorders set as well as my DVR. Now if the power doesn't go out or the cable go off (as they sometimes do) I hope to get a good copy. I've also set up The Quick Gun and Showdown. Keeping my fingers crossed :wink: .

Good show Betty! I am pretty nervous that my cable will have the hiccups, but I, too, have my DVR set for both BAD BOY and THE QUICK GUN. and hopefully I will get clean recordings of both. Hopefully I will be able to check my 4-DVD-set to make sure DRUMS ACROSS THE RIVER plays OK, or I'll set that, too. I have DRUMS on DVD, but only an AMC recording.

I am sure if any of us don't catch either for whatever reason we will be able to do some swapping. So everybody hang on to their DVR recordings for a few days, pretty please :!: I sure intend to :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:48 pm 

I've also set the movies to start earlier and end later than supposed to. I have a real problem with not getting the end of stuff I tape and I don't want to take any chances. I just edit them out before I record them to DVD. Watch Sugar Land get a bad thunder storm (we haven't had rain all spring) and cause the cable to have to reboot and make me miss 5 minutes of the movie. :evil: I'm just thinking of all the scenarios of what might go wrong because I'm so excited about them being on at last.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:17 pm 

Betty wrote:
I've also set the movies to start earlier and end later than supposed to. I have a real problem with not getting the end of stuff I tape and I don't want to take any chances. I just edit them out before I record them to DVD.

Quite! Anything I want to copy to DVD, I habitually set the DVR to 3 minutes before and 3 minutes after, and sometimes even longer, depending on circumstances. Nothing as frustrating as missing the last 30 seconds of a movie. :evil: With the TCM stuff I also like to save the blurbs before and after the actual movie. Then when I do my DVD I make the blurbs separate programs, naming them "Intro" and "Post". :D