Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi All.
I too recall seeing the picture Christie spoke of. It is hard to tell, but I feel given the circumstances
surrounding the picture, I don't think it was acting either. You gotta know, I am definitely going to
research that passage in Graham's book in order to confirm my feelings. I honestly did not think that
Burt and Audie really got along all that well, but the sell for doing the picture on Audie's part was his
tremendous respect for John Huston. Just my thoughts, Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:41 pm 

The attached picture is what we have been discussing. The other one with John Huston looks like he may possibly have been calming Audie down. I always thought this was after a tough scene, but now I don't know. What do you think?
Attachment:
The Unforgiven with Burt Lancaster.jpg
The Unforgiven with Burt Lancaster.jpg [ 57.02 KiB | Viewed 2123 times ]
Attachment:
The Unforgiven with John Huston.jpg
The Unforgiven with John Huston.jpg [ 73.67 KiB | Viewed 2123 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 pm 
Trusted Scholar

WELL!........if Audie really did "hit" Lancaster, he almost raised him off the ground. I'm no expert in stunt doubles and stunt fighting, but I'd say that he really hit him. I wonder if there's still someone around that was there that day when the pix was taken that we could get in contact with that would be willing to talk about what REALLY HAPPENED?

Dave Phillips is an outstanding detective...wonder if he'd be willing to research OR someone else that feels they would know of someone?

Thanks Betty for posting the picture. I don't have any like that. It's good of Audie; really shows the determination in his face and the disgust!

***Teri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:42 pm 

Has the last picture been 'f'ipped'? He is wearing his gun on his left hip and we all know he was right handed. Its been too long since I watched the movie, maybe his character was left handed?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:08 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

David, If you look at the photo with Audie and Burt you will see that his gun in on the rightside, but it is reversed for a left hand draw.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Sorry, gun on left side reversed for a right hand draw.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:29 pm 

I'm with Larry-you can't see it very well in this still, but the grip of the gun is jutting forward from his left hip: http://audiemurphy.com/movies28_photo067.htm

Doug McClure's character wears his gun the same way in some of Eva's other snappys.

Edit: Thank you Betty for posting the pics!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 am 
Frequent User

I think Houston might have been getting Audie ready for the roof top scene. Houston is holding the rifle and probably telling Audie exactly how he wanted him to do it,most likely leaving out the getting slapped part or preparing him to receive it. Makes sense if his character was hysterical that he would be slapped to get him out of it. I can see Audie letting that happen since it makes sense for the character.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:15 pm 

Iluvaudie wrote:
I think Houston might have been getting Audie ready for the roof top scene.

The first time I saw this picture I thought it was the incident Dr. Graham talks about, where Huston allegedly talked Murph down from going after Lancaster. But I think you may be right, and it's either before the big scene or in connection with something else. The random smiley-faced guy in the background doesn't look like he's just witnessed any unpleasantness, and most stories about Murphy losing his temper...well, the bystanders tended to notice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 pm 

Well, the Germans are getting the blu-ray too now...maybe the US will get one at some point: http://www.amazon.de/Denen-man-nicht-ve ... 560&sr=1-1

Also, this ebay item seems to be the other half of the big fight scene-this time Lancaster is punching Murph and Murph's about to fall down: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-BURT-LANC ... 51a0112832

Funny how it's much less commonly reproduced than the one where the little man punches the big man off the ground. :p

Last edited by Christie on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 pm 

http://www.nocturno.it/intervista/inter ... eSupport=1

Italian language interview with John Saxon. The website is for a magazine devoted to thrillers and "cult" movies which can be kind of racy or violent.

The part on The Unforgiven after being run through google translate:

"And with John Huston's The Unforgiven for what relationship did you have?

Very different. When I did the auditions at Universal for the movie I went to see how he behaved. He did not look at the players, listening to them. I shot my first scene in Durango, Mexico. There I had a good scene where I had to pull the knife against Audie Murphy, who had offended me. He tried to jump on me saying "I can smell a mile from an Indian too 'and I, that I was mixed blood in the film, pulled a knife sticking in a wood. Huston said: "Listen ... I think I can do this scene in one take, alone. I was born in Brooklyn and I pull the knife. Give me just a little 'time to try. "Ok. The day after I do the test, pull the knife and all I say "Bravo." But when I actually shoot the scene with Audie Murphy, the knife, damn it, never stayed stuck in the wood. Always fell. It took three hours to shoot that scene! There was a good atmosphere on set, even though Huston and Burt Lancaster did not go along. The director saw the film a very dramatic story, while Burt wanted to give the production a log lighter and adventurous.

But the film is very beautiful and your role, that of the half-breed Johnny Portugal, very successful ...

My character was much cut, unfortunately. Huston always gave me new scenes. For example, one in which I and Audrey Hepburn were out together on horseback. Was much longer, I approached her. Burt Lancaster did not want me to have a scene so long. Audrey was very nice and courageous enough to refuse the stunt. But in a scene where he was to ride a horse without a saddle became very ill. They asked her to repeat it too often, the end fell back. It was a terrible accident and stood still for a whole month."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Even with the Goggle translation, this comes across with some interesting information. I enjoyed this Christie. Thank you for posting it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:05 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next