Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Audie & Jean Peters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 pm 
Trusted Scholar

I started to post this under the "General" category, but since she was a movie star........Has anyone ever heard that Audie "went after" Howard Hughes? I was on a website yesterday, just browsing, and I read a timeline of Jean Peters' life. It stated that in 1947 Audie was supposedly seeing Ms. Peters (I already knew that), but when she met Howard Hughes, she told Audie that he would never have a chance with her so not to bother.

Supposedly, Audie became so enraged that he actually tried to do harm to Mr. Hughes and someone (can't remember who) pulled him away and talked him out of it. (I'll try to find the website again and post it here).

Has anyone ever heard that rumor or fact? Just curious.

***Teri

Post subject: Re: Audie & Jean Peters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

The version of this incident in the Don Graham biography just says that Murphy told a friend (don't remember who) that he'd been angry enough at Hughes to go after him, and had made it past all the bodyguards except one, only to be stopped and sent away by the last one.

Now, it could be true. Or the friend could have been misremembering or exagerrating. Or Murphy could have been putting him on. Or spreading an untrue or exagerrated story about himself in order to psyche out the very paranoid Mr. Hughes. My main skepticism about taking the story as printed is that Howard Hughes, despite being nutty and (at that point) a semi-recluse, was also obscenely wealthy and well-connected. If Murphy had gone after him with intent to harm or kill and nearly succeeded, I think Hughes would have retaliated in some fairly obvious way, and he doesn't seem to have done so.

Edited to add: Ann's book says that Murphy's relationship with Peters was fizzling out by the time she took up with Hughes in 1947. Which doesn't preclude the possibility of Murphy doing something stupid about the situation, but is worth noting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Christie: I don't have a copy of Graham's NNOTB ... does Graham site any sources on the information concerning Peters and Hughes? I'm just wondering. It would make an interesting research project if Graham is given us some kind of hint to the source.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:42 pm 

Graham cites a letter from Spec McClure to Col. Simpson, dated March 1, 1974, as his source for this story.

edited to add: I had understood from one of the old threads that Simpson's massive research files on Audie Murphy had been dispersed and were no longer a unified collection at one library...is that the case?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:40 am 
Site Admin

This is an important question and I will tell you exactly what I know.

Quote:
... Simpson's massive research files on Audie Murphy had been dispersed and were no longer a unified collection at one library
I have a hunch that there may be some confusion on the collection being broken up.

The collection was maintained at the Greenville Public Library and it included the notes but also Audie Murphy memorabilia provided by the members of the family and the Audie Murphy Research Foundation. I first saw the memorabilia in 1996 and in 1997 when I was photographing the items at the library for the website.

Unfortunately, I never had enough time to look at the notes. The Simpson's notes were just too massive for my one hour visits even though the librarian staff were willing to let me examine them.

After my visits in the late 90's, I discovered the memorabilia was moved out of the library to several destinations in the early 2000's.

The notes, I believe, remained with the library and are still there today... but may have ended up at the American Cotton Museum.

The memorabilia was sent to the American Cotton Museum and also to the Smithsonian.

The reason for the collection being broken up is disappointing because it was due the activities of souvenir hunters and what I view as as thoughtless researching.

Around 2002 or 2003, I returned to the library hoping to see to the Audie Murphy room and verify that the memorabilia was still there. I was going to try and get better photos and descriptions of all the items and possibly get some photos of the Simpson notes. I spoke to the head librarian ... I don't remember her name. But she was a very nice, great Texas lady, quiet, and had been at the library a long time.

Unfortunately she told me the memoriabilia was gone and shipped to other secure places. This was when I found out about the items being transferred to the Smithsonian and also the American Cotton Museum.

I asked her why this happened. She said "vandalism". People were coming through and slowly picking apart the items. An example was Audie's military footlocker. The plywood lid, interior, leather straps were slowly destroyed as souvenir hunters were removing slivers of wood, address labels, and picking away anything they could carry for their personal collection or to maybe to sell. Other items were being ruined too.

The staff recognized that they could not put someone in the room to watch it, so they started locking the room. But limiting access made it harder for people with honorable motives to get to it too. It was decided that there needed to be a better solution. So the items were transferred out to the museums.

I confirmed this later with the AMRF and Ms. Larryann Willis. Later, I found out that the Smithsonian items were returned to the American Cotton Museum, at the request of family members and the Foundation, where the collection is now back together.

As to Simpsons notes, the librarian told me during my early 2000 visit said that they were also having trouble taking care of those. She said the notes were not nearly as organized as they once were. I asked her what happened to them.

She told me that a researcher writing a book and had spent a one or two week period in a private library room (I think it was the same room the memorabilia was then kept in ... i.e., the Audie Murphy Room). He sifted through the material and copyied/xeroxed everything in sight he thought was important to the research of the book.

He was taking a leave of absence to do this research too. He worked at a steady pace for the period of time he was there. He arrived at the library early in the day and left late in the afternoon.

When the researcher concluded his "research" he left the library but didn't return the notes to the library in the same conditiion they had been given to him. They were left in the private room for the librarian staff to sort through and reassemble. The librarian said the notes were never really ever in the same condition after that.

I believe the librarian at that point offered to let me look at them but I felt it was probably prudent not to make them drag it out. I don't know if the library staff ever put the notes back together in their original shape.

They said they were working on it. They knew the notes were important. What I don't know is whether or not any of those notes are now missing or lost because of the disorganization or theft, etc.

Hopefully, others can update this question. I don't know if the librarian I spoke to is still there ... she may be. But I would start there if you want to see the notes. Your next inquiry should be with the American Cotton Museum. Some things may have changed (and probably have) since my visit 7 years ago.

Last of all, because of the difficulty in reaching her, you could attempt to find out from Larryann Willis, the Executive Director of the Foundation who is tough to reach. She may have a handle on the notes. I do know that early in the 2000's, she was in touch with Mrs. Simpson, and for this reason may be able to track down the location of the notes. But I think they are still in Greenville at either the library or the AMC.

If you would like send an inquiry to Ms. Willis, send me a private message and I will help. There is also an email address at http://www.audiemurphy.com/amrf.com.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 am 

Thank you for explaining that, Richard! I will have to look into this more closely when I get a chance. (I'm not on the trail of the Howard Hughes story in particular, but I am interested in learning more about-and possibly writing about-Audie Murphy, so...)

I'm wincing at both the souvenir hunters and the researcher. The former are unfortunately pretty much inevitable in certain situations, and when certain types of public figures are involved. The latter probably should have known better, and even if he didn't, his actions at the end of his research period were highly discourteous towards the library staff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 am 
Trusted Scholar

Question: I've read through these posts very quickly and could have missed it, but the Farmersville Public Library, which houses an abundance of info/memorabilia on Audie, hasn't been mentioned. What about that source?

***Teri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm 

Hi Christie,
When I was at the American Cotton Museum in 2008, I was told there was "More Audie Stuff" upstairs
in the attic, but they didn't and couldn't bring it down and put it on display because there was not
enough room for it. In 2010, the American Cotton Museum added it's "Hall of Hero's" and changed
it's Audie display. I was under the impression with the added room and more display cases, they
were able to bring down from the attic more (not all) the "Audie Stuff. I also understand they were
still in the process of categorizing a lot of the memorabilia and also did not want to display stuff
that had not been categorized yet. Also, as far as Jean Peters story goes, it is in NNOTB the story
about getting through all the security guards except one. There is one thing I want to add that I
recall reading in that Ms. Peters wanted to keep her "relationship" with Audie as it was and still
continue to see Mr. Hughes, at which time it was "Audie" who said "No Dice". He did not feel
enamored enough to share. I also understand that shortly after the breakup he quit attending
the class or classes that they had attended together. But I also remember reading he also did not
like all the "Politics" that was discussed at the classes and that was the main reason for not
continuing to attend. I think the source on this was "Spec" McClure I also remember reading that
Howard Hughes thought only that Audie was just a 'Date for the Evening' of the party and supposedly had no clue that Jean and Audie were an "item" so to speak, and maybe that was the
reason he was so ambiguous (vague) where Audie was concerned. Supposedly this thinking had
come directly from Jean Peters the night of the party. I think I remember reading this from an
article from Spec McClure. Either the preparation write up, or the actual submitted write up from
Helmet's in the Dust, or NNOTB, or maybe even Col Simpson's book , too long of a time has passed
to remember exactly where I read this. Just my thoughts. Shirley Jean.

Edited 2 26 2011, The other place I might have read more on the Audie and Jean Peters relationship
might have come from Spec McClure's write up on "The Way Back" which Spec submitted to both
Audie and U.I. for a sequel to THAB. In the end Audie accepted neither "The Way Back" or "Helmets
in the Dust" as viable for a project sequel of THAB. SJP.

Last edited by Shirleyjean on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Teri Edge wrote:
Question: I've read through these posts very quickly and could have missed it, but the Farmersville Public Library, which houses an abundance of info/memorabilia on Audie, hasn't been mentioned. What about that source?i
Terri, the Simpson notes were only kept by the Greenville Library. The memorabilia that they maintained, along with the notes, which were part of Christie's question were my focus. For this reason, I didn't mention the Farmersville library.

I can tell you that if you haven't visited the Farmersville Library you should. They are wonderful people and they are proud of what they have. It is worth the visit for any avid Audie fan. Their claim to Audie is as strong, if not stronger, than Greenville in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:01 pm 
Trusted Scholar

Sorry Richard.....I misunderstood what we were discussing. I now see that it was specific information from Col. Simpson's notes. I just didn't read close enough.

IMO, Audie spent way more time in Farmersville than he ever did Greenville, so I agree with you 100%. The hometown on his dogtag was Farmersville, too! That should say a great deal.

***Teri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 pm 

I did some more research on Murphy's alleged plan to kill or injure Hughes in retaliation for Jean Peters taking up with him, mostly just checking the books at my library and some searching through google books and amazon. It seems like something that should show up on the radar of Hughes biographers, but so far as I could see, no Hughes biography addresses it prior to the release of Don Graham's biography of Murphy, "No Name on the Bullet" (Although, several note that she was dating Audie Murphy at the time she met Hughes.) The only books I could find subsequent to Graham that addressed it are a highly sensational biography by Charles Higham (notorious for his debunked claims that Errol Flynn was a Nazi spy), and an even more sensationalistic one by Darwin Porter.

So, ultimately, we seem to have nothing but Spec McClure's unsupported word for this.