Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE MAN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:30 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

I GOT THE MAN ON VIDEO ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO FROM VIDEO YESTERYEAR AND THIS CARD CAME WITH IT.

Attachments:
the man 1.jpg
the man 1.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 2230 times ]
the man 2.jpg
the man 2.jpg [ 737.6 KiB | Viewed 2230 times ]

Post subject: Re: THE MAN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for posting this Dave. I needed a description of this particular appearance on the "appearance" page and this finally took care of that need.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Hello everyone,

I have waited several years to finally come on the Audie website and post on the message board. My life is at a point now where I can indulge in this kind of activity so I am looking through some topics that are not too old and when I saw this one I had to comment on it. I have this show on a DVD. I had read that Thelma Ritter had been terrified of Audie (I believe it was Joseph Campanella that brought that out in an interview) and once I saw this show and looked at his eyes I could totally understand what she was talking about. I do not know where Audie channeled his character from but it was more than effective. That was one of the scariest performances I ever saw on TV and it was a live production to boot!! How could anyone watch The Man and say Audie had no acting talent?? He was brilliant in the revelation of the madness of the character. Then when the show was over and he came out and thanked the audience and was so pleasant and soft spoken it is like getting hit in the face with a pie there is such a shocking difference at how quickly he could turn it off. I just think his performance in that show was one of the acting highlights of his career and showed that he could have made the transition and been successful on television if he had only decided to go that route instead of continuing in film where his genre was dying out and left him really no where to go. Whispering Smith was so good and ahead of its time that if he had just gone back and not let what happened with that show color his perception of TV altogether I think he could have become a really good character actor on all kinds of shows.

Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:38 pm 

Hi Sharon! Welcome aboard!

I haven't seen "The Man" yet, but I've seen a few scenes in other movies that showed why people found Audie Murphy profoundly frightening when he wanted them to. I do like Whispering Smith; some of it is a bit wobbly but there's some remarkably strong episodes (ironically I think some of the episodes that didn't air on tv are among the best, like Prayer of a Chance and String of Circumstances).

I think he was a bit negative on tv for several reasons: all the problems around Whispering Smith for one thing, and the fact that it is very much a "grind"-you're getting up in the morning every day and going to work in the same sets with the same people, with long shooting days with no room for error. I suspect that Murphy enjoyed the location shooting and travelling for publicity that went with his films.

He also may have had a belief that he couldn't get anywhere playing supporting roles; his career had failed to launch until he held out for lead roles in b-movies, and the three or so cases where he took supporting roles in big movies all underperformed at the box office. I think that may have prejudiced him against taking guest roles on shows like Bonanza or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 am 

audiefan53 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have waited several years to finally come on the Audie website and post on the message board. My life is at a point now where I can indulge in this kind of activity so I am looking through some topics that are not too old and when I saw this one I had to comment on it. I have this show on a DVD. I had read that Thelma Ritter had been terrified of Audie (I believe it was Joseph Campanella that brought that out in an interview) and once I saw this show and looked at his eyes I could totally understand what she was talking about. I do not know where Audie channeled his character from but it was more than effective. That was one of the scariest performances I ever saw on TV and it was a live production to boot!! How could anyone watch The Man and say Audie had no acting talent?? He was brilliant in the revelation of the madness of the character. Then when the show was over and he came out and thanked the audience and was so pleasant and soft spoken it is like getting hit in the face with a pie there is such a shocking difference at how quickly he could turn it off. I just think his performance in that show was one of the acting highlights of his career and showed that he could have made the transition and been successful on television if he had only decided to go that route instead of continuing in film where his genre was dying out and left him really no where to go. Whispering Smith was so good and ahead of its time that if he had just gone back and not let what happened with that show color his perception of TV altogether I think he could have become a really good character actor on all kinds of shows.

Sharon

Welcome to the board Sharon. I must say I fully agree with your analysis of Audie's performance in "The Man". He went from soft spoken to mad man and back again flawlessly and it was so real. He was truly a gifted actor in my opinion. I wish he could have been given an opportunity to do more of this type of acting in the movies. He would have had a great career for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:56 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Betty,

Glad to be aboard finally. I think Audie was way underrated as an actor and I just wish he had given TV another chance after Whispering Smith. Even Spec McClure was trying to push him towards TV but he did not take his advice and it was a real missed opportunity.

Tonight on American Masters on PBS there will be a 90 minute documentary of Phil Ochs the folk singer from the 1950s and 60s. He was a huge Audie fan and is the one who asked Andy Wickham to come over from England and watch Audie's dog trainer trial and Wickham wrote "The Return of the Quiet American----The Trial of Audie Murphy" for Coast magazine. I believe that Ochs and Wickham were at the trial everyday. So it will be interesting to see if his admiration for Audie is mentioned in this documentary that will be shown tonight at 10 p.m. eastern and 9 p.m. central time. I read that Audie's trial was one of the most covered ever in Los Angeles up to the OJ Simpson trial in 1994/95 sort of like how To Hell and Back was the biggest grossing movie ever for Universal International until it was surpassed by Jaws in 1975.

Sharon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:04 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

I caught The Man on YouTube the other night. (Uploaded by Audie Murphy American Legend. Is that you?)

Anyhow, The Man is a remake of the 1952 Robert Ryan/Ida Lupino film Beware, My Lovely. Robert Ryan is one of my 2 favorite actors, and I think he was completely brilliant all the time. Well, I have to say that in The Man, Audie is every bit as spectacular as Mr. Ryan. The way he vacillated between anger, kindness, and madness was remarkable. And those eyes! There was the glint of madness in them! Audie really was a much better actor than people give him credit for being.

By the way, David, do I have your permission to use this picture when I review The Man on my film blog? I use (and give credit) the photos in the "photos" section, but since that one isn't there, I want to have your permission before using it.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm 

You betcha. For future reference, anything I put on here you or anyone can feel free to use, as far as I'm concerned. I put stuff on here for all to see, enjoy, and re-use at their hearts content.

Some things that may be questionable would be on the researchers page. Thats why Richard created that thread, to try and not infringe on any copyright that may exist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:46 pm 

pattiamg wrote:
I caught The Man on YouTube the other night. (Uploaded by Audie Murphy American Legend. Is that you?)

Anyhow, The Man is a remake of the 1952 Robert Ryan/Ida Lupino film Beware, My Lovely. Robert Ryan is one of my 2 favorite actors, and I think he was completely brilliant all the time. Well, I have to say that in The Man, Audie is every bit as spectacular as Mr. Ryan. The way he vacillated between anger, kindness, and madness was remarkable. And those eyes! There was the glint of madness in them! Audie really was a much better actor than people give him credit for being.

By the way, David, do I have your permission to use this picture when I review The Man on my film blog? I use (and give credit) the photos in the "photos" section, but since that one isn't there, I want to have your permission before using it.

Thanks.

I feel the same way about Audie in "The Man". He played that character so smoothly it scared me. With the right directors he could have had a very long career.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:43 am 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Thanks, David. I used the photo in my review of The Man. I also included a link to the video in my post, so others can easily find it.

I was ill-prepared for the ending, as, remember, it is a remake of a film I've seen. Hollywood gave a happier ending to the film! So, the last you see of Audie in The Man is with that look of madness in the eyes...the "Oh, what have I just done" look. Then, it immediately cuts to the gentle, soft-spoken Audie saying what a pleasure it was to work with Thelma Ritter. Wow!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

pattiamg wrote:
... I was ill-prepared for the ending ... So, the last you see of Audie in The Man is with that look of madness in the eyes...the "Oh, what have I just done" look. Then, it immediately cuts to the gentle, soft-spoken Audie saying what a pleasure it was to work with Thelma Ritter. Wow!
Yeah, I was a bit floored by the ending too and the abrupt transition to the closing thank you to the cast by Audie was also another contrast that added to the overall effect of the show. It was almost spooky that Ms. Ritter didn't join Audie side by side. I loved the performance.