Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

NOW SHOWING! Audie Murphy's 43d movie: 40 GUNS TO APACHE PASS
120 posters, lobby cards, stills, and screen shots updated.
http://www.audiemurphy.com/movies43.htm

Attachments:
File comment: 40 GUNS TO APACHE PASS Lobby Card
gap-003.jpg
gap-003.jpg [ 150.2 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:00 am 
Most Trusted & Expert Scholar

Wow, thanks Richard. You are doing such a great job of re-posting these photos but I really now appreciate the wonderful work that Eva did in capturing them and preserving them for all of us to enjoy. I never knew her but her work is truly amazing. It is so great to be able to zoom into these terrific photos and get a close up view. It is no wonder that even those of us who never knew Eva miss her so much.

I love this movie because I love watching Audie as he became older and, like most men, dang it, acquired even more interesting facial features. For some reason, he wore heavy gloves in nearly every scene and is constantly fussing and struggling with them. The scene where he is being pulled behind the rolling wagon is another beauty.

Although he probably wasn't used for the entire sequence, he was obviously tied to a sled and had to be pulled along in the dust and dirt for the close up scenes. Pretty darn good for a guy in his forties.

Well done, Eva and Richard.

Gerry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:00 am 

Gerry,

I agree with what you have said. Re Audie's hand movements - I don't know if you have noticed but in all his movies to a greater or lesser degree his hands are always moving. When he is holding a glass, coffee cup etc. even when he is standing still his fingers would often be clenching and unclenching. eg. In Posse from Hell when Captain Brown has words with Banner about how he should not have 'laid-it-on-the-line' to the prospective posse, watch his hand/s as he is listening to Brown and then replies. I notice it in every one of his movies that I watch. He probably wasn't even aware that he was doing it. I'd say it's a symptom of his PTSD - nervous tension.

A piece of trivia - I would love to know how that Doug character kept his gun belt up? I expected to see it slipping down to around his ankles at any minute. Did he use glue to hold it up or something???

Ann

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:27 am 

What a great observation, Ann. I have noticed Audie's hands partly because they are quite beautiful with those very long fingers and graceful motions but I had not picked up on the semi constant movement. He does have some things that he regularly does such as they manner in which he holds a cup or glass and sort of rolls it between his hands and you can't miss the rope tying habit of his character in "Destry". One of his fellow actors once commented on his hands as being those of a very old man and if you zoom in on photos of Audie you can see that may have been true. Goodness knows he put in a lot of very hard farm and ranching work with those hands.

I've noticed that he is often also shown with one of his hands so relaxed it appears to be almost hanging at a 90 degree angle from his wrist. You can really see this during the chess playing scene with the doc in "No Name on the Bullet" for instance. I will have to keep a closer eye on the hand thing and thanks for pointing it out.

I teach tai chi so am acutely aware of body movement and love to watch Audie move across the screen. He is so obviously very much aware of every placement of his feet and, as so many have already commented, moved with a cat like grace. His posture during the 50's was great but towards the 60's, he began to hold his shoulders in a high, tense manner that slightly bowed his upper back and I've always wondered if that had something to do with either body pain or emotional tenseness.

Somehow, even with his bodily injuries, he was able to maintain a terrific flexibility especially in his lower body even as he aged and his joints should have become a bit stiffer. His sense of balance was great too. Amazing guy.

Gerry

P.S. Ann, I teach for Dr. Paul Lam's Tai Chi for Health Institute which is based in Australia and visiting that wonderful country is on my bucket list. I hope to make it over there one day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:51 am 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

I think I have noticed the constant movement of his fingers, clenching, unclenching, fiddling
with a glass, and of course, the rope. I, too, believe this a nervous twitch associated with
PTSD that Audie mostly likely wasn't aware of. He does have lovely hands. I am a hands
and eyes person. Audie definitely rates high for both of those things.

I haven't purchased 40 Guns to Apache Pass yet. I was so busy trying to get all of the
50's to early 60's movies of his, I put the later 60's on the back burner. I think Arizona
Raiders is the oldest movie I have for him. I have purchased A Time for Dying but have
not received it yet. Since he is in this for such a short time, he won't be on the screen
very long.

No matter whatever the age, Audie always had so much to offer and was so
entertaining to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:21 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Gerry wrote:
Wow, thanks Richard. You are doing such a great job of re-posting these photos but I really now appreciate the wonderful work that Eva did in capturing them and preserving them for all of us to enjoy. I never knew her but her work is truly amazing. It is so great to be able to zoom into these terrific photos and get a close up view. It is no wonder that even those of us who never knew Eva miss her so much.

I love this movie because I love watching Audie as he became older and, like most men, dang it, acquired even more interesting facial features.

Gerry

Gerry, I feel so the same as you do about Eva. All of us here at this site are reaping the rewards of her gracious generosity in sharing her amazing collection of photos. Her story, too, is a great source of inspiration. I would have loved to have known her.

Also, Gerry, I love Audie as he aged as well, and I find that I lean most heavily to his 1958 and later films. He really was like fine wine, wasn't he? Improving with age. Oh, he was cute as a 20-something, but as he got into his mid-30's and 40's, the little boy looks gave way to a gorgeous mature handsomeness. And in Bloody Beach, he's got that wonderful touch of gray. Dagnabit! There's such a double standard---guys looks great with a bit of gray (or even all gray), but we gals just look old and dowdy...so we color until we die!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:23 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

I've noticed that many times Audie has his hands at his sides with his fingers slightly bent like when he was at attention in the military. I always assumed he didn't always know quite what to do with them so kept them at attention pose or holding something. Sometimes I find it hard to know what to do with my hands in certain situations. He may have just been self-conscious about them. That's just my opinion, I don't really know. :-s

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

I love Audie's wavy hairstyle. He kept his hair this way, all through out his movie career
(at least in the movies I have seen). But in the remaining years after 40 Guns to Apache
Pass was made, I notice he started to comb it to the left instead of the right thus
eliminating that distinctive wave of his. I wonder why. Was he tired of it? To me that
was one of Audie's trademarks, that "curl." :?:

As for his hands looking old. I've read about this, but in all the movies I've watched, and
photos I've seen showing his hands, they looked freckled, veined and thin, not wrinkled and
"liver spotted." Maybe this is shown in the last movies he made. There is no way to zoom
in to study his hands watching a DVD (that I know of).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 pm 

Gerry,

I hope that you can visit Australia one day and mark it off your bucket list. You won't lack for Audie fans over here. Just mention his name and most people have something (favourable) to say about him. Of course we are a very intelligent lot over here!!!

If you do come and happened to come to Victoria and can make up to Ballarat, let me and I'll show you round....and we can talk AUDIE!!! That goes for anyone else too, of course (We are also extremely friendly, especially to our mates!)

Ann

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:50 pm 

Thanks, Ann. I would just love that!

G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Admin

These are all great comments and observations. As this project nears an end, it has been a lot of fun but very tedious. Something like 6000+ pages were eliminated from the website by using the slideshow format too. This will make it really easy to update the website in the future.

There is only one more Movie left to redo (TIME FOR DYING) and I will get that one done this weekend. You may not have realized it but I have worked hard on the posters trying to find very high quality images. Each image had creases and tears and other blemishes. I ended up repairing them all digitally and removing the blemishes and color correcting them all to help remove the fading.

Anyway, there aren't any great pictures of A TIME FOR DYING movie posters that I can spot, unless someone has a large scan (not likely). So posting the pictures for that movie this weekend won't be difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Richard Rodgers wrote:
These are all great comments and observations. As this project nears an end, it has been a lot of fun but very tedious. Something like 6000+ pages were eliminated from the website by using the slideshow format too. This will make it really easy to update the website in the future.

There is only one more Movie left to redo (TIME FOR DYING) and I will get that one done this weekend. You may not have realized it but I have worked hard on the posters trying to find very high quality images. Each image had creases and tears and other blemishes. I ended up repairing them all digitally and removing the blemishes and color correcting them all to help remove the fading.

Anyway, there aren't any great pictures of A TIME FOR DYING movie posters that I can spot, unless someone has a large scan (not likely). So posting the pictures for that movie this weekend won't be difficult.

Richard, as usual you've done a super job with these posters and I certainly appreciate all your effort to get them to look so perfect. With the posters and the pictures, everyone can get a good idea of each movie.

Thanks for taking your time to make this website so interesting and informative to discover, or reminisce about, Audie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:29 am 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Richard, I've said this before, but it bears repeating, especially since I was recently scrolling through the photos for my blog post about David's book. You have done an incredible job with these photos! They are even more amazing than they used to be---and I thought they were fantastic before. Your hard work and superior computer skills have made Audie's films come alive. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Patti wrote:
Richard, I've said this before, but it bears repeating, especially since I was recently scrolling through the photos for my blog post about David's book. You have done an incredible job with these photos! They are even more amazing than they used to be---and I thought they were fantastic before. Your hard work and superior computer skills have made Audie's films come alive. Thank you so much!

Thanks, Richard for all of your hard work & effort in updating the Movies section of ALMMW.
This adds even more luster to a website that is brimming with Audie Murphy information.
The ALMMW is found at the top of major online search pages when using the search: Audie
Murphy. Thus it has helped keep Audie's memory alive on Google, Bing and Yahoo!, just to
name the major search engines.

Bless you, Richard! **== :-bd