Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:04 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Aw! Baby Tumbleweed is very cute :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 pm 

Christie wrote:
Aw! Baby Tumbleweed is very cute :)

Yep, she is.

I just adore baby horses :D Miss having my own around, but my health no longer allows me to give them the care they require, so I live in the past. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:21 pm 
Frequent User

For fans of Audie's gorgeous horse Flying John, I managed to find a little about him. According to the Thoroughbred associations (who have a lot of old QH records for some reason) he was foaled in 1950 and had 3 starts at the Los Alamitos racetrack-placing 7th once and 8th once. He was by Honest John, a Register of Merit stallion who started his career on the racetrack and went on to become a great cutting sire; and out of a mare named Flying Star who was apparently unraced.

I found a couple of old photos of Honest John which I'll try and attach:

Attachments:
HonestJohnbyLittleBlackJoe.jpg
HonestJohnbyLittleBlackJoe.jpg [ 736.21 KiB | Viewed 2604 times ]
jh053honestjohn.jpg
jh053honestjohn.jpg [ 12.66 KiB | Viewed 2604 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 pm 

That is a brilliant find, Jo-thank you! He is truly a beauty, like his son :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:08 pm 

Here is an interesting addition to this thread. I got this pic recently. A 'behind the scenes' from KANSAS RAIDERS.
Attachment:
AM-P11.jpg
AM-P11.jpg [ 64.73 KiB | Viewed 2565 times ]

The horse is obviously the same one Jimmy Stewart rides in most, if not all, of his westerns. I have always heard that his name was "PIE".

So, here is the conundrum. Here is the text that was on back of the above pic:
Attachment:
AM-P11 text.jpg
AM-P11 text.jpg [ 38.74 KiB | Viewed 2565 times ]

So . . . Is the name of the horse "PIE" or "LONE STAR"?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:07 pm 

Nice pic! Could it be one of those cases where the official name is one thing, and what everyone calls the horse to his face is something else? I guess it could also be a case where the publicist didn't think the horse's actual name was cool enough and just made something up. (Texas-themed, in this case).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:39 pm 

Christie wrote:
Nice pic! Could it be one of those cases where the official name is one thing, and what everyone calls the horse to his face is something else? I guess it could also be a case where the publicist didn't think the horse's actual name was cool enough and just made something up. (Texas-themed, in this case).

Could be either, I suppose. We'll probably never know.

There is another copy of the pic on eBay right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330634693400

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:01 am 

Actually, LONE STAR is a much better name for him than PIE. LONE STAR could easily refer to the big star on his forehead. "PIE", for a horse, usually is short for PIEBALD, which is the British term for a black and white pinto. It was also the name of the horse in the novel (and movie) NATIONAL VELVET. In the story, "THE PIE" was, indeed, a pinto, which made it so much more unusual that he would win the most famous steeple chase race in the world, THE GRAND NATIONAL. In the movie, the horse was played by a bay (or he might have been a dark chestnut) thoroughbred-looking horse. Anyway, not a pinto, and not even black. Nope, it was definitely NOT the same horse as our PIE.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:02 am 

There's an interesting story about Jimmy Stewart and Pie here: http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/intervie ... tml#horses.
Below is a picture of Jimmy on Pie.
Attachment:
Jimmy Stewart & His Favorite Horse Pie.jpg
Jimmy Stewart & His Favorite Horse Pie.jpg [ 79.47 KiB | Viewed 2559 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:15 pm 
Researcher

Artie Murphy? I hope that was a misprint.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:54 pm 

Bob wrote:
Artie Murphy? I hope that was a misprint.

I noticed that too, Bob 8-| . My first thought was WHAT?! :-o I wanted to change it but decided I'd better not. The story was good anyway. :ymsigh:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Christie wrote:
Eva, re: the brown horse: if all four movies were shot on roughly the same locations, he might have been a rental animal from a local stable?

Shirley: my impression is that it tends to be a mutual thing between the actor and the horse handlers-the actor showing interest in particular horses, maybe, and the handler either approving the choice or steering them towards something more suitable. Jimmy Stewart requested Pie frequently because he was a mellow, cooperative and attractive animal. Pie was probably being assigned to Murph in his early films for similar reasons, since Murphy had initially a lot to learn about horsemanship. I am curious as to whether Murph had had some kind of falling out with the horse wrangler on The Wild and the Innocent, because that was the case where he got thrown by a skittish mare, partly because the handler hadn't warned him that she had a foal with her. That sounds like the kind of passive revenge a crew member might take against a star he considered too "uppity" in his opinions about horses, or for beating him at poker, playing a prank on him that involved rattlesnakes, etc....

I know this was posted long ago (2011). But I wanted to comment anyway. Audie was a "practical joker of the first water" and
I am sure there were some stars who did not appreciate these pranks. One can only pray that Audie being thrown off
was an accident. I would hate to think the horse person actually held a grudge against him. If this was the case he
would have been sacked, if it was found out. Audie was a tough little guy and certainly could hold up well under many
types of punishment.

It is no fun being thrown. I had an experience when I was young and visited a friend that had a horse. She had
me ride double. What I didn't know, and nothing was said, is the horse didn't like it. I had just barely managed
to seat myself behind her when wham, I was back on the ground, on my back, with the girl on top of me. Though
I wasn't hurt, I certainly had a definite respect for a horses' likes and dislikes. I have never gotten on a horse since.
I love to pat and rub them, but am not really interested in riding them. What a mean trick. :-q

I don't know if Eva is still here, but she did an extraordinary job in creating this thread. Maybe Richard, when he
does manage to find some free time will give it its own special place. Thanks, Eva! :-bd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 pm 

No, sadly we lost Eva some time ago. She was sure a treasure, not only to the board, but most of the pictures in my book were from her 'snappys' pictures. The board is not the same without her, tho we still have some great folks on here and some wonderful new additions!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 am 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

david williams wrote:
No, sadly we lost Eva some time ago. She was sure a treasure, not only to the board, but most of the pictures in my book were from her 'snappys' pictures. The board is not the same without her, tho we still have some great folks on here and some wonderful new additions!

I am sad to hear this. She seemed to be the one here that was horse knowledgeable.

Well, we have this thread and should take good care of it.

Thanks, David.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

VickiB wrote:
.... Maybe Richard, when he
does manage to find some free time will give it its own special place. Thanks, Eva! :-bd
Well said Vicki and it's a great idea. Out of respect and in honor of Eva, I have made this topic "sticky" which will keep it permanently at the top of this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next