Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:59 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

41 The Texican (1966)
Attachment:
File comment: A tall dark bay
t-s50.jpg
t-s50.jpg [ 63.02 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:04 pm 

42 40 Guns to Apache Pass (1967)
Attachment:
File comment: A chestnut w star
gap-s03.jpg
gap-s03.jpg [ 54.29 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: A bay
gap-s33.jpg
gap-s33.jpg [ 43.23 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: A different bay?
gap-s41.jpg
gap-s41.jpg [ 40.65 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: A different chestnut?
Gap-36.jpg
Gap-36.jpg [ 82.13 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:06 pm 

44 A Time for Dying (1969)

Attachments:
File comment: A bay w tiny star
TFD-sb027.jpg
TFD-sb027.jpg [ 72.05 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:09 pm 

55 Whispering Smith (1961)
Attachment:
File comment: Joe Queen
ws11-07.jpg
ws11-07.jpg [ 40.1 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: A roan
ws25-01.jpg
ws25-01.jpg [ 43.4 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

Note:
Joe Queen appears in episodes The Blind Gun, Stake-Out, Safety Valve, Three for One, The Hemp Reeger Case, This Mortal Coil, Double Edge, The Jodie Tyler Story, Swift Justice, The Idol, String of Circumstances & Hired to Die.

The roan appears in episodes The Devil's Share, The Quest, Trademark, Poet and Peasant Case, Dark Circle, The Homeless Wind, Trial of the Avengers & Prayer of a Chance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:06 pm 

Thanks for all the work on this Eva. I think it deserves it's own section somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 am 

I agree with Betty-this may need to be on the main site somwhere. What a great compilation of cool animals!

The bay from Texican probably wasn't fast enough for Murph's tastes, but s/he does well on some pretty rough terrain, and that prancing action is so much fun to watch. :)

Always thought it was funny that in Bullet for a Badman, Murph's character owns the bay and McGavin's the gray, but they both keep "borrowing" each other's horses over the course of the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Christie wrote:
I agree with Betty-this may need to be on the main site somwhere. What a great compilation of cool animals!
I am STRONGLY leaning in the direction of total agreement (how ambiguous and uncommitting of a statement is that? :lol: ). I love the information Eva and everyone else has so carefully (and very thoughtfully) assembled. I WOULD like to enshrine it permanently and will try to do so.

I wouldn't mind getting some more info to help beef up the section ... bloodlines, etc. and possible sources for that information That would strengthen the section and give it more appeal to not just the casual reader but to an serious researcher.

However, from a webmaster's point of view, it has to wait just a little bit because I have another project right now I am working on (I am typing and packaging all of the articles on the RESEARCHERS ONLY forum in PDF format for inclusion in our library). With sixty articles finished, I have about another 50 articles to go :o Then I have integrate and post them among the 450-500 existing articles / newspaper clippings.

IN THE MEANTIME ... PLEASE KEEP EXPLORING AND ADDING to this thread because your discoveries and efforts, as you well know are being used as a basis for improving the website. Don't let anything "new" that you discover go without a post. Because the process of sharing is how this website keeps growing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:57 pm 
Frequent User

Wow thank you Eva, that is so much better than my sheet of paper with scribbled notes!

'Destry' has a brief shot of Flying John, when Murphy goes out to stop the attack on the rancher who lost his property in the poker game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:00 pm 

FlyingJohnFan wrote:
'Destry' has a brief shot of Flying John, when Murphy goes out to stop the attack on the rancher who lost his property in the poker game.

I THOUGHT there was a brief glimpse of FJ in Destry, but I didn't have any snappys of him from that movie when I did the list. Dunno how I missed it; when I was doing the list I was thinking that maybe my memory was faulty. If you notice, I put a question mark by the Destry listing on the original post.

I put the list together using what stills and snappys I already had. I also didn't have a useable snappy of the grey horse Audie rode briefly in TRUNK TO CAIRO. I need to do a new set of snappys from T2C from the new TCM recording anyway. I also need to do snappys from the pan-and-scan version of QUICK GUN, which should give me some better pics of that horse. And there are still several movies I don't have ANY snappys from, because I only have them on video tape, so the posts are still a work in progress.

Another note; I think the horse Audie uses in several of the later movies might be the same horse. The one I described as "A brown w tiny rear sock". He is in SIX BLACK HORSES, SHOWDOWN, QUICK GUN, and I think APACHE RIFLES. Not much of a marking to use for comparison, so I'd have to play the four movies back to back for a better general impression. Since those four movies are from 3 different studios it is quite possible the horse was another owned by Audie, but I don't have a clue how to even BEGIN researching it.

Audie also briefly rode a different horse in a couple of movies; the one I describe as "A flaxen chestnut w star, strip, snip". He rides that one in the first part of POSSE FROM HELL and also briefly in HELL BENT FOR LEATHER. That one is definitely from the Universal stable though; we see him in several other movies, ridden by different actors. Dan Duryea rides him in SIX BLACK HORSES.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 pm 

Eva. Great work showing and recording which horses from which Audie Movie. I agree, this
definitely needs a category all it's own for a research tool and an educational tool. Regarding your
comment of not having some Audie movies on DVD, only tape, please contact me in private
mail, maybe I can help you out regarding the DVD's you need to further your depiction.
Also, I have a general question, which is, I wonder who determined which horse Audie would ride
in a movie that he did not use an owned horse. An example of which would be Pie? Would it be
the head wrangler on a movie that made the determination by general horsemanship knowledge of
the actor involved, and or the "personality" of the horse involved and also height, weight, and
stature of the individual actor and horse, Or a combination of all of the above? Just curious ?
As always, GREAT SNAPPYS !!! Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 am 

Eva, re: the brown horse: if all four movies were shot on roughly the same locations, he might have been a rental animal from a local stable?

Shirley: my impression is that it tends to be a mutual thing between the actor and the horse handlers-the actor showing interest in particular horses, maybe, and the handler either approving the choice or steering them towards something more suitable. Jimmy Stewart requested Pie frequently because he was a mellow, cooperative and attractive animal. Pie was probably being assigned to Murph in his early films for similar reasons, since Murphy had initially a lot to learn about horsemanship. I am curious as to whether Murph had had some kind of falling out with the horse wrangler on The Wild and the Innocent, because that was the case where he got thrown by a skittish mare, partly because the handler hadn't warned him that she had a foal with her. That sounds like the kind of passive revenge a crew member might take against a star he considered too "uppity" in his opinions about horses, or for beating him at poker, playing a prank on him that involved rattlesnakes, etc....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 pm 

15 Destry (1955)
Note: We don't see much of Flying John in DESTRY; only a few glimpses.
Attachment:
File comment: First, he is tied outside the Sheriff's office
1771-s021a.jpg
1771-s021a.jpg [ 56.63 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Destry is riding him toward the ranch ...
1771-s021b.jpg
1771-s021b.jpg [ 49.04 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: ... past the barn ...
1771-s021d.jpg
1771-s021d.jpg [ 52.35 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: ... arriving at the ranch house ...
1771-s021g.jpg
1771-s021g.jpg [ 50.97 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: ... and dismounting at the ranch house.
1771-s021i.jpg
1771-s021i.jpg [ 51.75 KiB | Viewed 2544 times ]
Not a single GOOD frame of Audie riding Flying John. :x No wonder I didn't pick any snappys of them the first time around. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 pm 

Christie, Yes I remember reading about the incident of horse throwing Audie due to having a foal.
Thank you for remembering. And your right, could have been "payback" or just prank of some
sort. All I can say is those guys played dangerous !!! No fun getting thrown and could have gotten
his neck broken !!!! Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 pm 

Christie wrote:
I am curious as to whether Murph had had some kind of falling out with the horse wrangler on The Wild and the Innocent, because that was the case where he got thrown by a skittish mare, partly because the handler hadn't warned him that she had a foal with her. That sounds like the kind of passive revenge a crew member might take against a star he considered too "uppity" in his opinions about horses, or for beating him at poker, playing a prank on him that involved rattlesnakes, etc....

I can't imagine anyone doing that on purpose; he would have been fired on the spot; risking the star!

And the horse being skittish because she has a foal at side doesn't make a lot of sense either; there must have been some additional reason for her dumping Audie. A reasonably well trained animal doesn't fuss just because she has a foal!

But anyone can fall off a horse; I quit counting after the first 50 times hitting the dirt! Of course I used to always ride bareback and ride the craziest horses! My favorite when I was a kid was a red mule named Lizbet. She loved to buck! Mules don't have much withers, so when she'd buck her back would be an arch, and if you couldn't stay in the highest spot during her shenanigans you would simply slide off! She got me 10 times; after that I had all her tricks pegged :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure Audie ate dirt a goodly number of times too; most often all that happens is having the air knocked out of your lungs when you hit the ground. Scary at first, because you can't breathe for a moment, but not DANGEROUS. With all the times I have fallen off I only got hurt (more than minor stuff) ONCE; when this big clod of a half Arab stuck his clumsy foot in a hole and went down ON TOP of me! I had a concussion and my foot got cut on the saddle. I remember seeing him running up the hill towards home (he wasn't mine). Some friends saw me fall and called an ambulance, but I couldn't remember anything! I couldn't even tell them who I was or where I lived. It only took a couple of hours before I was ok though and I was back home again the same evening. Now, THAT was scary!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:03 pm 

43 Trunk to Cairo (1967)
Attachment:
File comment: A grey
6664-st123a.jpg
6664-st123a.jpg [ 31.72 KiB | Viewed 2506 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next