Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:43 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi Gang. I did notice one Boo-Boo though. Under each disk is a photo from the movie that that
disc represents. Sierra and Diablo or okay but when you get to Drums and Crooked Trail the
photo's are switched.... Just my thoughts.... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:30 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

I have a complete set of photos from Drums across the River, and the photo of Audie on the DVD match the shirt and bandana. The photo on Ride a Crooked Trail DVD also match his outfit on the photos I have from that movie. I think the photos on the DVD are correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:21 pm 

Larry Winters wrote:
I have a complete set of photos from Drums across the River, and the photo of Audie on the DVD match the shirt and bandana. The photo on Ride a Crooked Trail DVD also match his outfit on the photos I have from that movie. I think the photos on the DVD are correct.

You are right, the photos ON the DVD are correct. It is the photos on the inside of the case, under the individual DVDs that are swapped. The one under the DRUMS DVD shows Walter Matthau and the one under the CROOKED TRAIL DVD shows Lyle Bettger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Eva:

You and Shirleyjean are both correct, I miss read Shirleyjean's comments. I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:42 am 

Hi Eva and Larry,
For a girl that is sooo wordy I really missed the boat in being more explicit about where I was
talking about in the 4 disc set. So Sorry about that. Thank you Eva for coming to my rescue.
And Larry, thank you so much for being a wonderful gentleman. :) Just my thoughts.
Shirley Jean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:11 pm 

The four movies released through TCM are now each getting standalone releases:

Sierra: http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Audie-Murp ... 799&sr=1-2

Ride a Crooked Trail: http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Crooked-Trai ... 799&sr=1-3

Ride Clear of Diablo: http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Clear-Diablo ... 799&sr=1-4

Drums Across the River: http://www.amazon.com/Drums-Across-Rive ... 799&sr=1-5

I love the cover art on all of these, they're basically shots or publicity stills from the movies converted into a very soft, retro feel that reminds me of 20s-30s pulp magazine covers and movies posters. It looks like buying all of them individually would be a lot more expensive than buying the four-pack, but if you're recommending Murphy movies to a friend who's never seen him before, and you think they would like his characters in Diablo and Crooked Trail better than the ones in Sierra or Drums, for instance, you can steer them to the individual movies rather than towards a $35 four-pack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm 

Wish they would release movies that haven't been released already.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm 

Betty wrote:
Wish they would release movies that haven't been released already.

No disagreement there-even the foreign releases are in a bit of a lull, with the French and British Apache Rifles and the Australian Bloody Beach having been out a while.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm 
Frequent User

Bought the 4 disc set about 2 months ago. Really love the special features. Do any of his other movies (other than TCM) have special features? Also, when I received the collection, Drums Across the River was defective and they send me a complete new collection. What do you do guys do with duplicates? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:28 pm 

JackieD wrote:
Bought the 4 disc set about 2 months ago. Really love the special features. Do any of his other movies (other than TCM) have special features? Also, when I received the collection, Drums Across the River was defective and they send me a complete new collection. What do you do guys do with duplicates? :roll:

You could try giving them away to friends or family I guess. As far as other dvds with extra features on them, I believe you've already seen Apache Rifles, which is one of the few American dvds that does have special features. The Whispering Smith dvd set includes a mid-fifties short film with Murphy selling US bonds with the help of his son Terry.

There's also some German dvds with lobby card galleries, similar to the ones on the TCM dvds, and some French dvds with a kind of introducer/commenter/talking head similar to Ben Mankewicz on the TCM dvds, only in French of course, and less about the making-of trivia and more about the general themes and subject matter of the films. These French and German dvds won't play in most American dvd players, and the French guy isn't really saying anything the average Murphy fan doesn't already know, as best I can tell.

The only Murphy film besides Apache Rifles with any kind of documentary about the making of the movie on it is the French Blu Ray version of The Unforgiven. Which is also not compatible with American hardware. It's nice that the French remember him fondly and comparatively respectfully, since Murph was one of the many, many Allied soldiers who fought to free France from the Nazis. But it would be nicer if we could get some of the films they've released (Walk The Proud Land, Column South, Guns of Fort Petticoat, Destry, Seven Ways from Sundown, etc) over here too. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 am 
Frequent User

Ordered Whispering Smith dvd set this week-end along with Column South. Interesting that the French have added introductions but most of the American DVD's haven't. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:56 am 

JackieD wrote:
Ordered Whispering Smith dvd set this week-end along with Column South. Interesting that the French have added introductions but most of the American DVD's haven't. Thanks for the info.

If you don't have a multi-region player, you may end up having to return Column South. :( Anyway, good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:40 am 
Frequent User

Christie wrote:
If you don't have a multi-region player, you may end up having to return Column South. :( Anyway, good luck!

Column South played fine BUT along with a number of other movies I have won on ebay I think it is a copy. The case is identical to others I have purchased with just a small picture of the original cover. I have World in My Corner with the same type cover and it is almost unwatchable, it is so grainy. Getting ready to buy a Bullet for a Badman.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:33 am 

JackieD wrote:
Christie wrote:

Column South played fine BUT along with a number of other movies I have won on ebay I think it is a copy. The case is identical to others I have purchased with just a small picture of the original cover. I have World in My Corner with the same type cover and it is almost unwatchable, it is so grainy. Getting ready to buy a Bullet for a Badman.

I think I know which ebay dealer you bought that from. If it's the one I'm thinking of they're great in terms of having absolutely every Audie Murphy film you could want, but their video quality can be a bit shaky.