Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:08 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

I got my DVDs today :D . The quality is great and there is a lot of extra stuff on them. I've only watched Sierra and Ride Clear of Diablo, but I'm sure the others have the same extras. There is an introduction by Ben Mankiewicz on each of the two I saw, so I'm sure the others have this as well. The Bonus Features include Scene Stills, Publicity Stills, Movie Posters, TCMdb Article which gives a lot of information about the making of the movie and stories about the actors and what happened on the set. For instance in Sierra it told about the flood in the canyon where they were making the movie and how Audie saved Wanda on his horse. It talked about their divorce and how Wanda's career went downhill after making Sierra & a lot of other stuff. Then there is an Audie Murphy biography. The whole package looks very professional. I love it :D. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:25 pm 

:shock: Sounds awesome-thanks for sharing. Mine is still in transit, probably won't get here til tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 am 

Betty, Thanks for the info shared on this movie box set. I am still waiting on mine. Should be
here soon, I Hope. !!!!! Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:25 am 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Very nice!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm 

I JUST ORDERED MINE. I WAS KIND OF WAITING TO SEE IF DEEPDISCOUNT OR AMAZON WOULD HAVE IT FOR LESS, BUT THEY AREN'T EVEN CARRYING IT YET. WAS TRYING TO BE THRIFTY (CHEAP) :wink: BUT IT DIDN'T WORK. HAD TO BUY 2 SO I COULD SEND ONE TO GERRY IN SWEDEN. ITS A WHOLE LOT CHEAPER FOR HIM IF I SEND IT TO HIM THAN ONE OF THE COMPANIES. THE SHIPPING WOULD BE MORE THE THE ITEM ITSLEF. AND SINCE I AM GONNA SEND HIM STUFF FROM AUDIE DAYS, WILL JUST ADD THIS TO IT. NOT A BIG DEAL.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 am 

OK, have not tested this set on a dvd recorder or a computer drive, but I did watch part of Sierra on my main dvd player. Picture and sound quality were very nice, and what little I saw of the Mankiewicz intro seemed respectful (was this the guy who got caught up in the alcoholism controversy?) Film itself was pretty entertaining: it felt like one of those gothic romance stories where the heroine gets transplanted somewhere unfamiliar and meets some seemingly unfriendly people (including the Brooding and Damaged but Noble Hero) who turn out to be fundamentally a lot more decent than the "friendly" people. I didn't manage to spot Tony Curtis, but I think I did spot the late and lamented James Arness as a henchman for the evil rancher.

Murphy and his then-wife Wanda seem to get blamed a lot for the weak romantic angle, but it's also badly written and not particularly well-directed, and my impresion is that they're doing what they can with the material at hand. Their somewhat adversarial chemistry works reasonably well in context. I found Wanda very annoying through most of the movie-she was just starting to improve in the prison scene, but I had to shut it off because it was getting late. Not sure how much of that is her performance versus the nature of the character versus the mental image I already had of her.

(Remarks about Ben Mankewicz edited to be less snarky. Sorry about that.)

Last edited by Christie on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:24 pm 

Christie wrote:
OK, have not tested this set on a dvd recorder or a computer drive, but I did watch part of Sierra on my main dvd player. Picture and sound quality were very nice, and what little I saw of the Mankiewicz intro seemed respectful (was this the guy who got schooled in the alcoholism controversy?) Film itself was pretty entertaining: it felt like one of those gothic romance stories where the heroine gets transplanted somewhere unfamiliar and meets some seemingly unfriendly people (including the Brooding and Damaged but Noble Hero) who turn out to be fundamentally a lot more decent than the "friendly" people. I didn't manage to spot Tony Curtis, but I think I did spot the late and lamented James Arness as a henchman for the evil rancher.

It played on my DVD recorder, I didn't try the computer. If you watch the end of Sierra you'll see Tony Curtis as the one who was the supposed bank robber but didn't really rob it. Can't miss him. Yes Ben Mankiewicz did start an uproar with his alcoholism accusation. He did apologize (I have it on DVD) and has been very kind towards Audie ever since.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:13 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

I received my copy of the 4-Disk set today. I watched Sierra today and it was so chrisp and sharp. Several months ago, I bought a complete set of Audie's movies, but they were all copies of copies and not very clear. However it was all we had. Maybe this is just the first of many new releases. See everyone at AM Days in Greenville Jun 24th & 25th.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:10 am 

Hi All,
Still waiting on mine. Must be coming by slow mule pack, (ground). It was purchased as a
Birthday Present for me from my daughter so I did not have any say in how it was going to be
shipped. Whispering Smith was the same way, even though I purchased that one... USPS, Fed Ex,
and UPS must all think California is a foreign country. Wouldn't be a bit surprised. It's either that
or those Colorado Rockies are real hard to get over. Of course the Sierra Nevada Range still has
snow over the passes, maybe that's it. Anyway Gang thanks for sharing your thoughts and when
I get my copy (hopefully sometime before the end of the year) I will chime in. I am real excited
about the re-mastered quality and the bonus stuff. Just my thoughts.. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:30 am 

Finally got mine :D

I tried Sierra on my PC; watched the extras and the intro and the first few minutes of the movie. It played just great, which was what I was the most worried about, since the fiasco with Gun Runners and Arizona Raiders. I'm planning on watching Sierra and maybe Drums this w/e.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:45 pm 

Christie wrote:
I didn't manage to spot Tony Curtis, but I think I did spot the late and lamented James Arness as a henchman for the evil rancher.

Here is a 'snappy' from the DVD
Attachment:
1619-ST073.jpg
1619-ST073.jpg [ 70.97 KiB | Viewed 2902 times ]
Tony Curtis plays Brent, the youngest of the Coulters, seen here in the lower left corner, and James Arness is "Little" Sam :lol: another of the Coulters, seen here as in the middle of the three in the upper right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:49 pm 

A better one of James Arness:
Attachment:
1619-ST086.jpg
1619-ST086.jpg [ 67.62 KiB | Viewed 2901 times ]
and of Tony Curtis:
Attachment:
1619-ST075.jpg
1619-ST075.jpg [ 63.39 KiB | Viewed 2901 times ]

I did a full complement of snappys from Sierra last night and finished editing them this morning. They will be available on Shutterfly and Fotki later today. If any of you don't have my Shutterfly info, send me an email using the {email} button below this message. Make sure to let me know your 'handle' from here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:59 pm 

Thank you Eva-very nice! Yes, I mistook the "Big Matt" character for James Arness...my only excuse was that it was pretty late when I started watching the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:45 pm 

Hi Gang...
YIPPIE YIPPIE YIPPIE SKIPPY !!!!! I FINALLY GOT MINE... Was delivered Monday 6/13 USPS Ground.
Left Philadelphia on 6/11. Upon opening package, I am REALLY impressed as to how the Discs
are packaged. Fold Out Separate compartment for each disc. Love the cover picture of Audie also.
And then the way they have listed what is on each disc besides the movie. Excellent display and
art work. Very Snazzy !!! Even better than WS tape released awhile back. I hope this is a protocol
of how Audie Movies are presented in the future.. Can't wait to view !!!! Thanks all for your input
regarding what you thought of the packages it was a real help !!! Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:59 pm 

I CHECKED THE TRACKING ON MINE AND IT IS DUE TO ARRIVE JUNE 2OTH, THE DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE FOR AUDIE MURPHY DAYS. GUESS I WILL HAVE TO TAKE IT WITH US AND THE PORTABLE DVD PLAYER.