Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAR IS HELL found!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:44 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Whoopieeee!! Here is the link. http://www.rarewarfilms.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=244

I have ordered it, so will see how it is when it comes in. Will give an update when it does, if you want to wait until then to find out how it is before you order it. It only cost $5.99, but shipping is $4.00 at checkout, so basically $10.00.

Kind of confused about the line..

ATTENTION! This film is converted from 16mm, but only the first 35 min. with the introduction of Audie Murphy.

Not sure if it means only the first 35 minutes is converted from 16mm and the rest is fine, or if this dvd only has the first 35 minutes. Either way, it has the Audie Murphy intro, so will be worth it till better comes along.

Will email them and ask.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:16 pm 

david williams wrote:
Whoopieeee!! Here is the link. http://www.rarewarfilms.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=244

I have ordered it, so will see how it is when it comes in. Will give an update when it does, if you want to wait until then to find out how it is before you order it. It only cost $5.99, but shipping is $4.00 at checkout, so basically $10.00.

Kind of confused about the line..

ATTENTION! This film is converted from 16mm, but only the first 35 min. with the introduction of Audie Murphy.

Not sure if it means only the first 35 minutes is converted from 16mm and the rest is fine, or if this dvd only has the first 35 minutes. Either way, it has the Audie Murphy intro, so will be worth it till better comes along.

Will email them and ask.

Very cool! Looking forward to your report. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 am 

I did get a reply to my email:

I am sorry, but as I have described. is only about 32 minutes. It has been very difficult just to obtain this one roll 16mmm of this film. I have tried unsuccessfully to find the rest of the film. greetings
jorn

We all know how hard this is to find, but at least we will have the Audie intro at the beginning. I also got an email that it shipped, so hopefully it won't take long and I can give an update. I was sure hoping for the whole film, but I guess we ought to consider ourselves lucky to get the Audie part.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:46 pm 

david williams wrote:
I did get a reply to my email:

I am sorry, but as I have described. is only about 32 minutes. It has been very difficult just to obtain this one roll 16mmm of this film. I have tried unsuccessfully to find the rest of the film. greetings
jorn

We all know how hard this is to find, but at least we will have the Audie intro at the beginning. I also got an email that it shipped, so hopefully it won't take long and I can give an update. I was sure hoping for the whole film, but I guess we ought to consider ourselves lucky to get the Audie part.

Yeah, at least the important part has survived. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:15 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

David,

Thanks for letting us know about this. I have always wanted to see Audie's intro to this film as this is what was playing on screen when the police officers came into the Texas theater to apprehend Lee Harvey Oswald. I think it was William Manchester's book that talked about the Texas theater incident and wrote that Audie's intro was playing on the screen at that time. We read that book in high school when we were studying about the Kennedy assassination. I am truly amazed as I thought that film was pretty lost forever. Many Audie fans have been scouring the country looking for that film. So glad it has come to light at last.

Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:00 pm 

Yeah, this and the G.E. Theatre episode are the two main elusive ones. I haven't gotten it in yet. I believe it is coming from Denmark, if I read it correctly, so could be a nother week or two. Hopefully not too long, tho. Very anxious, now that I have found at least the front part of the movie.

I have had for several years about 10 minutes of the film that is without audio, as I had it transferrred from 8mm to dvd. It is not the front part with Audie. I will have to compare the two when I get this in to see if it is part of the first part or part of a later part. What I already had appears to be somewhere in the middle, if I had to guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:13 pm 

Well, I got it in. Today. And on Audie's birthday, too! Must be fate. It looks as tho somebody set up a video camera as they played the 16mm on a screen. Which is fine, if thats the only way we can get this movie. It starts right out with Audie, as if he had just introduced himself, but we missed that part. He speaks for the next two minutes about the film. His voice was strange, tho, as if the speed was off somehow, but I could tell by the way he was speaking his 's's that it was still Audie. It then went to the 'Allied Artists' logo and then 11 minutes in to the movie it gave the title and actors, producers, directors, all that kind of credits, but didn't credit Audie. Maybe they would have credited him at the end. All the voices seemed off, so it wasn't just Audie's. The reel ended right at 34 and half minutes.

The 10 minutes I have of it from the 8mm transfer is different from this, so will contact the seller again and see if he wants this to incorporate in it somehow, tho mine is silent. That puts it at right at 45 minutes of footage of the movie. It lists as only 81 minutes anyway, so only missing around 36 minutes. If my machine that I used to transfer stuff still worked, I would just make some more dvd's of this and send it to ya'll, but my machine went kaput several months ago.

With that information, ya'll can decise if you want to spend the $9.99 for this dvd.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 pm 

I emailed the seller and asked if he knows about this 10 minutes of footage or not and if he wants it as it looks like it would continue right where his reels ended. He could incorpoate it at the end and make it right at the 45 minutes, tho the last 10 would be silent, but with english subtitles, so guess that would be okay. Will let you know what the reply is in case ya'll want to wait and get the 45 or go ahead and get the 35.

In case ya'll are wondering if what I got is worth the $9.99, I would just have to say I am glad that I got the two minutes of footage of Audie that I have never seen before, even tho the sound is off somewhat. Just my opinion. Wish I knew how to put this footage on youtube for everybody to see for free.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:30 am 

I heard back from him and he thiks it a great idea, so will be sending my 10 minutes off to him to add to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm 

david williams wrote:
I heard back from him and he thiks it a great idea, so will be sending my 10 minutes off to him to add to it.

Cool! You do have a backup copy of your ten minutes, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:54 pm 

No, I don't, my machines are all broke, so am really going out on a limb, here. He said he would send it back with the full copy of the other that includes mine, so just gonna do a lot of trusting of a stranger. I have found that most folks dealing with Audie stuff are pretty honest and helpful. Maybe that rubs off from who our hero is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 pm 

I heard back from Jorn and he has already received it, and put the extra 10 minutes on it and has already updated the link, so if you go back to the top of this thread and click on it again, it will have the updated information. He said he will mail me back my original 10 minutes and a copy of the 45 minute dvd. Only 36 minutes left to find....Enjoy. Well worth it until the whole thing can be found.

As long as it took to find this front part with Audie, the rest may never be found during our life time, so you might want to take advantage of this cheap price for this part of it. Just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:56 am 

david williams wrote:
I heard back from Jorn and he has already received it, and put the extra 10 minutes on it and has already updated the link, so if you go back to the top of this thread and click on it again, it will have the updated information. He said he will mail me back my original 10 minutes and a copy of the 45 minute dvd. Only 36 minutes left to find....Enjoy. Well worth it until the whole thing can be found.

As long as it took to find this front part with Audie, the rest may never be found during our life time, so you might want to take advantage of this cheap price for this part of it. Just saying.

Good job by both of you! :-bd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:13 pm 

I got the dvd's in yesterday. My 10 minute one and he one from him with mine added to it. Pretty good condition. Watching it all together I believe mine 10 minutes was not directly after his 35 minutes, but the actual last 10 minutes of the movie. Mine even had the end title that said 'THE END'. So I reckon we have the first 35 and the last 10, so just missing 35 minutes in the middle. Maybe someday.

Has anybody else ventured to get a copy of this yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm 

david williams wrote:
I got the dvd's in yesterday. My 10 minute one and he one from him with mine added to it. Pretty good condition. Watching it all together I believe mine 10 minutes was not directly after his 35 minutes, but the actual last 10 minutes of the movie. Mine even had the end title that said 'THE END'. So I reckon we have the first 35 and the last 10, so just missing 35 minutes in the middle. Maybe someday.

Has anybody else ventured to get a copy of this yet?

Not yet-hope to get it in the next few weeks.