Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Broken Bridge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:59 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

I decided to honor Veterans Day by watching "The Broken Bridge", or as it is called on eBay, "Audie Murphy Promotes U.S. Missile Systems". As usual, I did a bunch of snappys. Here are a few.

Attachment:
bbr-13.jpg
bbr-13.jpg [ 46.58 KiB | Viewed 3290 times ]

Attachment:
bbr-17.jpg
bbr-17.jpg [ 51.47 KiB | Viewed 3290 times ]

Post subject: Re: The Broken Bridge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:09 pm 

Attachment:
bbr-24.jpg
bbr-24.jpg [ 49.01 KiB | Viewed 3289 times ]

Attachment:
bbr-30.jpg
bbr-30.jpg [ 44.06 KiB | Viewed 3289 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm 

Attachment:
bbr-43z.jpg
bbr-43z.jpg [ 43.78 KiB | Viewed 3288 times ]

Attachment:
bbr-48.jpg
bbr-48.jpg [ 35.02 KiB | Viewed 3288 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 pm 

Attachment:
bbr-53.jpg
bbr-53.jpg [ 34.65 KiB | Viewed 3288 times ]

Attachment:
bbr-73.jpg
bbr-73.jpg [ 57.27 KiB | Viewed 3288 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 am 
Occasional User

Thank You Eva for the pictures.
Keep em coming.

Sharon J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am 

Sharon J. wrote:
Thank You Eva for the pictures.
Keep em coming.

I will, from time to time. What did y'all think of the colorized one?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 am 

Eva, I loved the pictures, all of them, even the colorized one. How did you know what color to
fill in on them or did you just use your wonderful imagination ? Also a little side note, I received
the Broken Bridge disc from my best friend who I grew up with here in Sacramento. She now lives
in Pax, West Virginia. About 45 miles from Beckley, and about an hour away from the state capital.
Anyway, the gentlemen she has been married to for over 50 years, who is now 73 years old, was in
the military for over 25 years. Six of those 25 years he was in the Army and was stationed in
Germany, when Audie did the Broken Bridges video for DOD. He actually drove Audie around in
Germany and knew a lot of the Army enlisted guys in a clip of that movie. I think Hank said he had
the great pleasure of driving Audie around the base and various check points for at least two or
three days there. This occurred in the early 60's at an Army base in Germany. Later Hank mustered
out of the Army and then re enlisted in the military, but his next stint was USAF. He later made a
career out of the USAF and retired with almost 25 years military service. What is so strange about
this whole story, is neither myself or his wife Barbara knew about this incident until a few short
years ago when I was discussing my upcoming trip to Greenville, Texas and the A.M. Festival days
there and then on to Nashville, and eventually Arlington National Cemetery in Washington. D.C.
I stopped over in Pax to see Barbara and Hank, he brought out the dvd, played it, and OF COURSE
I begged for a copy, which they gave me and I made notes of the extra little things he told me
about his 2 1/2 days driving Audie around in a Jeep. It sure is a small world. !!! Eva, Thanks
ever soooo much for your great Snappys.... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:44 am 
Occasional User

Eva,
Thought the colorized pic was excellent.
Most colorized pics I've seen in the past any where are not that
good.
Thanks again,
Sharon J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:48 am 

Shirleyjean wrote:
How did you know what color to fill in on them or did you just use your wonderful imagination ?

I just use my imagination :) If you notice, most of the background is just my generic color, though I DID do the faces of the others and the lady's grey hair. I'm not pleased with the shirt, and the jacket should probably have been a darker shade, but other than that I think it turned out pretty good. Yeah, Sharon J., certainly better than some of the ones done by the studios back then. A lot of those were laughable, and they didn't even TRY to get the colors right!

For those of you who have my Fotki site addy, there are bunches more there! The hardest was to remove the "Traditions Videos" mark from most of them. In some cases I decided to just let it stay. It was also difficult to bring out the detail with my limited resources; so much of the film (at least my copy) was sadly overexposed and washed out. It is usually easier to bring out detail from underexposed, because the detail is still back there somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Shirleyjean wrote:
... Hank ... who is now 73 years old, was in
the military for over 25 years. Six of those 25 years he was in the Army and was stationed in
Germany, when Audie did the Broken Bridges video for DOD. He actually drove Audie around in
Germany and knew a lot of the Army enlisted guys in a clip of that movie...
Shirleyjean ... two things:
1) Do you think that you could get Hank to write up an article for the messageboard about his experience driving Audie around during the filming of "The Broken Bridge"? Maybe you could help him make an messageboard account OR he could write it out on paper OR type it out on the computer and let us copy and paste it into a message on his behalf. Regardless, the story, the surrounding details, the people, any funny or standout events are all of great interest to me and I am sure to others.
2) Do you think I can get a copy of that DVD? I have none and can only watch the few minutes posted on YouTube. The actual film is public domain so copyright isn't an issue :D

Richard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:34 am 

Hi Richard,
Hope all is well for you and your family in the new house. Must be neat living in a foreign country,
especially one as exciting as Japan. Richard, for you I would try to move heaven and earth. Yes,
tomorrow being Jan 7, I will transfer DVD to tape and then back to DVD and send off. I will send an
e mail to you privately as I need to ask a couple of technical questions concerning the DVD I hope to
be able to send to you. I will also send Hank and Barbara an e-mail asking Hank to write a little
message regarding his memory of Audie's visit and if he can recall any special recollections concerning his chauffeuring Audie around during his visit there way back in the 60's. Just a little
side note, I will send you a copy of my e-mail to them so you can see the format that I used in
asking him to e mail his recollections. I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your
request however, I just recently had an eye procedure that I just went through on the 4th of this
month and today is the first day I felt like doing anything or having my eyesight not so blurry that
I can finally halfway read things. Take Care Richard and be on the lookout for the e mail.
Sincerely,

Shirley Jean.