Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:27 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

A friend of mine sent this to me and I thought you would like to see it. We met these people at Audie Days last year when they brought the clay statue. This year they brought the bronze statue that they will be presenting to the Ft. Sill SAMC club in Oklahoma.

We met a few years ago at Greenville's Audie Murphy Days where we were displaying some of our sculptures of various Medal of Honor recipients.

I am pleased to announce that the sculpture which my wife Jenelle has created of Audie Murphy is to be formally accepted in a presentation ceremony at Fort Sill on 18 July, 2012 at 11:30 am.

The ceremony is open to the public and I hope that you might come up to Fort Sill for the event although I realize that is a long drive for you, from Illinois I recall. Please spread the word among Audie's fans and supporters that all are welcome.

I have attached a few pictures of the sculpture and of the new club room in Snow Hall.

Please let me know if you or others can attend and I will get you a map to the site.

We have also completed a miniature bust of Audie that is 1/5th life size and including the little memorial base with the MOH medal and brief citation measures about 8" tall. As a way of helping to support the museum we are placing that sculpture with the museum as the exclusive source for it for sale in their gift shop or such web marketing as they may develop. I'll send you pictures of that shortly.

Mark
Mark Austin Byrd - SCULPTORS
13309 Peyton Drive
Dallas, TX 75240

972-233-7677
214-354-1236 cell

http://www.markbyrd.com
Attachment:
Audie Sculpture 1.jpg
Audie Sculpture 1.jpg [ 85.88 KiB | Viewed 3150 times ]
Attachment:
Audie Sculpture 2.jpg
Audie Sculpture 2.jpg [ 74.98 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
Attachment:
Audie Sculpture 3.jpg
Audie Sculpture 3.jpg [ 81.15 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
Attachment:
SAMC Club Room Entry.jpg
SAMC Club Room Entry.jpg [ 94.82 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
Attachment:
SAMC Club Room.jpg
SAMC Club Room.jpg [ 93.83 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]
Attachment:
SAMC Officers.jpg
SAMC Officers.jpg [ 118.11 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:20 am 

Thanks for the update-it looks like a really awesome sculpture :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm 

Thanks for posting these, Betty. We have been in Texas the last few days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:35 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Betty,

I agree with Christie that this sculpture is fabulous of Audie. I really think it looks like him and I don't think you can say that about all the statues that are out there of him but this one is excellent. I love how with these Sgt Audie Murphy clubs are really keeping his memory alive for these new generations of soldiers. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 pm 

audiefan53 wrote:
Betty,

I agree with Christie that this sculpture is fabulous of Audie. I really think it looks like him and I don't think you can say that about all the statues that are out there of him but this one is excellent. I love how with these Sgt Audie Murphy clubs are really keeping his memory alive for these new generations of soldiers. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

Sharon

Sharon:

I agree with your comment about the sculpture. Unfortunantly though the SAMC is a sore subject with me. I'll explain my thoughts on that issue at another time.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:15 pm 

Betty, Thank you so much for sharing these photos of the sculptures. It is truly amazing to me, that after forty one years since Audie's tragic demise there are still images and artwork being done about Audie, the soldier, the actor, the humanitarian. Just goes to show you what a tremendous person and patriot he truly was. Just my thoughts, Shirleyjean. :ymapplause:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Dave,

Care to elaborate on your post? I for one would like to know if the Sgt Audie Murphy Clubs are not what we think they are..........

Thanks,

Sharon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:58 pm 

audiefan53 wrote:
Dave,

Care to elaborate on your post? I for one would like to know if the Sgt Audie Murphy Clubs are not what we think they are..........

Thanks,

Sharon

Sharon:

Sure and I will try to be as painless as possible with my reply, although I am sure that I will perhaps offend someone. Please let it be known that I am only a member of this message baord and that the views and opinions expressed herein are my views only and are not to be construed as the opinions/views of Richard Rogers, www.audiemurphy.com, or of the Murphy family.

Here I will outline my thoughts on the club.

I am of the impression that the SAMC is nothing more than a title to use as a stepping stone to promotion within the enlisted ranks of the Army. I do not make that statement without much forethought but here is the background and facts surrounding my belief.

1) The Club was originally formed in the mid 1980's as a way to recognize outstanding NCO's within the Army with the desire also to help perpetuate the memory of Audie Murphy.
It would seem to me that one would do all one could to help perpetuate the legacy and memory of Audie, hence my issue with the club.

2) When the petition effort began I sent via email the narrative of the petition in electronic version as well as a link to the petition to all SAMC's and ask that the chapter President's disseminate the petition to their members and ask that they support it. In addition I also posted the petition to the Facebook walls of all of the SAMC's that had Facebook pages.
Not one club President even so much as dignified my request with a "We'll look into it" in response to my email. From the State of California in response to a Facebook Post (not an email) I had one lone SFC (E-7) sign the petition, and no one else from that particular club chapter.

3) From the Washington, D.C. area I received one response via Facebook after multiple wall post, that "we will take it under consideration at our next meeting and let yuou know." I never heard another word from them.

4) Out of some 13,000 names on the petition, I have personally counted only 60 or so names where the signer has identified themselves as a member or former member of the SAMC. Now in fairness, it is possible that someone could have chosen to sign withouit identifing themselves as a member of the club so that perhaps needs to be factored in.
I might add that there is nothing, that prohibits active duty soldiers from signing petitions, so in fact they could sign.....if they so desired.

5) In a discussion with a dear friend who is a senior Army officer about the lack of response from the SAMC's in response to the petition, he responded, "they don't care about Audie Murphy.....it is simply a stepping stone to their next promotion, as it sends their names to the top of the stack at the promotion board, since the SAMC is such an elite organization."

That said, it is true, that it is a very elite club and one must undergo a very difficult board process in order to gain entry into the Club, and yes they will appear at various community events and put on color guards etc. but that is what is expected of the members. Yes, they will be polite and respectful, and generally talk about how much they hold Audie in esteem, but when it comes time to take a stand....oh well....need I say more.

6) To further my curiosity about the remarks of my officer friend, I inquired of several other Army retirees with whom I work and got the same answer (promotional benefit).

At this point, I am not very impressed with the club in general. I have other reasons that I can provide as well, but for the moment I'll leave it to others to agree or disagree.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

Last edited by Audie'sDad on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:50 pm 

Thank you for sharing Dave, I have gotten the impression that just about any club gets that way over time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:46 pm 

Christie wrote:
Thank you for sharing Dave, I have gotten the impression that just about any club gets that way over time.

Christie:

You are probably correct. I know that initially it was not that way but after having dealt with this issue by way of the petition, sure seems it is now. Sad!

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:19 am 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Dave,

Thanks for the comments about the SAMC. It is sad to think it started out with a noble purpose and didn't stay that way. Let's hope not every person associated with the SAMC feels it is just a stepping stone to a promotion but that they truly care about living up to the name they are associating themselves with. I would hate to think there are no members who have an affinity for Audie but are just using his name as a way to move up the ranks in their own careers. Too cynical for my taste. I certainly don't doubt the reliability of your sources for why you feel the way you do about SAMC but let's hope there are still a few noble enlisted men sprinkled around the SAMC.

Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:07 am 

Dave and Sharon,
Sad to say I share your views regarding the current SAMC. I can attest to Dave's comment regarding the
signers of the PMOF petition as he had asked me to review the PMOF record of signers for any errors that
I may have found. There were darn few who mentioned belonging to the SAMC club during their enlistment
in the Army. Hopefully as Sharon says there still may be a few out there who do not view the club as a
stepping stone to self promotion. How ironic that even after all these years people will try to hang on to
the coat tails of Audie's reputation for self promotion just like it was when Audie was alive. It makes me
understand better why Audie was as careful as he could be in regards to the projects he undertook.

Just my thoughts. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:45 pm 

Shirleyjean wrote:
Dave and Sharon,
Sad to say I share your views regarding the current SAMC. I can attest to Dave's comment regarding the
signers of the PMOF petition as he had asked me to review the PMOF record of signers for any errors that
I may have found. There were darn few who mentioned belonging to the SAMC club during their enlistment
in the Army. Hopefully as Sharon says there still may be a few out there who do not view the club as a
stepping stone to self promotion. How ironic that even after all these years people will try to hang on to
the coat tails of Audie's reputation for self promotion just like it was when Audie was alive. It makes me
understand better why Audie was as careful as he could be in regards to the projects he undertook.

Just my thoughts. Shirley Jean.

Shirley Jean:

Thanks for recalling the members on the petition for me and for assisting to verify my story. It is sad that it is that way, but I guess that just says a lot about today's society.

Thanks,

Dave