Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 pm 
Occasional User

I have interpreted this letter as best I can. There is an envelope that I will have to place in a second post because the Forum only allows 3 attachments.

Regards, Leon

France feb.7, 45

Dear Mom,

Just a line to say hello and let you know that I am ok. Hope you are all well. I received the pkg. with the gloves in it thanks a million. Someday I will send you something from france. As soon as I get time. we have been awful busy since I got back to the Co. Dick is in England now had a couple of letters from him. I dont know much new mom but I still love all of you. So be good and Ill write more next time if I can. I had a letter from Mrs. Lee I will write to her soon. Well tell everyone hello for me (dont forget to tell Granma) and write often.

Love Audie

Attachments:
audie_murphy_letter_450217-1.jpg
audie_murphy_letter_450217-1.jpg [ 207.74 KiB | Viewed 2850 times ]
audie_murphy_letter_450217-2.jpg
audie_murphy_letter_450217-2.jpg [ 200.08 KiB | Viewed 2850 times ]
audie_murphy_letter_450217-3.jpg
audie_murphy_letter_450217-3.jpg [ 197.71 KiB | Viewed 2850 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

That looks like a sound interpretation, Leon-good job on scanning these, and interpreting as necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 pm 
Trusted Scholar

Thanks so much Leon for posting these. I've got letters from my uncle that were sent to my parents during his time overseas and I treasure every one. I'm actually attempting to preserve these. I've made copies of the letters because they seem to all have been written in pencil which disappears quickly with time. I need to do some research to see if he was ever close to or attached in some way to Audie's outfit.

Thanks again....have we ever asked you where you came upon all these letters of Audie's??? Might have already answered, but just curious :-\

***Teri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 pm 
Occasional User

Hi Teri,

John Cawthon's son had the Audie stuff and got into some kind of financial trouble. At least that's what I was told. He sold either all or a bunch of the items to a collector that I know. The collector is now up in years and, since I had looked at the items and was very interested, he sold them to me about 18 months ago.

Regards, Leon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm 

Hi Leon. I know you were pretty disappointed in Audie Days last year, but you might give it another try this year. I think it will be better and Michael Dante will be there. Think about it. It will be in April this year so maybe not so hot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:46 pm 
Trusted Scholar

Betty wrote:
Hi Leon. I know you were pretty disappointed in Audie Days last year, but you might give it another try this year. I think it will be better and Michael Dante will be there. Think about it. It will be in April this year so maybe not so hot.

I have to "ditto" what Betty just said Leon. I wasn't able to be there last year either, so maybe more of us will be back. With Michael Dante coming, it's going to be very interesting getting to talk with him and hear about his starring with Audie. Looking forward to this year and to seeing everyone AGAIN!

***Teri :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm 
Occasional User

Hi Betty & Teri,

I do plan to attend this year. I look forward to seeing you.

Regards, Leon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:20 am 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

leon, looking forward to seeing you, betty, david and all the Audie web friends at AM Days. We are working hard to put together two full days of informative info on Audie and all our veterans, plus some entertaining events such as Audie Bingo, several movies, Q&A with Michael Dante, free give aways, great musical entertain Friday, chili supper and many other events not yet planned. By moving the event to April, the weather hopefully will be much cooler. Also don't forget the get together Thursday night at Cee Cee's.

See everyone in April.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 am 

Larry,

Are we having the cavalry this year since its gonna be a cooler time of year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:42 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Susan is trying to get them, so far we have not heard back from them, but we will keep trying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 pm 

Thanks. I hope since it is so warm now that we don't have a late winter and it be too cold for it!