Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:47 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

This one, though newer than the last one, scanned much better.
Attachment:
File comment: Front cover
's a Will - ©1991 000.JPG
's a Will - ©1991 000.JPG [ 165.37 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 144
's a Will - ©1991 144.jpg
's a Will - ©1991 144.jpg [ 64.75 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 145
's a Will - ©1991 145.JPG
's a Will - ©1991 145.JPG [ 100.07 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 146
's a Will - ©1991 146.JPG
's a Will - ©1991 146.JPG [ 108.73 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 147
's a Will - ©1991 147.JPG
's a Will - ©1991 147.JPG [ 101.42 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 148
's a Will - ©1991 148.JPG
's a Will - ©1991 148.JPG [ 108.78 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 149
's a Will - ©1991 149.JPG
's a Will - ©1991 149.JPG [ 104.77 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: page 150
's a Will - ©1991 150.JPG
's a Will - ©1991 150.JPG [ 109.43 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:54 am 

A note for those of you who download the images: I've noticed a weird idiosyncracy of this message board. Whenever an attached file has an apostrophe in the file name, the part of the file name BEFORE the apostrophe is dropped. I have seen it here before. These files were named "Where There's a Will - ©1991 " plus the page number, but they are saved as "'s a Will - ©1991 " plus the page number.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:12 pm 

Thank you for sharing this! I'd been curious about this book, but between the confusion of picking up the right edition (I believe the later ones don't include him), and some other factors just hadn't gotten around to it.

Random thoughts, I hope this doesn't sound too morbid or nosy:

-Simpson claims that Murphy made arrangements to be buried at Arlington in the late sixties; and I've seen comments to the effect that the funeral provisions here date to the mid-sixties (though the text here doesn't mention it). It would seem that he simply forgot to update his will when he made the arrangements at Arlington.

-split between estate and personal effects. I don't see this as being all that peculiar: clearly he wanted to provide for Pam but felt that his sons ought to have something to remember him by also, and perhaps he also felt that they would have more interest in or more use for the kinds of things he had accumulated.

-blocking of illegitimate children from inheritance: I suspect this was more to short-circuit claims and lawsuits that would have given Pam, Terry and Skipper additional pain or unwanted publicity. My impression of the man is that if he had any children out of wedlock he would have preferred to provide for them, discreetly, during his lifetime than make a commotion by acknowledging them in his will.

-the description here of Pam's lawsuit and its result is not entirely accurate: the entity she won the settlement from was Colorado Aviation, which was in bankruptcy proceedings at the time. Herman Butler, the deceased pilot, was an officer of the company, but I don't believe it's accurate to say that it was his estate which would have had to pay out.

-IIRC the one set of quotes comes from an interview conducted in early 1970, I want to say February or March. So a year and change before his death, not the two years the author states here. There are other sloppy bits, but they are mostly rearrangements of Don Graham's factoids in chronologically awkward ways.

-I'd seen the quotes about his very minimalistic idea of a funeral service before. They always struck me as sounding like he was either in a very depressed, self-loathing mood when he ordered that, or as if he'd had a bad argument with his wife about religion and/or funeral arrangements, and she'd been provoked into saying something along the lines of "I'm burying you from my church, because it will be more comforting to the boys," or something like that, and this was his response. People say things like that, when they're angry. It would also explain why the executor (probably a friend) didn't insist on that set of provisions-he knew that, in the long run, Murphy didn't really mean it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

I find this an interesting read and it brings to my mind a few thoughts. One is about the circumstances surrounding the burial. And the other is about how writers (McClure, Graham, Silverman, and others) feel as if they have license to speculate without referencing or doing proper research.

First thought ... the author obviously relied heavily on Graham's book without questioning anything in it. In my mind Silverman was looking at writing something quickly without having to do much homework. Too bad. I will give him credit for digging up details of the will - the Forest Lawn versus Arlington National Cemetery issue is something I have known for a long time, through Larryann. It seemed wise not to speculate on the website about the reasons of why Arlington was selected and not Forest Lawn. I have never really discussed it until now.

Larryann told me on more than one occasion that Audie's burial at Arlington National Cemetery was something that has troubled and concerned Terry Murphy. While he understands the historical significance of his father being buried at Arlington he now knows it was his father's wish to be buried at Forest Lawn. I sense that Terry feels as if somehow, his father was let down by the final decision to disregard his final wish.

To those who are troubled about Audie not wanting to be interred at Arlington, I think he didn't want to distract from all the real heroes, those whose only crosses were made of stone (to loosely borrow from something Audie once said). I believe his desire to be buried in a private cemetery, like Forest Lawn, is perfectly consistent with him not wanting to capitalize or draw attention to himself for his heroic feats.

With that said, Audie wanted a "modest" funeral. At the time of his death, the family had no money. The funeral at Arlington was provided by the government and in this sense, it satisfied the terms and conditions of Audie's will. At the time, the country was still engaged in a war and the burial details and military mechanisms for providing for a deceased soldier's family a government funeral in a military cemetery were well-oiled and in full swing. The actual cost of that funeral to the family was probably close to nothing and knowing how financially destitute Pam and the kids were, this was probably a primary factor in deciding where Audie was interred.

To suggest that the family had an option (Forest Lawn ain't cheap) is to suggest that a lot of benefactors and caring people were out there and would have made the arrangements and covered the costs for the family. When you look at the "friends" who showed up to the memorial in LA and the burial at DC, those caring friends capable of paying for a private funeral are hard to count.

My guess is that the family was on an emotional roller coaster at that time. Pam has always struck me as emotionally delicate too. I can well imagine that shortly after the death occurred, when the military survivor assistance officer was explaining to her the options she had, she chose one that was most reasonable for her and the family. The Arlington option put most, if not all of the funeral details and expense in the hands of the government. Pam didn't have to do much work at all on managing the funeral. She pretty much let the military handle it all. This made it simple and a lot easier on her and the boys.

Why Audie's headstone at Arlington was not a MOH headstone is something I am unclear about. Maybe those headstones require the family to pay extra money. I do know that the government will fund certain basics on a military funeral. Families who want to "upgrade" can do so, but the extra expense is on them. The basic military headstone is provided free. A MOH headstone may also be free. But maybe the family felt Audie would not want the special headstone because he wasn't attached to his awards. The undecorated headstone does underscore that Audie was very humble about his accomplishments. I think the unadorned military headstone, if he had to have a government marker, was in keeping with the spirit of Audie's will and wishes.

Last of all, after typing up hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of documents which you good people have found and provided, I am struck by the absence of anything reliable that states that Audie had extra-marital affairs. To me, the provision in the will about other people stepping forward claiming to be his offspring is a standard line that is routinely inserted by all lawyers whenever executing a will. It is not meant to suggest that Audie had any children out of wedlock and as such, cannot be used to assume he therefore had lots of mistresses.

Think carefully about it ... how many people stepped forward when Howard Hughes, Anna Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson and others died? How many were proven later to be nothing more than opportunists trying to earn an undeserved buck? I may be a hick from northeast Texas, but if you speculate on the "significance" of the statement in the will which refutes any other claims of people who step forward claiming to be children or descendants of Audie, you are going way out on a very thin limb.

The closest thing I have seen about Audie's infidelity was in something McClure wrote after Audie's death. He mentioned something about Audie having affairs with an Italian girl and others while on a pass in Italy. Another article was on the Gofstein incident when Audie beat up the dog handler who had been hired by his girl friend. There was also the "slapping" incident when Audie confronted the two young men parked outside a "girlfriend's" apartment selling vacuum cleaners.

I have a big problem with McClure's story. Yeah, he was Audie's friend in the early years, but I don't believe Audie was the "kiss and tell" type. Where the heck was McClure when this incident happen? He wasn't in Italy. How did he come across the information? Did Audie tell him? Hmmmm ... sounds suspicious to me. Where are the corroborating accounts - surely there were soldiers from Audie's former unit that could have been interviewed before McClure and Graham just tossed the information out to the public. No? Maybe Silverman found someone to interview? No? Well, who the heck did? I guess no one had the time.

The other two articles? I have the same problem with them. The details are too sketchy. They are unreliable, if anything, simply because they aren't confirmed by anything or anyone else.

I am not saying that Audie didn't have extra-marital relationships. But I am saying that I am disgusted by professional writers that have "speculated" about the three incidents above, without credible, corroborating information. Their speculation becomes quoted and requoted and the next thing you know, everybody swears its true, someone does a movie about it, and the distortions are now history. Worse, future writers are given new salacious bits of info to speculate on and write about in sequels.

If you are going to write about it, then do your homework and do it right. Don't waste your reader's time with innuendo or "maybes". Be accurate and credible as you write.

Anyway, it saddens me that the speculation of "professional" writers has made Audie into an "adulterer" and a "womanizer" ... two words I have heard many, many times from people in my 15+ years working this website. People who use those words are strangely silent when I say to them "cite your sources". Usually, there are none. Rarely, they refer to Graham, McClure or one of the incidents above. (Geeze, is that the best they can do?)

I'm done. Don't hesitate to set me straight ... I know I get things wrong sometimes. :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:34 pm 

Thank you, Richard! That sounds like a good explanation of the funeral issues. I would say that whether he wanted it or not, the Arlington burial was no less than he deserved, as with the medals.

On the other thing: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he did have children out of wedlock; I was mostly bristling at the author's suggestion that it was somehow uncaring of him to include such a clause.

On his love-life, it's a matter of which sources sound plausible to you, I guess. I think it's safe to say that Spec is not a reliable source, and I actually don't have any trouble imagining his connection with Judy Pope (teenager slapping incident) and Maria D'Auria (dogtrainer incident) as being basically platonic: Murphy seemed to get it into his head that certain people needed protecting, darnit, and no force in the universe could convince him that it wasn't his job. And it's interesting that one of his closer friends interviewed for the FBI background check claimed that the real source of friction between him and Pam was how to raise their children, with Pam being stricter and her husband more indulgent.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
The closest thing I have seen about Audie's infidelity was in something McClure wrote after Audie's death. He mentioned something about Audie having affairs with an Italian girl and others while on a pass in Italy.

Audie wasn't married when he was on a pass in Italy. Who was he unfaithful to at that time? :-\

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:02 pm 

Christie wrote:
On the other thing: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he did have children out of wedlock; I was mostly bristling at the author's suggestion that it was somehow uncaring of him to include such a clause.

I think that if he DID have any out-of-wedlock children, not only would he have provided for them, but I am pretty sure he would have acknowledged them. He was so very much a family man, and I feel that his biggest sorrow was that Pam would not have any more children.

I am speculating only, from bits and pieces and from his general nature. I have NO proof of what I am saying here.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Betty wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:
The closest thing I have seen about Audie's infidelity was in something McClure wrote after Audie's death. He mentioned something about Audie having affairs with an Italian girl and others while on a pass in Italy.
Audie wasn't married when he was on a pass in Italy. Who was he unfaithful to at that time? :-\
An excellent point Betty. Thanks for pointing that out.

If Audie had a rendezvous with a woman in Italy, it wouldn't be unusual when taken into context with what many other soldiers were doing back then. Not to excuse that behavior but soldiers back then did that sort of thing. But in my book, Audie didn't have the character for it or the character for bragging about it. Why would Audie blab about it to McClure. That's the part that doesn't wash with me. Why would Audie brag about a conquest to a 2d rate gossip columnist? Seems to me that if Audie had bragged about an affair while on pass, he would have probably boasted about other things too to include his medals.

I hope someone can help me out here. The McClure reference I am talking about was in an article after Audie's death. McClure is quoted as saying something to the affect that Audie had slept with a mother and two daughters (one of which was supposedly "Maria" in To Hell and Back. I apologize for drawing attention to this comment - I find it distasteful and gutless as there is no proof given by McClure that Audie ever stated it or the circumstances it was given. It also shows that McClure had no scruples or sense of loyalty to someone he assured everybody was his "friend."

I am wondering too if Graham quoted this McClure story too. I don't remember but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't have a Graham book here in Japan to check. Maybe someone can check for me.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:48 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
I hope someone can help me out here. The McClure reference I am talking about was in an article after Audie's death. McClure is quoted as saying something to the affect that Audie had slept with a mother and two daughters (one of which was supposedly "Maria" in To Hell and Back. I apologize for drawing attention to this comment - I find it distasteful and gutless as there is no proof given by McClure that Audie ever stated it or the circumstances it was given. It also shows that McClure had no scruples or sense of loyalty to someone he assured everybody was his "friend."

I am wondering too if Graham quoted this McClure story too. I don't remember but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't have a Graham book here in Japan to check. Maybe someone can check for me.

In Graham's retelling, IIRC, it's something Spec and Murphy discussed while trying to figure out what to put in THAB, the book. There are other sources in Graham who seem to feel that Murphy could have a rather off-color sense of humor in male-only company, and honestly, I'd always wondered if the three ladies in Rome were not some kind of joke on his part, to see if Spec were really that gullible. But, as usual, we don't have any way of knowing.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:44 pm 

Christie wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:

In Graham's retelling, IIRC, it's something Spec and Murphy discussed while trying to figure out what to put in THAB, the book. There are other sources in Graham who seem to feel that Murphy could have a rather off-color sense of humor in male-only company, and honestly, I'd always wondered if the three ladies in Rome were not some kind of joke on his part, to see if Spec were really that gullible. But, as usual, we don't have any way of knowing.

I agree with you Christie. At any rate, most of those kids felt they could die at any time and took advantage of the opportunities presented them. I feel Audie probably felt the same way. I wouldn't call this an "affair". And I can't imagine Audie disrespecting a mother in that way, knowing how much he loved his own mother. That's just my own opinion (and hope). Everything is just conjecture on our part anyhow. :-??

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]