Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Another milestone achieved!
General PX Kelley, a former Commandant of the Marine Corps, which is the same duty position as Chief of Staff of the Army has endorsed the petition.
Having a Commandant of the Marine Corps is certainly a must-have as you all know of the problems associated with inter-service rivalries and the like.
So now we have a Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, all but one Chief of Staff of the Army, a Chief of Staff of the Air Force, a Chief of Naval Operations, and a Commaandant of the Marine Corps!
Each branch of our Armed Forces are represented by at least one service chief of that branch.
General Kelley also holds the Silver Star Medal for heroism in Vietnam. Post-retirement General Kelley was Chairman of the American Battle Monuments Commission.

Here is his bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PX_KELLY

Here is his endorsement:

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 am 
Site Admin

Dave ... who is the solo-holdout on the Army Chief of Staff? It's gotta be Colin Powell. I wonder if he REALLY wants to wear that title (solo-holdout) the next time he and his peers get together over drinks? Something tells me Colin will come around.

In the meantime, another great signature ... I knew the corps would come through for us! SEMPER FI :-bd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:27 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Dave ... who is the solo-holdout on the Army Chief of Staff? It's gotta be Colin Powell. I wonder if he REALLY wants to wear that title (solo-holdout) the next time he and his peers get together over drinks? Something tells me Colin will come around.

In the meantime, another great signature ... I knew the corps would come through for us! SEMPER FI :-bd

Richard:

As a former Marine I certainly will not belittle the Corps but to get a Marine General is not an easy thing to do; believe me. Probably the hardest of signers because of the Marine Corps mentality and selectiveness, especially considering the Corps didn't want Audie in WWII. Big mistake!, lol!
In any case, I always analyize the person and try to guess as to weather he will sign. Sometimes they surprise me. I served under Kelley but didn't think he would sign. By contrast I served under CMC Al Gray (Korea and Vietnam vet) and felt he would as he had THB on his reading list for professional developement when I served under him as CMC. To this date I haven't heard from him. You never know!

As to the sole hold-out, I said it was Chief of Staff. General Powell was not Chief of Staff but rather Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The sole hold-out is General Reimer, who was Chief in the late 90's.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."