Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Sergeant Major of the Army William A. Connelly who served as the 6th Sergeant Major of the Army has endorsed the petition for Audie.
The post of Sergeant Major of the Army is a unique non-commissioned rank in the United States Army. The holder of this rank is the most senior enlisted member of the Army and is appointed to serve as a spokesman to address the issues of enlisted soldiers to all officers, from Warrant Officers and Lieutenants to the Army's highest positions. The SMA is the senior enlisted advisor to the Chief of Staff of the US Army. The exact duties vary, depending on the Chief of Staff, though much of the SMA's time is spent traveling throughout the Army, observing training and talking to soldiers and their families.
While the SMA is a non-commissioned officer, the position is protocol equivalent to a lieutenant general.
There have been 14 Sergeants Major of the Army since the position was created in 1967. Sergeant Major Connelly served as the sixth.

Here is his bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Connelly

Here is his endorsement:

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

It's nice to have the former Army Command Sergeant Major on board. I was getting worried there! Great addition, Dave. Maybe this will open the floodgates on the Army side.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:53 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Richard Rodgers wrote:
It's nice to have the former Army Command Sergeant Major on board. I was getting worried there! Great addition, Dave. Maybe this will open the floodgates on the Army side.

Richard:

Due to the prestige of the position, I was bound and determined to have a former Sergeant Major of the Army on board, and finally I got one!
Oh, he is not a Army Command Sergeant Major. I have lots of those. Connelly is one of only perhaps 15 Sergeants Major of the Army, since the post was created in 1968.
Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."