Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:58 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi everyone:

Sorry for the delay but I have been out of the Country since last Thursday.
I will be away a while yet to come, not sure when I will return.
In any case, my wife keeps me advised of petitions coming in.
Today, she sent this transciption of the 'letter of endorsement' from Senator Bob Dole. Although I am sure you all know who he is, I will post his a link to his biography anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dole

I had mentioned waiting for an important endorsement some time ago, and although I knew it was coming, I did not realize it would take this long.
In any case, he very eloquently laid out the case for Audie in his endorsement and as you all know Senator Dole is a WWII veteran, very well respected on both sides of the political aisle and is a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom himself, having received it from President Clinton in 1998.
When I am able I will place an actual scan of the letter of the Page for all to view.

Here is a transcript of`the 'letter of endorsement.'

"Thank you for your letter regarding your efforts to posthumously award Audie Murphy the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Audie was a remarkable figure in our nation's history, and his countless military honors reflect his significant contributions during World War II.
Equally as important, Audie helped change our nation's attitudes toward post traumatic stress disorder suffered by our men and women in uniform. He was a pioneer in raising awareness of an illness then only known as "battle fatigue," and and as a result our nation finally began to recognize the need for early diagnosis and treatment.
I fully support your campaign to posthumously award Audie Murphy the Presidential Medal of Freedom. This honor would be well-deserved for this true American hero."

God Bless America!

Bob Dole

Keep your fingers crossed everyone, and perhaps, ........just maybe, this might happen yet!

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 am 

Hi Dave,
Great News !!!! Hope all is well for you and your family, and Please Stay Safe Over There !!!!
I still hope you receive notification from Chief of Staff, however, I know they have been a little
busy recently with bigger fish to fry.... Take Care Dave.. Sincerely, Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 am 

Put this letter on top of the pile! If this doesn't get their attention I don't know what will. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:20 pm 

Very cool! 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:52 pm 

Attaboy Dave!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:28 am 
Trusted Scholar

Great news Dave! I knew that he'd be one of the signatures! Take care and let us know when you're back. Maybe we could make a hard copy of Sen. Dole's letter (and others) and have it at the museum for people to see who all has signed ahead of them.

***Teri