Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Lieutenant Colonel Anthony B. Herbert, who was selected by the Army in 1951 to recognize all combat soldiers of the Korea War and brought back to the U.S. a hero to help promote the war and given the title "the most decorated soldier of the Korean War" (although not really true) has endorsed the petition for Audie.
Colonel Herbert received five Silver Star Medals, four Bronze Star Medals, and four Purple Hearts, and is the only foreign recipient of the the Osminieh Order, a breast badge awarded for heroism by the government of Turkey. At 23 Herbert was one of the youngest Master Sergeants of the War.
Colonel Herbert is very reclusive (perhaps I should say private), so I was shocked today when I went to the mailbox as not only had he signed the petition, but he enclosed an original photo of he and Audie taken together on the set of "World in My Corner." I had not seen, as best as I can remember, that particular photo before. In the image they are swapping copies of their memoirs.
On the verso, he penned his comment in support of the petition and clarified the rumor that has always existed that he and Audie did not like each other, suppossedly as I have heard over the years due to the "most decorated" issue and comparision of their combat records. From the comment there can be no doubt that these two were indeed very fond of one another and shared mutual respect and admiration.
Not to denegrate Colonel Herbert's heroism but there were many that were more decorated depending on how one defines decorated, but Colonel Herbert was the one that was selected by the Army and is considered to be the "most decorated" of that conflict.
In any case, Anthony Herbert served during Korea and Vietnam and eventually retired from the Army and became a clinical psychologist.
Colonel Herbert has a very interesting story, having been wounded 14 times, and in particular how he got "sideways" with the Army during the Vietnam War when he made allegations of atrocities being committed by U.S. soldiers.
If you aren't familier with the Herbert story please take a moment to read the bio I am attaching a link to and if you have further interest, read his autobiography "Soldier" which I read as a young Marine. It should be in your local library.
History it seems has vindicated Herbert for his opinions and reports of atrocities during his time in Vietnam and it is obvious that the "brass" was a bit ticked off at him for his reports of those allegations.
Lastly, I feel Herbert is a very humble man as well, and in particular, I like this comment of his about leaving the Army and how he felt about reporting the truth (atrocities) to his superiors which in effect cost him his career.
Herbert reflected; "If you stick by your guns, if you stand by the truth, you win. I feel good about my time in Vietnam and my time in the Army. As my friend Sergeant Major John Bittorie once said, 'There are two kinds of military reputations. One is official and on paper in Washington DC. The other is the one that goes from bar to bar, from the mouths of those who served with you there.' That is the only reputation I ever really cared about."

Here is his bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Herbert_(US_soldier)

Here you will find a first-hand account of his Vietnam heroism in a letter written by one of his soldiers:

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2007/04/remembering_col.html

Here is his endorsement:

Here is his penned comment on the verso of the photo.

Here is the pic Colonel Herbert provided to me.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

Last edited by Audie'sDad on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:34 pm 

Thanks Dave, this is a great one! And I love the picture.

That copy of To Hell and Back is also extremely rare, as of the 33 copies I have, that is not one of them. As a matter of fact I had only seen this cover on the To Hell and Back movie posters. As I have a studio press release packet with that cover, I was unsure if they actually released a copy with that cover. Now I know for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:49 pm 

Wow, now there's a funny coincidence-I was just reading about him on another site. A very courteous response-it was very nice of him to include the picture with the note on the back.

I have seen comments to the effect that Col. Herbert did sometimes rub people the wrong way, independently of the whole whistle-blowing thing, but it's nice to know that he got along with Murph.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:02 pm 

david williams wrote:
Thanks Dave, this is a great one! And I love the picture.

That copy of To Hell and Back is also extremely rare, as of the 33 copies I have, that is not one of them. As a matter of fact I had only seen this cover on the To Hell and Back movie posters. As I have a studio press release packet with that cover, I was unsure if they actually released a copy with that cover. Now I know for sure!

David:

Thanks for catching that! I had completely overlooked the cover. Again good catch! Thanks for the post!

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:07 pm 

Christie wrote:
Wow, now there's a funny coincidence-I was just reading about him on another site. A very courteous response-it was very nice of him to include the picture with the note on the back.

I have seen comments to the effect that Col. Herbert did sometimes rub people the wrong way, independently of the whole whistle-blowing thing, but it's nice to know that he got along with Murph.

Christie:

That is indeed coincidental! Herbert is definantly an interesting guy. I plan to write him a thank you and give him a buzz and see if he would mind expounding on his friendship with Audie, as it appears from the statement that they kept in touch until Audie passed away.
It is also a thought to ponder, and one that I would like to clarify, as Herbert mentions "Atlanta in May of '71."
I am not usre if he simply has forgotten where the crash took place, or perhaps since Herbert was still on active duty then, if he was assigned to Fort Benning (an hour from Atlanta) and perhaps he either met Audie there in May or perhaps planned to meet Audie there.
Just something I am a bit curious about. Herbert's number is unlisted, but I have it and as I said think I will buzz him.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 pm 

Audie'sDad wrote:
Christie wrote:

Christie:

That is indeed coincidental! Herbert is definantly an interesting guy. I plan to write him a thank you and give him a buzz and see if he would mind expounding on his friendship with Audie, as it appears from the statement that they kept in touch until Audie passed away.
It is also a thought to ponder, and one that I would like to clarify, as Herbert mentions "Atlanta in May of '71."
I am not usre if he simply has forgotten where the crash took place, or perhaps since Herbert was still on active duty then, if he was assigned to Fort Benning (an hour from Atlanta) and perhaps he either met Audie there in May or perhaps planned to meet Audie there.
Just something I am a bit curious about. Herbert's number is unlisted, but I have it and as I said think I will buzz him.

Thanks,

Dave

That sounds quite possible, Dave-from everything I've heard, Murph had a tendency to "check up on" friends in different parts of the country when he thought he would be in the area, and my understanding was that he flew into Atlanta the night (or day?) before he and his group set out from Martinsville. It seems like he could maybe have arranged to hang out with Herbert or someone similar in Atlanta on the evening of the 27th.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:27 am 

Audie'sDad wrote:
Christie wrote:

Christie:

Thanks,

Dave

Can't wait to hear what you find out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 pm 
Trusted Scholar

I agree Betty....CAN'T WAIT to hear. I HAVE NO DOUBT that Dave will call him and find out what he can about their friendship and that fateful day in 1971.

***Teri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Dave,

This was a very nice endorsement for Audie. He definitely wrote the word signal so he might have meant singular honor. I had totally forgotten about the 60 Minutes piece and after reading that it may tell you why he is reclusive or very private and stays out of the limelight. Audie did go to Atlanta the night before the trip to Virginia. He had dinner with some friends so who knows maybe Herbert did meet up with him in Atlanta on that night. I am glad to know there was not the animosity between them like most of us had read or heard through the years. The photo of the two of them is the one I had seen before and I am not familiar with that cover of To Hell and Back. I am also way impressed that David Williams has 33 copies of To Hell and Back. I have 11 and thought that was pretty good.......NOT!! ;) I really am glad you got this endorsement and he said such gracious things about Audie. Do let us know what he says if you reach him on the phone. With the exception of John Tuell you seem to be able to get anyone to talk to you on the phone. Obviously a real gift.

Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:21 pm 

Dave,

It might be worth while to see if he could make it to Audie Days next May 17 & 18. He would be an awesome guest. If he would be interested, I am sure Larry can help us with that, eh Larry?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:58 am 

Christie wrote:
Audie'sDad wrote:
Christie wrote:

Christie:

Thanks,

Dave

That sounds quite possible, Dave-from everything I've heard, Murph had a tendency to "check up on" friends in different parts of the country when he thought he would be in the area, and my understanding was that he flew into Atlanta the night (or day?) before he and his group set out from Martinsville. It seems like he could maybe have arranged to hang out with Herbert or someone similar in Atlanta on the evening of the 27th.

Christie:

I found an internet message board post on Herbert that mentioned in 1970-71 he was an ROTC Instructor at the University of Georgia. Through map quest it appears that is an hour drive from Atlanta, so I think it is becoming more plausible that Audie and Herbert got together the night or so before the flight or perhaps Audie was going to see Herbert in Atlanta after the Martinsville trip as he was to return to Atlanta some days later.
In either case it is intriguing.
I'll follow up with Herbert.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:59 am 

Betty wrote:
Audie'sDad wrote:
Christie wrote:

Christie:

Thanks,

Dave

Can't wait to hear what you find out.

Betty:

I'll post his response as soon as I know.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:01 am 

Teri Edge wrote:
I agree Betty....CAN'T WAIT to hear. I HAVE NO DOUBT that Dave will call him and find out what he can about their friendship and that fateful day in 1971.

***Teri

Teri and all:

I tried the number I have for Herbert and it is disconnected. It was unlisted but anyway the number no longer is in service. I'll drop him off a personal thank you note tomorrow and pose the question.
Since my phone number is on the letterhead hopefully he will send a response via mail or give me a call.
I'll let you guys know.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:03 am 

david williams wrote:
Dave,

It might be worth while to see if he could make it to Audie Days next May 17 & 18. He would be an awesome guest. If he would be interested, I am sure Larry can help us with that, eh Larry?

David:

I'll see what I can do on that as well in due time. I am thinking it probably will not interest him as he is very reclusive but you never know.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

A great endorsement Dave. And what a fascinating story with the promise of more interesting information to come. I particularly appreciate you posting the photo and comments. Like the others, I am on pins and needles regarding the visit to Atlanta just before Audie's death. Confirming that meeting and who was in it, and possibly what was said, etc., would be a piece of Audie history nailed down that has eluded other would-be historians.

I, for one, am staying tuned for more.