Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MoF Recipients
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:44 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Saw this today. If a basketball coach can get the Medal of Freedom Audie surely should!

President Barack Obama will award the Medal of Freedom to former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.

It's the nation's highest civilian honor.

Albright was the first woman named Secretary of State, serving under former President Bill Clinton. Albright now runs a global strategy firm in Washington.

Obama says Albright's life is an inspiration to all Americans. The president issued a statement saying her scholarship and insight continue to make the world a better, more peaceful place.

Other recipients of this year's Medal of Freedom include Pat Summitt, the longtime University of Tennessee women's basketball coach, and Jan Karski, who was among the first people to provide accounts of the Holocaust to the world.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04 ... z1tB37F6u2

Post subject: Re: MoF Recipients
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Are all of these newest recipients women? Nothing wrong with that ... but BASKETBALL COACHES? Give me a break! I sort of get the feeling OBama is using the medal to curry favor with female voters.

I hope he decides to curry :D favor with Audie voters soon when the petition is put on his desk.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:34 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Are all of these newest recipients women? Nothing wrong with that ... but BASKETBALL COACHES? Give me a break! I sort of get the feeling OBama is using the medal to curry favor with female voters.

I hope he decides to curry :D favor with Audie voters soon when the petition is put on his desk.

Richard and All:

It seems perhaps I let you guys down a bit and fell asleep at the wheel.
The announcement that Shirley Jean refers to was the official announcement of the awardees for this year.
That said, I am not giving up the fight but I amy need to adjust fire just a bit.
I still plan on the D.C. trip (Inouye) when I return and plan to request that in light of the many, many endorsements that we have gathered, that the Seator request that Audie be added to this years awardees as a special nomination. Perhaps I should have tried to get this submitted earlier, but I felt I did not yet have the star power behind it and decided to wait it out a bit.
May work, may not, but I plan to give it a shot.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:09 pm 
Researcher

Richard Rodgers wrote:

I'm not a women, but even if he selects Audie for the award, he won't get my vote.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:35 pm 

Bob wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:

I'm not a women, but even if he selects Audie for the award, he won't get my vote.

Betty:

If I am not mistaken there was another basketball coach last year awarded the PMoF as well as Stan Musial the former HoF Baseball player.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:27 pm 

Audie'sDad wrote:
Bob wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:

Betty:

If I am not mistaken there was another basketball coach last year awarded the PMoF as well as Stan Musial the former HoF Baseball player.

Thanks,

Dave

And what does that have to do with freedom? Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 am 

IIRC, a lot of the sports figures who have received the PMOF have done so for their charity work.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:45 pm 

Christie wrote:
IIRC, a lot of the sports figures who have received the PMOF have done so for their charity work.

Christie:

They have and they do. It seems the PMoF recipients usually are from areas that the President has a personal interest in.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:58 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Dave,

I had seen a list of PMoF awardees but did not realize that was the complete list for 2012. I figured there would be more names added later but it looks like you are saying that Audie would not be chosen unless by special nomination? If Obama gets re-elected what motivation will there be for him being a lame duck president have in choosing Audie in the next 4 years? Wow I had it in my head that there was no way Audie would not be chosen with all these endorsements. By the way even though I have not responded on most of the listings here the past few weeks the number of endorsements and what many of them have said has been nothing short of amazing given who these people are and how long Audie has been gone. You have done tremendous work on this project and I can't believe it will all be for nothing. IMO Audie deserves the PMoF as much as any of the names that have been chosen so far.

Sharon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:08 am 

Hi Folks I think the way Dave has it planned to enter Audie to the list may work in our favor. At least
I hope so, and seeing what Dave has accomplished with this list in just his Spare time is amazing.
I wouldn't count Dave or Audie out just yet. Dave be sure to keep your head down while you are over
there. We want you to come home safe.... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:31 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

I did not realize until I saw on the Internet this afternoon that the Presidential Medal of Freedom was awarded to the following recipients at a White House ceremony today May 29th:

Madeleine Albright-former Secretary of State
John Doar-civil rights leader from the 1960s
Bob Dylan-singer and composer
William Foege-physician and epidemiologist
John Glenn-astronaut and US Senator from Ohio (my home state, he is the real deal believe me)
Gordon Hirabayashi-defied the forced relocation and internment of Japanese Americans during WWII
Dolores Huerta-worked with Cesar Chavez for rights for migrant farm workers
Jan Karski-was an officer in the Polish underground during WWII
Juliette Gordon Low-founder of the Girl Scouts
Toni Morrison-Pulitzer Prize winning novelist
Shimon Peres-President of Israel
John Paul Stevens-retired associate justice of the Supreme Court
Pat Summitt-winningest women's NCAA basketball coach at the University of Tennessee who is now fighting dementia

So this looks to be done and over for 2012. So Dave do you think Audie can get this next year whether it would be Obama or Romney in the White House given the signatures on the petition and both men claiming themselves to be big backers of the military and veterans?

Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:52 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Given the debacle with the Polish people over Obama's use of the term "Polish death camps" instead of Nazi death camps based in Poland, I'll bet Obama wished he had chosen almost anyone other than Jan Karski. Even today Obama was still trying to soothe relations with Poland over the comment on Tuesday and I'll bet Obama wants to put the Presidential Medal of Freedom behind him for good this election year..............

Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:03 am 
Researcher

audiefan53 wrote:
I did not realize until I saw on the Internet this afternoon that the Presidential Medal of Freedom was awarded to the following recipients at a White House ceremony today May 29th:

So this looks to be done and over for 2012. So Dave do you think Audie can get this next year whether it would be Obama or Romney in the White House given the signatures on the petition and both men claiming themselves to be big backers of the military and veterans?

Sharon

Claiming to be a big backer of the military and veterans, and actually being "big backers" are two different things. The vast majority of veterans in this country(according to the latest polls)support Romney. Obama has probably never heard of Audie. Personally, I'd rather take my chances with Romney. Romney would be more impressed with the petitioners names than would Obama. There aren't enough NBA players signing the petition to impress him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 pm 

Bob wrote:
audiefan53 wrote:

Sharon

Claiming to be a big backer of the military and veterans, and actually being "big backers" are two different things. The vast majority of veterans in this country(according to the latest polls)support Romney. Obama has probably never heard of Audie. Personally, I'd rather take my chances with Romney. Romney would be more impressed with the petitioners names than would Obama. There aren't enough NBA players signing the petition to impress him.

All:

Time will indeed tell. I agree with you Bob that the vast majority of vets support Romney or so it appears. That said, Mr. Obama, of whom I hold no great love, has instituted more programs for veterans and veterans health care than any President that I can think of in the last 20 years.
I'm not so sure that it was not simply for political reasons; but the truth is the truth; and that's the way it is, even if I don't like to admit it.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 am 

Hello All,
Dave has in the past asked for my help on the PMOF application forms, reviewing each signature for
accuracy by country, state, and alert him to any derogatory comments or duplicates, which I have been proud to do, not only for Audie's sake, but because I have much respect for Dave Phillips and his endeavor
to see this gets done for Audie. That being said, Dave was or is currently deployed and I truly believe
this latest announcement from the (White House ?) or committee that chooses the PMOF inductees kind of
came out of the blue for Dave. However, Dave has long said when he returns he is going to DC and
submit all of these petitions with the request that Audie be especially recognized not only for his service
in the military, most decorated during WWII, but also for Audie's post war patriotic efforts regarding the
care of our veterans after the war, namely PTSD, not to mention all the great PSA,s for the military, also
savings Bonds, and his charity police work in Texas, Arizona, and Southern California, namely Los Angeles
county. Not to mention the PSA's for childhood diseases such as polio, MDA, and the many visits to
local veteran hospitals visiting the wounded veterans, on his own time, and his own dime. With all of the
distinguished signors of this petition, military giants in their own right and politicians and celebrities, no sitting President in his right mind would turn down this opportunity whether it be Obama or Romney.
Like you Bob, I believe Romney would be more knowledgeable of how impressive the signors are. So
please don't count Audie or Dave out yet. Better late than never. And if Audie's name is submitted
singularity, the better for Audie, as this whole PMOF petition is all about Audie and the recognition he
deserves for all that he did when alive, and not for some politician's political favor. I truly believe that
this web site and the folks who post here are well aware that one of our functions is to keep the
memory of Audie alive down through the ages and to let his legacy shine in the eyes of the world.
I believe that Dave Phillips is trying to do just that. My money is on Dave, like I said don't count him
out just yet. And I just want all of you to know how proud I am to be one of the members of this
web site and to call all of you friends... Just my thoughts, Shirley Jean.