Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Original Audie Stamp
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a new stamp I designed in Photoshop. I am considering making it a new logo image for the website. I am thinking of adding it at the bottom of each page in a smaller version which can be clicked to see a larger version.

Any thoughts?

Attachments:
File comment: Audie Murphy Website Stamp, 800x552, 72 dpi
THaB_stamp_72dpi_800x552.jpg
THaB_stamp_72dpi_800x552.jpg [ 174.93 KiB | Viewed 2959 times ]

Post subject: Re: Original Audie Stamp
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

It sounds like a cool idea, but I can't see the picture :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Christie wrote:
It sounds like a cool idea, but I can't see the picture :(
Ooops. I posted the wrong one and deleted it. You looked while I was reloading the right one. I think I have it up now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:09 am 

Richard, I love the stamp! I think using it as you described would be great. The stamp is beautiful and you should be very pleased with yourself. Thanks for sharing it with us.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:29 am 

I'm with Betty, I think it's a very striking and effective design. The only things I noticed was that the grayscale of the THAB still looks slightly washed out against the bold black and white of the overall design. It might be worth cranking up contrast on the still, just to see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 pm 

Richard,
I like the greying as it is. It's perfect, however, I would change the birth year date from 1924 to
1925. I can't see Murph carrying a driver's license in his wallet that would have an incorrect year
on it. How about honoring him with a correct date for once... Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Shirleyjean wrote:
Richard,
I like the greying as it is. It's perfect, however, I would change the birth year date from 1924 to 1925. I can't see Murph carrying a driver's license in his wallet that would have an incorrect year on it. How about honoring him with a correct date for once... Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.
Shirleyjean: I thought about the birth year, believe me... I personally think you are correct. And I can make the edit VERY easily ... BUT I want a list of references together before I rewrite the year. I will post a thread on this in a minute in the general topics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Shirleyjean wrote:
Richard,
I like the greying as it is. It's perfect, however, I would change the birth year date from 1924 to
1925. I can't see Murph carrying a driver's license in his wallet that would have an incorrect year
on it. How about honoring him with a correct date for once... Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.

Christie ... nice comment and I am impressed with your observation. You must have some experience with photography because I think you are right. I tweaked the contrast a bit and think the image is much cleaner, more pronounced, and in better balance with the rest of the graphic. But for those who prefer the other version (it's a matter of taste) I will leave it posted here on the message board.

Attachments:
File comment: ThabStamp_72dpi_800x542.jpg - Contrast tweaked.
THaBStamp_72dpi_800x552.jpg
THaBStamp_72dpi_800x552.jpg [ 178.96 KiB | Viewed 2929 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

I have placed a preliminary thumbnail and link to the large version of this graphic at the bottom of the main page of the website (http://www.audiemurphy.com/index.htm). I would like to ask you to look at it and let me know if you think it should incorporated on the bottom of every page. It's okay to disagree. Don't tell me what you think I want to hear ... you guys are my unscientific random sampling of the population and your thoughts give me something to think about BEFORE I do something that may otherwise be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
I have placed a preliminary thumbnail and link to the large version of this graphic at the bottom of the main page of the website (http://www.audiemurphy.com/index.htm). I would like to ask you to look at it and let me know if you think it should incorporated on the bottom of every page. It's okay to disagree. Don't tell me what you think I want to hear ... you guys are my unscientific random sampling of the population and your thoughts give me something to think about BEFORE I do something that may otherwise be wrong.

Richard, it looks great at the bottom of the page, but I would like to see it somewhere at the top of the page, like maybe this stamp on one side and the postage stamp on the other. I know when I get on the board I don't always scroll down to the bottom of the main page and I would like to see it every time. Maybe you don't want to change the top from what you have, so this is purely a suggestion. I just think it's so good it should be a main thing on the home page. Just my opinion.
:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Betty wrote:
Richard Rodgers wrote:

Richard, it looks great at the bottom of the page, but I would like to see it somewhere at the top of the page, like maybe this stamp on one side and the postage stamp on the other. I know when I get on the board I don't always scroll down to the bottom of the main page and I would like to see it every time. Maybe you don't want to change the top from what you have, so this is purely a suggestion. I just think it's so good it should be a main thing on the home page. Just my opinion.
:)
I will give your idea some thought Betty. I would like to have it near the top too but I don't want to destroy the heading layout either. But where there is a will, there is a way. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:50 pm 

(Disclaimer, not a photographer or an expert on graphic design, though I dabble a bit in image manipulation and "Poser Art," so take with a grain of salt.)

Thumbs up on the final version, Richard, I think that works nicely. Like Betty, I think it gets lost a bit in the shuffle way down at the bottom of the page, but I'm not thinking of any better alternatives so far. Are you going to have it link to a page that explains the "printing custom stamp" stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Christie wrote:
(Disclaimer, not a photographer or an expert on graphic design, though I dabble a bit in image manipulation and "Poser Art," so take with a grain of salt.)

Thumbs up on the final version, Richard, I think that works nicely. Like Betty, I think it gets lost a bit in the shuffle way down at the bottom of the page, but I'm not thinking of any better alternatives so far. Are you going to have it link to a page that explains the "printing custom stamp" stuff?

Thanks Christie ... regardless of what you think about your digital imaging skills, you were spot-on on the contrast suggestion and I am impressed. As far as where to put the image, I want to be careful. I don't want the tail wagging the dog. I could use it as a link somehow ... but if I get reckless and force something onto the layout it could throw everything off-balance. I don't want to be overly enthusiastic about something that really takes a second seat to all the other content and the effort that went into the website layout and design. But I agree with Betty and you ... it does get lost at the bottom of the page. There is no question about it.

It COULD be that the souvenir stamps would be better off posted in the Collectibles gallery. I only have 9 pages there so far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:28 pm 

The collectibles section seems like a not-bad place for it, Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:11 pm 

Christie wrote:
The collectibles section seems like a not-bad place for it, Richard.

I agree.