Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: HYBRID TEA TIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

I GOT THIS OFF EBAY AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT. ITS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR AND TIN. THIS IS A FRONT AND BACK SHOT.

Attachments:
hybrid tea tin 1.jpg
hybrid tea tin 1.jpg [ 73.42 KiB | Viewed 2875 times ]
hybrid tea tin 2.jpg
hybrid tea tin 2.jpg [ 54.84 KiB | Viewed 2875 times ]

Post subject: Re: HYBRID TEA TIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:46 pm 

I FOUND OUT A LITTLE THAT THE AUDIE MURPHY ROSE WAS A HYBRID TEA ROSE, SO APPARANTLY THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THAT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Nice find Dave! I think the illustration on the lid is one of a rose branch. So I think your guess is correct ... this is most likely a can that carried some kind of root stock of the Audie Murphy Rose. I hope we can get a little more info on the can from someone because I find this interesting. I would like to add the can to the rose page if we can get a little more detail too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:26 pm 

THE DESCRIPTION ON EBAY SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS FROM HIS PERSONAL STOCK OF TEA THAT HE DRANK. I KIND OF LAUGHED AT THAT, BUT DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. JUST THE IDEA OF AUDIE HAVING HIS OWN PERSONAL BRAND OF TEA STRUCK ME AS FUNNY.

I WOULD LOVE TO FIND THE WHOLE CAN, THAT WAS KINDA MY IDEA TOO, BUT AS THE LID HAS SOME RUST ON IT, THE CAN MAY BE TOTALLY RUSTED OUT.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:30 am 

Hi David,
It used to be P.A.F. meant Patent Applied For. Now days it sort of morphed into "Patent Pending".
Also, some where in the Archives of THIS website is the name, address, and phone number of
the Nursery with which to purchase the Audie Murphy Rose from. If they don't know, they would
know who owns the patent, or look it up at the patent office. The way I understand it, a person
has to order the rose in advance, and because it is a hybrid, mixing of two or more rosebud "starts"
together, the variety has to be germinated and grown first to produce an actual plant that can be
shipped out to the customer. I understand the nursery only does this at a certain time of year and
only "germinates" the number of orders on hand. Once that is done, they basically shut down
until the following year, and if they don't have any orders for that variety, then they don't germinate
it. That is what makes it so very rare. There used to be a lady that posted on the board all the
time and I believe she is from England, and would occasionally discuss her Audie Murphy Rose
plants and sometimes supply pictures of them. Also, I know Ruxy in Paradise, California owns one
also. But at least it will give you a clue as to where to go looking and maybe date and type your
memorabilia. The actual Rose, very pretty, is sort of a pinkish coral color, and is a Tea Rose,
which the actual flower part is a smaller flower than a normal size rose. To purchase one is
a bit more pricey than your actual garden variety rose found in your local nursery, and I am not
sure whether or not any guarantee comes with the plant.... Some varieties do have guarantees
with them though.... Hope this helps David.... Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:45 am 

THANKS. I WAS WONDERING WHAT THE PAF STOOD FOR. I KNOW THE ONLY PLACE ONE CAN GET THE PLANT NOW IS AT VINTAGE GRADENS IN CALIFORNIA WITH UP TO A YEAR WAIT. I BOUGHT 4 OF THEM YEARS AGO AND THEY WERE ONLY $13.00 EACH BACK THEN. WHEN THEY ARRIVED I WAS ONLY ABLE TO KEEP ONE OF THEM ALIVE AS 3 DIED THE FIRST MONTH. I ACTUALLY WAS ABLE TO KEEP THE 4TH ONE ALIVE FOR SEVERAL YEARS. IT GREW TO BE TALLER THAN I AM, WHICH IS 6'4'' AND WOULD PUT OUT SOME BEAUTIFUL ROSES, NOT VERY OFTEN, THO. IT FINALLY DIED A COUPLE YEARS AGO IN THE INTENSE HEAT WE HAD ONE SUMMER, NO MATTER HOW MUCH I TRIED TO WATER AND BABY IT ALONG. I'VE HEARD OTHERS HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. MAKES ONE WONDER WHY THEY WOULD HAVE NAMED SUCH A FRAGILE FLOWER AFTER SUCH A TOUGH MAN.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:38 pm 

The hybrid tea roses are what most people visualize when they think of roses, but they're also the most fragile, persnickety kind there is. It's pretty difficult to grow them if it's hotter than they like...or drier than they like...or if it frosts in the winter time.

From that POV, I suppose it's an appropriate symbol for a man who couldn't abide unfamiliar sounds, once snarked at his first wife for choosing the wrong color of china, and could be a remarkably severe food critic when he wasn't starving to death. :lol:

But if I had to pick a rose to name after Audie Murphy, I think I would go with one of those small, prickly, tough "wild rose" varieties.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:19 am 

Hi David, I think when Ruxy purchased her A.M. Rose if memory serves me right it was in the
$40.00 range plus shipping. And you are right, A lot of folks that purchased this particular hybrid
had a devil of the time keeping it alive. I only wished I could have purchased one. Maybe someday
Ruxy can give me a start off of her plant. I have several different Rose bushes around my yard,
both front and back. Some of them are Hybrid Tea Varieties. But by far the best one I have ever
liked and has been very sturdy through thick and thin is my Yellow Rose bush. That bush has
grown almost to my roof line, and every couple of years I really have to trim it way back. And the
yellow roses are just gorgeous. Vintage Gardens should at least be able to date your item, and
that way you will at least know how old the tin is. Take Care David, Stay Safe... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:10 am 
Site Admin

I am going to take a leap of logic here. Those lids were designed to be pressed around a cardboard canister. Maybe it was sort of a mailing tube. I'm led to think that by the way the edge seems to be rolled and open ... sort of like it was designed to grab the body of some kind of thick material. Maybe that's why the tube is also gone ... it deteriorated over the years. Who knows, Dave, what do you think?

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:59 am 

THAT SEEMS TO BE ABOUT THE BEST EXPLANATION I'VE HEARD SO FAR. I'LL GO WITH THAT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:15 pm 
Trusted Scholar

I've purchased the AM rose twice now. The first time, I managed to keep it alive for about a year and the next time which was 2010, I purchased 2 and both died in a few months. I think I paid about $35 or $36 per bush. Not cheap by any means. I was really disappointed when this 2nd effort died. I LOVE that color!

***Teri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:24 am 

Teri, You are so right, it is the most unusual color of coral pink I have ever seen on a flower.
And don't fret to much about it's quick demise.... I understand that a Hybrid in any flower are the
most persnickety to sustain in any soil, even good old fashion Texas plantation cotton sod...
Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:05 pm 

THIS WAS ONE OF MINE BEFORE I REPLANTED IT.

Attachments:
ROSE 2.jpg
ROSE 2.jpg [ 143.17 KiB | Viewed 2642 times ]