Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:12 pm 
Researcher

I just clicked the link with the story about Pamela serving as a liason for Sepuveda Veterans Hospital. The link it took me to had a comment section. A man wrote a comment on the board about Audie being an alcoholic. We know it wasn't an alcoholic and didn't even touch alcohol because of his "trick stomach." Whenever I see comments about Audie that are untrue, I try to do something about it. I tried to post a comment but I don't have access to google. Could someone please check this out and post a comment what the man said wasn't true and explain why. Thank you!

Georgana

P.S. You'll find the link in one of Tom's comments.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm 
Researcher

The page I was referring to is: palomar.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 am 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

GEORGANA, I HOPE SOMEONE WILL GO TO THAT SITE AND TELL THEM AUDIE DIDN'T EVEN DRINK. I WOULD BUT I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO GOOGLE EITHER. TAKE CARE. BETTY LOU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:00 am 
Researcher

Dave, I am aware Pam was any employee at the VA hospital. The reason I mentioned the misinformation about Audie was because I was hoping someone with access to Google could post a comment letting readers know that not only was Audie not an alcoholic, Audie never drank. Someone posted a comment that Audie was an alcoholic. That isn't true.

Take care,

Georgana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 am 
Serious Researcher

From what I understand, the misinformation that has been rampant about Audie Murphy was the main reason Terry wanted to write his book, and tell the true story. Some of the current biographies have included bits of that misinformation as fact. It's the main reason that I took Richard's advice and contacted Larryann Willis at the AMRF as I was beginning to write my book. I didn't want to include anything that the AMRF didn't verify. I kept in touch with her, and she helped me to see what was valid information and what was not. She and Terry were the first people to read the finished product. I would not have attempted publication if they had asked me not to do so. I don't know if Terry still plans to finish the book or not. As Larryann once reminded me, Terry and James, saw this man as their father. AS she said, "To them, he was just 'Dad'." Writing that book would have to be difficult from that standpoint.

We have to be very careful, and not believe everything we read. While I was researching, I would ask myself this question: Is this action or circumstance something that a man of such honor and courage as Audie Murphy would be involved in?

He was a human being, and so, not perfect. He did things his own way, and sometimes we misinterpret his actions, not understanding or knowing the whole story.

But above all Audie Murphy was a man of integrity, whose sense of personal responsibility guided his choices.

Until and unless we get the whole story from Terry or someone else who knew the truth of it, we need to remember and focus on what we do know about this man we so honor.

Just me.

Ann

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:14 pm 
Frequent User

Hello,

I went to google and typed in the website palomar.blogspot.com. I didn't see any mention of Audie drinking. There was a part in there I DID NOT like however about Audie being in debt, gambling, women and being an adulterer. He wasn't perfect, he was only human, like us all.

Terry if you're reading the message board. Would you PLEASE write a book about your dad and let everyone know the TRUTH about him. I am SO DISGUSTED with all the lies I read.

cheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:34 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi Folks,
I have been following the boards and recent discussions concerning Audie. About his life, did he, or
didn't he do this, that or the other. I am no expert, but the several books I have read, with the exception of NNOTB,by Don Graham, and a couple of Hollywood Scandal Books, have been very honorable and as truthful as they could have been under the circumstances about Audie. All of the
books were written after Audie's demise. Everyone that was interviewed from friend and foe alike
appeared to have been honorable to Audie's memory. As far as being an "Alcoholic" is concerned,
someone can OCCASIONALLY consume alcohol without being an "alcoholic". Just as they can
OCCASIONALLY bet on a horse, or a lottery ticket without being an OUT OF CONTOL gambler.
The only perfect man ever to grace this earth I am told, went by the name of Jesus. Goes for women
also. Should have said only perfect PERSON. I was upset with the McCarthy article in the Los Angeles
Times because, firstly, there were several inaccuracies, and secondly, in Cannonizing Pamela, the
reporter did the Murphy Family a grave injustice, in that they Demonized Audie, calling him a Gambler, and Adulterer, and a deserter of his family. NONE of which was True. WE all have read that Audie was on Placidyl at certain times in his life in order to help him sleep and ease the week long headaches and upset stomach he was plagued with. At times and under certain conditions,
Placidyl will make a person appear drunk. Therefore, that I suggest is how the 'RUMOR' got started that Audie was an "Alcoholic". All of us on this board know this, and I think it is up to us,
and partly the AMRF to set the record straight. Where is Larry Anne when things like this occur.
Can she not speak up and set the record straight. Or for that matter Terry or Skipper. I know if
someone had called my father a gambler, adulterer, or deserter long after he had died, I for one
would be right in his face about it and demanding an appology be written in print in the L.A. Times . Sorry, but that is just how I feel. AS to the inaccuracies in the L.A. Times, they had Pamela's age wrong. They claimed she was 90, when she was born in October of 1923, making her only 86, and would turn 87 this October had she still been alive. Also claiming Audie had deserted
his family. Last I knew he still used the Toluca Road as his address, therefore, IN MY OPINION, he
was neither ESTRANGED from the family, nor Deserted from it, He was on a verifiable Business Trip
trying to earn money for the WELFARE OF HIS FAMILY, when the unfortunate happened. I truly believe there is still now, and always have been a certain group of folks who were jealous of Audie
and what he was trying to do. Which I believe was really a very few things. One, live his own life
IN PEACE and provide for the welfare of his family. TWO, Get the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT and the military to live up to their promises made to the veterans who defend our country, with
better health care, and better living conditions, and a better education for those in the military who want it, and three, to the SUITS and PHONIES in Hollywood, to play fair with all the folks in
that industry, not just a chosen few. I never knew or met Audie in person, but I feel, I have a strong sense of what he was all about. I think it is time his fans, his remaining family, and the AMRF to step up to the plate and defend Audie's honor. That's what the statement of purpose
says on this web site anyway, and I will bet a dollar to a donut if Audie were still alive, he would
be first in line DEMANDING an APPOLOGY from MCCarthy. Just my opinion folks.
Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:37 am 
Serious Researcher

Hey, Shirley Jean. I understand how you feel about the misinformation. As you said, most of the bios on Murphy generally treated him with honor, especially when covering his war years. Once he got to Hollywood, things became less clear. Even Col. Simpson made some errors. That was easy to do, because once one becomes a celebrity, they become available to the tabloids. Just think, even today, how one cannot buy groceries without seeing sensational headlines, most of which are not true, about well-known personalities from every walk of fame.

Larryann did a great job of keeping us informed as long as she could. Some years ago, her husband took a new job in a remote area, and she no longer has easy access to the internet. Terry and James have always preferred to keep a low profile, which, I think, is understandable.

In the meantime, we have an opportunity here, when we come across one of those rumors, to dispute it, as Georgana did about this ridiculous alcoholism claim.

Ann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 pm 
Researcher

Ann and Shirleyjean, Thank you for your input. Defending Audie's reputation is exactly what I am trying to do. I know Audie wasn't perfect but some of the things I have seen that people have written about him is stupid and offensive. If I am able to, I try to contact those people and let them know what they said if false.

Georgana :P :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:29 pm 

To all the wonderful folks on this board, I appoligize if I came across pretty strong on my defense of
Audie. It just REALLY REALLY ticks me off. And in retrospect maybe I should be posting these
diatribes out there where they will do the most good and not amongst friends. It just takes this Italian female a little while to get her own head on straight and realize she is on the right road, just stopped at the wrong house so to speak. Also, I do not know what I am doing wrong but this is the
second or third time when I have hit the "submit" button, what I have posted has come up twice on
the board. MAY be a slow browser on my part? Or even a sticky key on my keyboard? Can't figure it out. Thanks for your patience all. Just me. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:37 pm 
Researcher

Shirleyjean: I understand. I get the same way some days.

Take care,

Georgana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:56 pm 

Shirleyjean wrote:
To all the wonderful folks on this board, I appoligize if I came across pretty strong on my defense of
Audie. It just REALLY REALLY ticks me off. And in retrospect maybe I should be posting these
diatribes out there where they will do the most good and not amongst friends. It just takes this Italian female a little while to get her own head on straight and realize she is on the right road, just stopped at the wrong house so to speak. Also, I do not know what I am doing wrong but this is the
second or third time when I have hit the "submit" button, what I have posted has come up twice on
the board. MAY be a slow browser on my part? Or even a sticky key on my keyboard? Can't figure it out. Thanks for your patience all. Just me. Shirley Jean.

Shirleyjean, A few years back on TCM they were playing one of Audie's movies (I can't remember which one). Ben Mankiewicz made the statement that Audie was an Alcoholic and my jaw dropped. It really upset me because new fans who aren't as informed about Audie as his old fans are could think it was true. Several of us wrote to TCM and politely expressed our opposition to what Ben had said and why. We explained that was not the case and we didn't want new fans to think it was true. The next time they showed an Audie movie Ben actually apologized for what he said, saying that Audie's fans let him know how upset we were about him saying Audie was an Alcoholic and it was not true. I kept that apology on DVD. I thought it was very big of him to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 pm 

Hi Folks,
I would have loved to have seen Ben's apology on nationwide TV. Great work Betty. I think all of us
should send an e mail to Mc Carthy's column in the L.A. Times and tell him to get his facts straight
regarding Audie. I saved his written column piece on Pamela on my desk top and if I can find an
e mail address for him I plan to send him an e mail letting him know what an injustice he did to
not only Audie but the whole Murphy Family. Take care all. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:34 pm 
Frequent User

I want to inform all members, and especially Audie Murphy's family,if any of these flaws are found to be true,I have lost no respect for my hero Audie.
He went through so much mental hell in the war, and then that awful postwar trauma he couldn't escape from in civilian life. And I am sure ,especially, if he was an alcoholic,like many,many war vets ,plus, numerous Hollywood stars, even as leather tough as he was,you would think he certainly would be a most likely candidate for that disease.

I assume Terry Murphy will write his biography someday ,and will shed a candid light on the true Audie Murphy,the courageous hero ,and also,the suffering hero.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:59 am 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

I'VE BEEN READING THE AUDIE MURPHY RESEARCH FOUNDATION NEWS LETTERS ON THIS SITE. IN VOLUME 2 JAY FISHBURN WHO WORK AS A JOCKEY RIDING AUDIE'S HORSES SAID HIM AND AUDIE HAD BEEN REAL CLOSE FOR OVER 15 YEARS AND THE ONLY THING HE EVER SEEN AUDIE DRINK WAS A GLASS OF WINE BEFORE DINNER, MAYBE, IN A RESTAURANT. THE DATE IS JULY 1997. IN VOLUME 5, 1998 THEY DID AN INTERVIEW WITH JACK ELAM THE ACTOR AND HE SAID AUDIE DIDN'T DRINK BUT HE LOVED TO GAMBLE. THE NEWS LETTERS ARE A VERY GOOD WAY TO GET TO KNOW AUDIE BECAUSE IT HAS A LOT OF INTERVIEWS FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE. THEY ALSO HAVE A LOT OF INFO FROM AUDIE HIMSELF. TAKE CARE. BETTY LOU

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next