Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:16 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi Everyone:

I promised a couple of weeks ago to try and contact Lieutenant Colonel Anthony B. Herbert, the "most decorated" soldier of the Korean War and whom signed the petition and mentioned a friendship with Audie "culminating in Atlanta in late May of1971."
I had mentioned in my post that I found that statement interesting and would try and get clarification.

Well, I succeeded!
I spoke to Colonel Herbert about 2 weeks ago. I had sent him a thank you note and asked in the note if he would clarify his statement either by phone or mail and sure enough about three days later when my wife and I came home from dinner, there was a very long and nice message from the Colonel on my answering machine giving some clarification and asking me to return his call on his unlisted number, which he provided.

I called him back and we had an almost two hour conversation spanning a variety of subjects. He is a very interesting man who has had a very interesting life. In any case, that part which pertains to Audie I will recall here.

Colonel Herbert stated that he and Audie had first met on the set of "World In My Corner" and that he met Chico Vejar and others. He also stated that he went to dinner with Audie and Dorothy Manners, and Spec McClure when he was in Hollywood. He stated that he and Audie got along great and that they had mutual respect. He said they kept in touch loosely over the years. He also stated that he never met Pam or the children.

He did meet Audie the night before the crash at his home in Atlanta. At that point Herbert was teaching ROTC at the University of Georgia and had already announced his retirment fromthe Army. He was getting a lot of "flak" (hard time) as he had made accusations about American atrocities in Vietnam during his time there (he was later vindicated by history.)
He said that Morris Brown (ACLU) and Charlie Morgan (an Atlanta businessman) who had close ties to the Republican National Committee, brought Audie and Herman Butler (yes, the pilot) over to his home that night. Audie had called in advance to meet but didn't know the way to Herbert's home, so they delivered him.
Brown and Morgan didn't stay but a couple of minutes and left and he and Audie went out to Herbert's pool and had a drink or two. I meant to ask Herbert what Audie had to drink, but forgot. I'll ask that next time we talk.

During the pool talk, Audie was no different than he had ever been, didn't seem to be worried or have anything more than normal on his mind. He did say Audie asked; "You're from Pennsylvania right" to which Herbert responsed "Yes" and then Audie said "Well, your Dad was a coal miner, so what do you think about Unions."
Colonel Herbert said he thought he responded, "I'm not into politics, so that subject doesn't interest me and I haven't really kept up on it."
He said for the rest of the time Audie was there that night, it was just casual conversation. Before Audie left he told Herbert, "When I get back this way next week, I'll look into your problem and see if I can help out" (referring to Herbert's problem with the Army) to which Herbert said he responded, "I can handle my own problems, you've got enough of your own to worry about" (referring to Gofstein and Audie's finances).

Herbert said he found "nothing" out of the ordinary with Audie that night. He did say that a couple of days later, Peter Conway, a heavy-hitter from Colorado who at one time was friends with Wally Shirra the astronaut and who designed an area in the Denver, Colorado area called "Cinderella City", called and asked if Herman Butler had "had anything to drink that night as he was known to be a hard drinker" and Herbert said he told him "No, not when he was at my home, just Audie and I did."
Peter Conway was affiliated with Colorado Avaiation.

Herbert and I spoke for about two hours on a wide ranging list of subjects and I found him 100% credible, forthright, and honest. In my opinion he withheld nothing (he said I could ask anything) and said I was the first person since that time to whom he had ever related Audie's visit that night and his reflections on it.

Colonel Herbert shared with me many of his personal opinions on people he served with, cases he worked on, and even the Jon-Benet Ramsey case, which he was very familier with, as he worked with the Denver and Boulder Police Departments during that time period.
For the record, he was not an investigator etc on the case, and the thoughts he shared with me with strictly his personal opinions.
Those details though, I will not disclose, as I did not ask his permision to do so and therefore I must refrain from doing so, out of respect for him and our conversation.

Oh, in closing, Colonel Herbert became a forensic psychologist after his Army career and worked in that capacity for about 20 plus years. Granted forty (40) years since Audie's passing is a long time, but I think if something had been amiss with Audie that evening, I think Herbert would have picked up on it as he reflected on that meeting so many years before.

So, we know know for certain another irony of Audie's death in that the "most decorated soldier" of the Korean War had drinks with the "most decorated soldier" of World War Two, the night before Audie's passing.
Such a strange irony!
Hope you all found this interesting. Sorry there weren't more details. I even asked Herbert how Audie was dressed that night, and he laughed and said "hell, that was 40 plus years ago, I don't even remember what I was wearing yesterday." =))
lol!

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

Last edited by Audie'sDad on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 pm 

Wow, that's an amazing summary of Murphy's last evening on earth. Absolutely fascinating!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 pm 
Trusted Scholar

Wow, Dave.....what an incredible conversation with Col. Herbert. Thanks so much for getting in touch with him and asking "the questions" we all are wanting answered.

I just get so sad when I think about him dying so young and in the way he did....so tragic!

***Teri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:36 am 

Hi Dave, glad to hear you are home safely from deployment. What a story. It really does sound like
Audie, especially the way he compartmentalized his friends and acquaintances. Very telling when the
gentlemen said he had never met Audie's family. Also, very much like Audie when he volunteered to
try and help the gentlemen regarding the military. It was also very telling when Audie asked the
gentleman's opinion regarding Union's. I get the impression that Audie really respected the man's
opinion and just wanted his opinion regarding Union tactics. As far as drinks out by the pool, I have
always felt that Audie would occasionally have a glass of wine or even a light highball but that is as far
as it went. I don't believe Audie was a teetotaler as he was thought to be. But again he very rarely
indulged in alcoholic drinks. Again Great Story, and I hope the gentleman can enlighten you more
regarding his encounters with Audie. Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:12 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Dave,

What a write-up you did here. Thanks so much for putting down in words what so many of us have wondered about his last night on this Earth. Like Teri said, it is still tragically sad that he died so young and in such a horrible way but it is good to know that he enjoyed that last night before the plane crash and that he had no premonition of the devastation that was to come. I am very impressed with how Col Herbert so openly shared his recollections of Audie with you and how sharp his memory was of their meetings. I do hope you will be able to have more conversations with Col Herbert in the future and of course will let us know what he says.........LOL!!

Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:18 pm 

audiefan53 wrote:
Dave,

What a write-up you did here. Thanks so much for putting down in words what so many of us have wondered about his last night on this Earth. Like Teri said, it is still tragically sad that he died so young and in such a horrible way but it is good to know that he enjoyed that last night before the plane crash and that he had no premonition of the devastation that was to come. I am very impressed with how Col Herbert so openly shared his recollections of Audie with you and how sharp his memory was of their meetings. I do hope you will be able to have more conversations with Col Herbert in the future and of course will let us know what he says.........LOL!!

Sharon

Sharon and All:

Glad to have been able to share this recollection with you. So many events pertaining to Audie have been lost to time. What I found amazing is that this "story" had never been heard before. I was just amazed that no researcher, writer etc had ever asked about Herbert about Murph.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Finding Herbert and getting his endorsement for the PMoF was a major coup that was tough to beat. But you managed to do just that. To also find the last guy who spent the evening with Audie the night before Audie's death is amazing. This is something Simpson and all the other historians didn't even come close to achieving. And on top of that, I don't think the FAA accident investigating team ever located the individual (Herbert) Audie spent the evening with either. I seem to remember that the FAA was never able to figure this out.

A milestone, Dave. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 pm 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Finding Herbert and getting his endorsement for the PMoF was a major coup that was tough to beat. But you managed to do just that. To also find the last guy who spent the evening with Audie the night before Audie's death is amazing. This is something Simpson and all the other historians didn't even come close to achieving. And on top of that, I don't think the FAA accident investigating team ever located the individual (Herbert) Audie spent the evening with either. I seem to remember that the FAA was never able to figure this out.

A milestone, Dave. Congratulations!

Richard:

Thanks and you are correct. Herbert told me that he was never contacted by the NTSB/FAA with respect to Audie. So, as he did recount I am the only person (outside surely of wife and kids) that he had ever really told the story to since 1971.
He is quite a guy and I am really pleased to have him endorse the campaign as well.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm 
Frequent User

Thank you Dave for sharing this wonderful story about Audie. We always appreciate stories about Audie, especially so when its something no one has heard before.