Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:23 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Well, My book is relatively finished. I say relatively, as I am finished with the body of it, but was told by the publisher that my pictures need to be B & W, except for the cover, so need to go thru and turn the color ones into B & W and then put the pictures where I want them. I should be done in a bout a week. Still waiting on Jan Merlin to send me his favorite picture of him and Audie. He said he is looking for it.

I have 4 forewords in the book: Michael Dante, Sue Gossett, Jan Merlin, and Nadine Murphy Lokey, Audie's sister.

Don't know how it worked out that way, but the total number of co-stars in this book is exactly 600. Started out around 576, but kept finding good pics of un-credited folks, so had to make sure and get them in there. Total number of pictures is 545. Over 300 of those pics have the co-star with Audie.

Will be glad to be finished, as its a lot of work, but its also been a lot of fun. Can't wait to get it in book form! Hopefully it will be in book form by October, maybe sooner.

Thanks to all those who helped with pictures, information, and identifying folks.

Post subject: Re: My Book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:23 pm 
Researcher

Can't wait to buy it David. Knowing you, and how dedicated you are, I know it will be a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:04 pm 

Yay! Congrats, David!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 pm 

david williams wrote:
Well, My book is relatively finished. I say relatively, as I am finished with the body of it, but was told by the publisher that my pictures need to be B & W, except for the cover, so need to go thru and turn the color ones into B & W and then put the pictures where I want them. I should be done in a bout a week. Still waiting on Jan Merlin to send me his favorite picture of him and Audie. He said he is looking for it.

I have 4 forewords in the book: Michael Dante, Sue Gossett, Jan Merlin, and Nadine Murphy Lokey, Audie's sister.

Don't know how it worked out that way, but the total number of co-stars in this book is exactly 600. Started out around 576, but kept finding good pics of un-credited folks, so had to make sure and get them in there. Total number of pictures is 545. Over 300 of those pics have the co-star with Audie.

Will be glad to be finished, as its a lot of work, but its also been a lot of fun. Can't wait to get it in book form! Hopefully it will be in book form by October, maybe sooner.

Thanks to all those who helped with pictures, information, and identifying folks.

Can't wait to read the book David. Hope it is a real success for you. It will surely be different from any other book on Audie. Well done :-bd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:11 pm 
Trusted Scholar

So excited for you David! I'm glad that you're almost finished as I'm very anxious to see it! Hope it's out by October as you want. Can't wait to buy my copy and read it! And all those pix with Audie's co-stars ought to be GREAT! As Bob said, knowing you and how dedicated you are to Audie's memory, I KNOW it's going to be AWESOME......like Audie!

***Teri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 pm 

Wow!. Thanks for all the nice comments. I hope it lives up to its praise. The publishers are really nice, and I just happen to meet one of my publishers at the film festivals and we got some details worked out. we have been emailing back and forth, and communication is the key, so it should be really nice. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:25 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

David,

Congratulations and hope your book is a big success. I will look forward to buying a copy in October. Heaven knows we need more books that take a positive spin on Audie rather than the way too many that are filled with negative comments and connatations. I am also looking forward to all the pictures that will be in the book. He certainly was one of the most photogenic people in his heyday of the 1950s. I agree with Teri that this should be awesome to own and experience.

Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:49 pm 

Thanks. I tried not to put anything negative in the book, about Audie or the co-stars. And there was a lot of negative stuff out there to put in, but I just didn't want that kind of book. One co-star in particular , and I won't mention a name, that the only information I cold find was negative (and a lot of it), so that person didn't get much coverage in my book.

Lots of tragic ways some of them died, also. I tried not to get too in depth on that, But some were so unusual to make it memorable.

I have a trivia page also in there. The publisher said they may put some of those questions on the back of the book, because something like that helps sell a book.

I think there is about 35 questions that start out 'Which Co-Star....?' and then I have something like

'Sold pineapples in Guatamaula?' or
'Made toy animals and pillows during the depression?' or
'Worked as an animator at Disney Studios on such classics as Fantasia and Bambi?'

My wife said that page is her favorite page in the whole book. She also asked me where I was putting the answers and I told her 'I'm Not. They have to read the book'. :lol:

I think it will be very informative, as I learned a lot just doing it, and it will also be a fun book. I hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:11 pm 
Frequent User

david williams wrote:
Thanks. I tried not to put anything negative in the book, about Audie or the co-stars. And there was a lot of negative stuff out there to put in, but I just didn't want that kind of book. One co-star in particular , and I won't mention a name, that the only information I cold find was negative (and a lot of it), so that person didn't get much coverage in my book.

Lots of tragic ways some of them died, also. I tried not to get too in depth on that, But some were so unusual to make it memorable.

I have a trivia page also in there. The publisher said they may put some of those questions on the back of the book, because something like that helps sell a book.

I think there is about 35 questions that start out 'Which Co-Star....?' and then I have something like

'Sold pineapples in Guatamaula?' or
'Made toy animals and pillows during the depression?' or
'Worked as an animator at Disney Studios on such classics as Fantasia and Bambi?'

My wife said that page is her favorite page in the whole book. She also asked me where I was putting the answers and I told her 'I'm Not. They have to read the book'. :lol:

I think it will be very informative, as I learned a lot just doing it, and it will also be a fun book. I hope.

I love trivia stuff so now I'm looking forward to reading it even more. Congratulations David!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:41 am 
Frequent User

David,

Where may I buy your book? Anxiously waiting...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 am 

The publisher has a site bearmanormedia.com that sells books and was told it will be on amazon, too. Not sure where else right now. Will have to check myself. I will end up getting a bunch and selling them, too, with autographs, of course. Will have to practice a 'legible' signature. Everybody says I missed my calling as a doctor, the way I write. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:07 am 

David,
Your book sounds like it will be a great book on a great person !!!! I am so very excited for it to come
out, as I have not seen any good books lately on Audie. I so very much want one. I will be glad to buy it
from you as I want mine autographed by you. That will make it even more special to me. Please keep
me posted as to when it will hit the book stores, and like I said, I would rather purchase from you
privately as I want it autographed. Take care David and good luck with the book. I just know it will be
great because of the respect you have for Audie... Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 am 
Novice Member

Hi I to would like an autographed copy of your book when it comes out if that is possible as I live in Scotland. donnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:17 pm 

I am sure we can get one to you, Donnie. No problem.

I just hope everybody isn't dissapointed in the outcome. I hope I'm not dissapointed in the outcome :lol:

Not sure how much it will cost. The publishers normal books run 200 pages on average, with a cost of $19.95 to 24.95. They said the bigger it is, the more it will cost. Well, this book should be over 400 pages. I am thinking it will be $30.00 to $35.00. hope its not more than that. It also cost more to have more pictures. There normal book is no more than 125 pictures. Mine will have over 500.

Sorry. I couldn't do it half way. I wanted to do it right the first time. I guess I could have done two volumes, but in the long run, it would have cost everybody even more.

The way it works with this publisher is it doesn't cost me any money up front, but I have to purchase the books from them and then when I sell them, that is how I get my money back. Which is great, because I don't have to have any money down front, but the trick will be to come up with the money to purchase them from the publisher to sell.

I guess it will work out however the Good Lord wants it to work out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:08 pm 

Well, Its done! I have sent it off to the publisher. They didn't want the pictures yet. That will come later. Not sure how many there will be. I will send them directly to the typesetter. I was gonna wait and send it off on the 20th, for Audie's birthday, but I couldn't wait. Sorry Audie, please forgive me! :wink: