Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:44 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Larry Winters sent me this to put on here. This will be a new billboard going to the museum that should be up for Audie Days next month.

Attachments:
guns guts and glory 1j.jpg
guns guts and glory 1j.jpg [ 200.18 KiB | Viewed 1199 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:27 pm 
Researcher

I personally wish they had put a picture of Audie on the billboard where on could see what he looked like, rather than that picture. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

I would agree with Bob that the billboard is interesting and eye catching but why would you advertise the Audie Murphy museum and there is no photo of Audie anywhere on the billboard? That really does not make sense to me. Who came up with this concept for the billboard?

Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:34 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Putting a photo on a billboard is not a simple effort. The photo on the billboard is the property of the museum. Other photos that were considered cost up to hundreds of dollars just for the rights to used the photo. Our goal was to show that our museum honors all military soldiers and not just Audie Murphy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Larry Winters wrote:
Putting a photo on a billboard is not a simple effort. The photo on the billboard is the property of the museum. Other photos that were considered cost up to hundreds of dollars just for the rights to used the photo. Our goal was to show that our museum honors all military soldiers and not just Audie Murphy.

That sounds reasonable, Larry; and I think the result is very eyecatching.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:23 pm 
Researcher

Larry Winters wrote:

That may be true, and certainly noble honoring all military soldiers, which I certainly support, but that is in Greenville, TX and Audie Murphy is the drawing card. Why would it cost anything to use a picture of Audie on a billboard advertising the museum named for him? Surely his family wouldn't charge you for using his picture on the billboard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:53 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Bob,

I certainly agree with you. I think we all support all soldiers who fought in our wars but it is not the American Veterans museum but the Audie Murphy/Cotton museum so there must have been some photo of Audie preferably in his military uniform that could have been used to promote the museum named for him. I don't think other veterans would be offended by a picture of Audie on a billboard promoting the museum named for him and containing the story of his life inside the museum. I'm just curious as to who would charge hundreds of dollars to allow Audie's picture to be on a billboard?

Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:39 am 
Site Admin

The problem is that the movie studios, professional movie studio freelance photographers, and news media pretty much own the copyrights to most of the original photos which are suitable for printing. When someone uses a photo for commercial purposes, a copyright owner can get upset if it is without permission or payment for a license has been made.

In this case, my guess is that it was felt safer (and less expensive) by the museum to go with a royalty free shot since their pockets aren't very deep.

Personally, I like the billboard. I think it is eye-catching and if you have driven I-30 over the years, freshening up the sign every so-often is a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:07 pm 
Devoted & Reliable Fan

Thanks, Roger

You are so right, the museum's purse strings are very tight. It cost over $3000 just to post the billboard for six months.