Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Audie as bully
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:36 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Some years ago, Mike O'Malley was involved in a redneck-themed comedy called My Name Is Earl. Currently I lean towards thinking that he chose the name for some kind of irony: Murph is a red-state/working class icon, and here's a kid, who is probably from that background but who likely sees himself as being more sophisticated than that, who has been given this name.

I think people's concerns are understandable, but I am somewhat skeptical of the show's ability to get off the ground-it has a really dorky, unmemorable title, IMDB lists it as a TV movie, and as Dave's research indicates, it's been a work in progress for a rather long time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:58 am 
Site Admin

I received a reply from Larryann about this pilot. Here is what she says ...
Quote:
While it is tasteless to use Audie's name in a site com I do not believe there is any legal way to stop it. Names cannot be copyrighted. Names would be under the "fair use" laws. If somebody was trying to pass themselves off as the REAL Audie Murphy for financial gain, there might be a case...BUT there is absolutely NO chance anyone would think this guy is the real Audie Murphy.

The only way I see to stop it is for a lot of people to contact them condemning their use of Audie's name. Public opinion might have some impact. On the other hand, the more attention you draw to it, the more people will watch it so a public campaign could backfire.

I'm sure Terry will want to ignore it. I just don't see the show going very far.

We sure appreciate your letting us know.

Larryann

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Thank you for sharing, Richard! I lean towards the "don't give them more publicity than they deserve" school of thought, myself. It's one thing for Dave to write in with his concerns, on letterhead that makes it clear this is in the context of a petition to get Murph awarded the PMOF; I think that might make them want to address his concerns. But a bunch of people writing in is as likely to make them go "cha-ching! Instant controversy, instant ratings!" as anything else. Just my opinion of course.

Richard Rodgers wrote:
I received a reply from Larryann about this pilot. Here is what she says ...
Quote:
While it is tasteless to use Audie's name in a site com I do not believe there is any legal way to stop it. Names cannot be copyrighted. Names would be under the "fair use" laws. If somebody was trying to pass themselves off as the REAL Audie Murphy for financial gain, there might be a case...BUT there is absolutely NO chance anyone would think this guy is the real Audie Murphy.

The only way I see to stop it is for a lot of people to contact them condemning their use of Audie's name. Public opinion might have some impact. On the other hand, the more attention you draw to it, the more people will watch it so a public campaign could backfire.

I'm sure Terry will want to ignore it. I just don't see the show going very far.

We sure appreciate your letting us know.

Larryann