Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who is this guy?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:01 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

This is from The Gun Runners, but it must have been a deleted scene and he is not actually in it. I need a name.

Attachments:
unknown 4 gunrunners.jpg
unknown 4 gunrunners.jpg [ 50.68 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]

Post subject: Re: Who is this guy?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:22 pm 

ok, no takers on that guy. How about this lady from Ride a Crooked Trail? I know she is uncredited, so her name is not in the movies credits. Surely someone recognizes her from something else.

Attachments:
unknown ract.jpg
unknown ract.jpg [ 188.98 KiB | Viewed 774 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 pm 

David: On the second image, I'm pretty sure that's the character "Little Brandy"-IMDB credits her as being played by an actress named Joanna Moore. I've seen the first pic before, and always assumed the cop was an actual cop, maybe some buddy of Murphy's visiting the set, rather than an actor. Whoever he is, he seems knowledgable about guns and comfortable discussing them with someone like Murphy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

David,

Christie is correct that the woman is Joanna Moore who was the mother of Tatum and Griffin O'Neal. The man with Audie in The Gun Runners is a long time character actor who did TV from the 1950s to the 1990s and I know he did one or two Bonanza episodes and his first name I think is Barney but I can't remember his last name. I have all the Bonanza episodes on DVD from the first 6 seasons and if I see him his name will be in the credits of that episode and then I will let you know when I come up with the name. But I recognized him immediately but unfortunately I am better with faces than names.

Sharon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 am 

Thanks about Joanna Moore. And I recognized the guy too, but don't know to put a face to him.Kind of looks like Barney phillips, but don't think its actually him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:56 pm 

Hah! I found David's Gun-Runners pic:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=K6 ... rphy&hl=en

scroll up to the part highlighted in yellow. Basically, they were using live ammo during the shoot, and actors are required to get special gun training if they use a gun loaded with live ammo during a movie filming. So Deputy Sheriff Ed Brawn gets to teach guns to...someone who knows alot about guns. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm 

WOW, that is an awesome find! That clears that up. He was basically a 'technical advisor' and not an actor or extra. That's what i needed to know. Thank you very much, Detective Christie!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

David,

Oh my gosh, that is exactly who I thought it was Barney Phillips and now we find out it is not Barney Phillips but a cop who is a lookalike. That is freaky that this cop ends up looking like a character actor at that time. Yes it would be strange to be teaching anything about guns to Audie Murphy. I'm sure it must have been a highlight of that policeman's career or maybe that is just me.......LOL!! Thanks Christie for finding out who he was and I guess who he was not!!

Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 am 

audiefan53 wrote:
David,

Oh my gosh, that is exactly who I thought it was Barney Phillips and now we find out it is not Barney Phillips but a cop who is a lookalike. That is freaky that this cop ends up looking like a character actor at that time. Yes it would be strange to be teaching anything about guns to Audie Murphy. I'm sure it must have been a highlight of that policeman's career or maybe that is just me.......LOL!! Thanks Christie for finding out who he was and I guess who he was not!!

Sharon

The weird thing was, I wasn't looking for David's pic, I read your post about it, and thought, "yeah, Sharon's probably right, he does have that character actor look...I'm not going to look into it it any further...but I might do a google news search on Murph's name and the Gun-Runners shooting location, just to see if he got up to anything while filming." And then I found David's pic almost immediately. There's a chance that it is some actor from a deleted scene, and the newspaper just published it out of laziness with the news item about Murph studying gun safety with a local policeman, but if that is in fact the actual cop he sure looks like he ought to be playing cops and blue-collar types in the movies!

As for Murphy and gun safety, I think it's fair to call him an expert on guns, and fair to say that he tended to give other people a hard time when they did unsafe things with guns. But he was not faultless about gun safety himself; I think he had a lot of confidence in his skills and tended to believe that some of the rules didn't apply to him. There's that story about him going out hunting with that jockey who was a friend of his, and Murph shooting some birds way too close to his friend, and when the friend did the same to him, he went and jumped in a dry creek or something. The friend kind of gave him a hard time about his reaction, in a good natured way, and Murphy retorted: "I don't think your aim is as good as mine." Or words to that effect.