Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pets
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

I've been thinking about doing this thread for a while ... it's not a major topic, but one that may be interesting to children and others who revel in Audie minutia (my wife would state I probably fit both categories :lol: ).

I would like to put together a running list of all known Audie pets, excluding horses which are being documented in another thread.

1) "Eric", a "shepherd dog", probably of mixed breed (Photoplay, Feb 1957, page 87)
2) "Gypsy", a sheepdog (Filmland, August 1952, page 42)
3) "Vixen", dog, Fans Star Library, 1959, # 53, page 29
4) "Ranger", a doberman pinscher (source: Photoplay, October 1955)
5) "Long John" or "Lange Johann" (German version of the dog's name), a Weimareiner named in honor of John Huston. The "official version" is that both the original Weimareiner and the replacement/addition were gifts from Huston, but the book "A Thinker's Damn" quotes Murphy's friend Willard Willingham as saying he thought Murphy originally stole the first one as a puppy off of Huston's ranch. (The implication being that Huston just kind of shrugged and let him keep it).
6) A skunk and a chimp... June 1957 Saga article mentions a a descented skunk and a six-month-old chimp, presumably the same one who appeared at his sons birthday party in 1958.

As we find more, I will update this list. If you can, please cite a source to help validate the pet!

Post subject: Re: Pets
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:32 am 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Fans Star Library # 53 page 29 dog named Vixen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:35 am 
Site Admin

Eva wrote:
Fans Star Library # 53 page 29 dog named Vixen

Thanks Eva ... I added Vixen to the list.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:46 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
2) "Eric", a german shepherd (Photoplay, Feb 1957, page 87)

I knew Eric personally; Audie introduced us the first time I visited. The name stuck in my mind because it is a common name in Denmark; from Viking days on. Anyone heard about "Erik den Røde"? Eric the Red to y'all :lol: Pretty well known Viking; discovered America half a millenium before Columbus. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:47 am 

Wasn't there a Doberman named "Ranger"? Can't remember where I read it though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:03 am 
Site Admin

Eva wrote:
Wasn't there a Doberman named "Ranger"? Can't remember where I read it though.
Ranger rings a bell with me too. I don't know where I saw that name but I think you are right. I will add him to our list but with question marks so we can keep our eye out for a source.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:30 pm 

Hi Richard, A couple of suggestions, Film-land article refers to breed of dog as "Sheepdog" yet you
show it as German Shepherd, I am not a breeder of dogs ,however, why the difference?
I realize at best a lot of these Magazine articles are way off the beaten track from reality !!! But are
we sure it is a German Shepherd ? Kind of looks like some mixed breed. Also, musing around in
my head are a couple of things I remember, an article where Audie (inherited) and or (proliferated)
a wiemerer (sp.) pup from John Houston right around the time of Red Badge of Courage and had a
real problem of keeping it healthy and the dog died shortly there after. Also, I remember seeing
an article in which Ma Cawthon was reminiscing about the time Audie was young and worked on
their farm and became friends with their son. Supposedly there was a family dog (mutt) that was
really cranky with all sorts of folks including members of the family, except for Audie, where ever
Audie would go, this animal would tag along and was quite friendly with Audie, to the extent that
the inside joke in the family was that the dog ended up being "Audie's dog". Will try and look up
where I saw these two articles with references to give you. Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.
Also there is the famous shot from his ranch in Menefee with the two boys when they were small
right outside the barn and both boys are holding what appears to be German Shepherd pups in
the photo. SJP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Shirleyjean wrote:
Hi Richard, A couple of suggestions, Film-land article refers to breed of dog as "Sheepdog" yet you
show it as German Shepherd, I am not a breeder of dogs ,however, why the difference?
I realize at best a lot of these Magazine articles are way off the beaten track from reality !!! But are
we sure it is a German Shepherd ? Kind of looks like some mixed breed. Also, musing around in
my head are a couple of things I remember, an article where Audie (inherited) and or (proliferated)
a wiemerer (sp.) pup from John Houston right around the time of Red Badge of Courage and had a
real problem of keeping it healthy and the dog died shortly there after. Also, I remember seeing
an article in which Ma Cawthon was reminiscing about the time Audie was young and worked on
their farm and became friends with their son. Supposedly there was a family dog (mutt) that was
really cranky with all sorts of folks including members of the family, except for Audie, where ever
Audie would go, this animal would tag along and was quite friendly with Audie, to the extent that
the inside joke in the family was that the dog ended up being "Audie's dog". Will try and look up
where I saw these two articles with references to give you. Just my thoughts... Shirley Jean.
Also there is the famous shot from his ranch in Menefee with the two boys when they were small
right outside the barn and both boys are holding what appears to be German Shepherd pups in
the photo. SJP
The dog in Filmland definitely doesn't look like a German Shepherd. I thought I had quoted it properly but I appreciate you letting me know that it was a sheepdog. Gosh knows I make plenty of errors. I want to use what we can document, so if it says "sheepdog" we will have to trust the article. If you find anything else, let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:52 am 

Just checked the Filmland article-it calls Gypsy a "shepherd" dog, which is just a fancy way of saying that she's some kind of sheep or herding dog. To me, she looks kind of like a cross between an English Shepherd and something shorter, wire-haired and curly tailed. But I am not an expert. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Shepherd

Ranger the Doberman appears in Maxine Arnold's 1955 article about Murphy, in Photoplay. I think there was another Doberman from earlier in the fifties, who died of distemper despite a lot of effort and money on his owner's part.

One of the Weimareiners was named Long John (or Lange Johann, the German equivalent) in honor of John Huston. The "official version" is that both the original Weimareiner and the replacement/addition were gifts from Huston, but the book "A Thinker's Damn" quotes Murphy's friend Willard Willingham as saying he thought Murphy originally stole the first one as a puppy off of Huston's ranch. (The implication being that Huston just kind of shrugged and let him keep it). If that one was sickly, I wonder if it was the runt of the litter or something.

Eric also gets a mention in Thomas B. Morgan's account of meeting Murphy in 1967. Morgan calls him a "police dog" and seems kind of intimidated by him. Eric would have been ten or so at that point. Murphy apparently had a lot of respect for German Shepherds as watchdogs: the animal in the "dog trainer incident" was a German Shepherd named Rommel who he had gifted to a female friend who (in his opinion) needed protecting.

The June 1957 Saga article mentions a couple of other pets: a descented skunk and a six-month-old chimp, presumably the same one who appeared at his sons birthday party in 1958.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:40 am 

Christie, Thank you for posting the thread about the Dogs received from John Huston. I recall
reading the dogs name was Long John, I do not recall what the second dog's name was..
I appreciate that you were also able to list where I had read it.. Sincerely, Shirley Jean.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:43 am 
Site Admin

I am editing the compiled list as you guys leave your findings. I have dropped contributor names because actually, each listing and the information for them becoming the result of more than one person.

Eva, do you remember if the chimp was an actual pet? I don't know if you know this detail but if the chimp was an actual pet, (along with a skunk) I can just imagine how Pam reacted when Audie brought these critters home!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:48 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Eva, do you remember if the chimp was an actual pet? I don't know if you know this detail but if the chimp was an actual pet, (along with a skunk) I can just imagine how Pam reacted when Audie brought these critters home!

I certainly never saw a chimp, or a skunk for that matter, at the Toluca Lake house. The only pet I remember is Eric the German Shepherd. My only knowledge of a chimp at the Toluca Lake place is from the birthday pics. The text with those was
Quote:
DOUBLE BIRTHDAY FOR AUDIE'S YOUNGSTERS.

The two sons of Hollywood actor Audie Murphy -- Terry, 6, and Skipper, 4, -- have birthdays within 10 days of each other. Two parties in a row are a bit much for boys of their age (and for their parents) so the family celebrates with one big joint party. This year, as well as the neighbourhood playmates, a special guest was Donna Jinx, a three-year-old chimpanzee.

I was never at any of his ranches; so I have no first hand knowledge of what kind of critters he kept there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:40 am 

Shirleyjean wrote:
Christie, Thank you for posting the thread about the Dogs received from John Huston. I recall
reading the dogs name was Long John, I do not recall what the second dog's name was..
I appreciate that you were also able to list where I had read it.. Sincerely, Shirley Jean.

Attached is a picture of Long John.
Attachment:
Dog, Long John, given to Audie by John Huston.jpg
Dog, Long John, given to Audie by John Huston.jpg [ 66.67 KiB | Viewed 1374 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 am 

Richard Rodgers wrote:
Shirleyjean wrote:
Also, I remember seeing an article in which Ma Cawthon was reminiscing about the time Audie was young and worked on their farm and became friends with their son. Supposedly there was a family dog (mutt) that was really cranky with all sorts of folks including members of the family, except for Audie, where ever Audie would go, this animal would tag along and was quite friendly with Audie, to the extent that the inside joke in the family was that the dog ended up being "Audie's dog".

I wonder if the attached photo could be the same dog you mention here. You can see he has a real attachment to him.
Attachment:
Audie with dog post-war 1940s.jpg
Audie with dog post-war 1940s.jpg [ 54.03 KiB | Viewed 1373 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:06 pm 

Those are some cool finds, Betty-I'm not sure I'd seen the second picture before, and I'd kind of assumed the dog in the first one was Dan Duryea's, when I first saw it. Id' heard of Weimeraners, but never really put a "face" to the breed til now. :oops: Wikipedia says they tend to be kind of clingy around their owners and insecure when separated from them, and will tend to lean on or lounge on their owners in repose.