Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
Audie Murphy painting, copyright 2010, Dave Phillips. Used with permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

Hi Everyone:

I happened to type Pam's name into google today on another issue and this link popped up on IMDB. If this is true then it is news to me.
I think the first TV show is an Australian series from years ago.
I am actually floored. Could they be mistaken? I find it hard they could be this wrong, although they have been wrong on some minor details before, but this bad?

Here is the link: (Notice the Name and then scroll down to the credits)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2576313/

If this is true, I am shocked!

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:30 am 

That is pretty mind-boggling, Dave. I can just barely see how Pamela Opal Lee Archer Murphy could've ended up in the Zero Hour episode-it deals with an event in the San Fernando Valley in the late nineties, it's just barely possible that she witnessed some part of the incident or knew some of the people who did, and facilitated the producers getting in touch with them, so they gave her a cameo as a thank you. (I've seen pictures of her dating from the 00s; she was still a very photogenic woman, but obviously frail, and some people claim that she wasn't all that lucid in the last years of her life). But that's a longshot all by itself and you add to that the idea of her playing a recurring grownup villain in a children's scifi series (10 episodes 25 min each) shot in Tasmania (Australia) in the 1979-1981 timeframe...well, again, it's not absolutely impossible, but it is awfully improbable.

I will try to check youtube at some point to see if I can find clips from either tv production. Pamela Archer Murphy was pretty distinctive-looking, and I would be surprising if this other (probably Aussie or Canadian) Pamela Archer looked at all similar.

I don't have a user account at IMDB, but maybe someone who does can point this set of errors out to them. I don't hold out a lot of hold for them fixing it, given the Willard Willingham entry:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932248/board/

In 2004, people were pointing out that the Willard Willingham of Universal Studios had a different birthdate and was still alive, and yet IMDB still lists him with a wrong birthdate and a 1997 deathdate, which would come as a surprise to Boyd Magers and Dr. William Russo, who seem to have had some dealings with him in regards to their Murph books (published in the 00s and referencing him as still alive).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 am 

I just sent an email to History Television that showed the Zero Hour show to see if it is available on dvd or just that one episode. Will let you know if and when I get a reply.

I can't remember where I got my Willard Willingham info for my book, but I hope I didn't get the wrong info. If I did, oops, forgive me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 am 

I also just sent as couple emails to the Tasmanian Archives who has the 10-episode series on dvd. One was to a library where you can check the series out. Kind of hard for me to do this far. Maybe they will sell a copy of it. The other was to The archive section itself. Maybe we can learn something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 am 
Trusted Scholar

Wow is right! I'm just sitting here in disbelief at this point.

***Teri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 pm 

Teri Edge wrote:
Wow is right! I'm just sitting here in disbelief at this point.

***Teri

It is kind of a week for bombshells and general weirdness, isn't it? :lol:

David: good thinking there!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 pm 

I received an email from History Television:

History Television does not hold distribution rights to the programs it airs and therefore they are unavailable for sale through us. We apologize for any inconvenience.

That was the only place I could find for that, so maybe somebody else can have some luck with that one?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm 

david williams wrote:
I received an email from History Television:

History Television does not hold distribution rights to the programs it airs and therefore they are unavailable for sale through us. We apologize for any inconvenience.

That was the only place I could find for that, so maybe somebody else can have some luck with that one?

Well, the Pamela Archer who played the fur-clad villainess "Nancy" on Fatty and George is DEFINITELY not Pam Murphy, check out 0:22 of this youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUfrmb7_LNE

Here is a German-dubbed version of the Zero Hour episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2r11aCUXZI

I didn't watch it end to end, just skimmed to parts that seemed to have footage of doctors or medics. There are a couple of women in these scenes, but they are in their thirties or forties, if not younger.

So, IMDB's just hit a new low in accuracy here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Most Trustworthy Fan

Well glad to see this has been cleared up. I had never read or heard anything that indicated Pam had any interest ever of being an actress herself especially just 3 years befor her death. I think she had some issues with dementia those last years of her life. But it certainly does say everything about the reliability of IMDB that such an incredible mix-up could have taken place. Even in her job at the VA she always wanted to be in the background and not be singled out because of her last name.

There was an actress named Pamela Murphy who was born in 1945 and acted from 1963 to 1983 and was one of those ingenue actresses that were a dime a dozen in the 1960s. She was prominent on soap operas and also guest starred on several television series such as Dallas, Little House on the Prairie and Hawaii Five-O.

So to sum up Dave IMDB got it THAT WRONG.......LOL!!

Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 pm 
Trusted Scholar

Now that we're sure it's NOT Pam, how do we contact IMDB to let them know this lady is NOT the widow of Audie Murphy and the mother of Terry and Skipper? That definitely needs correcting!

***Teri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:01 am 

Teri Edge wrote:
Now that we're sure it's NOT Pam, how do we contact IMDB to let them know this lady is NOT the widow of Audie Murphy and the mother of Terry and Skipper? That definitely needs correcting!

***Teri

Well, we're mostly sure...I'd feel better if someone else reviewed the Zero Hour video to be a second pair of eyeballs on that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:15 am 

http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/global/about ... and-george

The link above was what was sent to me from the Tasmanian something or other where I could order it. It also has the entire first episode on the link. My sound doesn't work, so can't hear who anyone calls 'Nancy' as that is Pamela Archer's character's name. The one I figure she is, doesn't look anything like her. 'Pamela Archer is in the ending credits. I can't imagine Audie's Pamela going by Archer at all at this point. She would have been too busy with her work in the VA to even go down under to do this.

Haven't looked at the North Hollywood shootout one yet. She is listed as Dr. somebody, but on imdb its listed in the 'self' catagory. Can't be both.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:36 pm 

Teri Edge wrote:

***Teri

I have mailed both a hard copy letter and an email informing IMDB that at least in the first case, they have the wrong person credited and that in the second case, it is almost certainly an error as well.
Hopefully, they will update the page in the near future.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 pm 

Thank you, Dave!