Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy. This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission.

Audie L. Murphy Memorial Website Message Boards

[ Website Main Page ]
[ Message Center ] [ Guestbook ]
[ Audie Murphy Medal of Freedom Petition ]
This image is copyrighted © 2010, by D. Phillips. All rights reserved. Used by written permission. Founded in 1996, this is the official website for Audie Murphy.

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
Frequent User

My curiosity got the best of me, so I have to ask; how are the two boys doing?
Also, do they ever join in with any conversation with this board that honors their father?

Any interesting news or good news, would be great! :ymapplause:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:44 pm 
Trusted Scholar

I don't think anyone on the board "knows for sure" how the boys are doing. I know for a fact that they DO NOT ever join into the conversations on the board.

I'm sure that some of Audie's family keeps up with them, but they haven't been to Audie Days nor do they join in on the board conversations.

Someone may know more!

***Teri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 pm 
Frequent User

Thank you Teri. That is a bit odd I would think? I hope to be in LA or that area in a month or two. I will try to get some info. Maybe goggle would be even better and much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 pm 
Frequent User

Here is some outdated information I found on wiki.answers.com
It is interesting, though. I may add some more info if I see it's reliable? Yikes on that dead-end bloodline! x_x

He is living in Southern California not far from his Mother. I have heard some say that he is a screen play artist and other say he is a writer of sorts but not screen plays. I have no idea which is correct.

His Brother Skip is a Carpenter in Northern California.

Both boys as I understand it have been married more than once but neither has ever had a child, so the Murphy direct decsendant blood-line will die out with their demise.

Hope that helps.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_audi ... z1z2x8Er00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 pm 
Frequent User

Here is some more news. I may just edit any more info I find worthwhile in this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:13 pm 
Most Esteemed Researcher, Trustworthy Scholar, and Devote Audie Fan

MY HERO SINCE 1955 wrote:
Here is some outdated information I found on wiki.answers.com
It is interesting, though. I may add some more info if I see it's reliable? Yikes on that dead-end bloodline! x_x

He is living in Southern California not far from his Mother. I have heard some say that he is a screen play artist and other say he is a writer of sorts but not screen plays. I have no idea which is correct.

His Brother Skip is a Carpenter in Northern California.

Both boys as I understand it have been married more than once but neither has ever had a child, so the Murphy direct decsendant blood-line will die out with their demise.

Hope that helps.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_audi ... z1z2x8Er00

There is one minor discrepancy, so thought that for the record I would clarify it; Skip has never married and he lives as the article said in Nothern California. Terry lives in Southern California as the article stated and has been married at least twice and I think actually three times; and yes neither has ever had a child.

Thanks,

Dave

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:54 pm 
Frequent User

Thank you for that update!
The info I copied you understand, was 26 years old.
I hope they can live a long fruitful life because the "old-man" sacrificed so much of his life for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:15 pm 
Researcher

Does anyone have any idea if his sons even keep up with this website or not? I understand privacy, but it's very strange that none of his immediate family(wife and sons)has ever attended Audie Murphy Days in Greenville, and none were there when the statue was dedicated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 pm 

Bob wrote:
Does anyone have any idea if his sons even keep up with this website or not? I understand privacy, but it's very strange that none of his immediate family(wife and sons)has ever attended Audie Murphy Days in Greenville, and none were there when the statue was dedicated.

I thought she did a few times back in the seventies...? She traveled less and less as she got older, and at one point in like the eighties or nineties the veterans and personnel at the VA where she did volunteer work had to pass the hat to help her make a rare trip out to Arlington to visit her husband's final resting place.

Everything I'd ever heard about the sons indicated that they were attached to their father but also intimidated by his reputation (and fandom) and haunted by his death, and therefore a bit uncomfortable about interacting with his admirers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:51 am 

That is a very good way of putting it, Christie. That explains it better than any explanation I could imagine. Mostly what we all figured but to put it in those words says it all. Thanks. And I don't think any of us on here would behave any differently under the circumstances. It couldn't have been easy, being so affected by his death put them in the spot light to try and live up to that. I would have probably crawled in a hole and pulled it in after me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:26 pm 
Researcher

david williams wrote:
That is a very good way of putting it, Christie. That explains it better than any explanation I could imagine. Mostly what we all figured but to put it in those words says it all. Thanks. And I don't think any of us on here would behave any differently under the circumstances. It couldn't have been easy, being so affected by his death put them in the spot light to try and live up to that. I would have probably crawled in a hole and pulled it in after me.

I don't buy that. I doubt that anyone would expect his sons to be another Audie Murphy. God only made one of him and he's gone. Obviously his sons are too old for military service, so they don't have to compete with him in that regard. Many sons of famous people don't follow in their Dad's footsteps. And many of those don't choose the same occupations or endeavors, and people don't think a thing about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 pm 

Bob wrote:
david williams wrote:

I don't buy that. I doubt that anyone would expect his sons to be another Audie Murphy.

Shrug. I'm just the relative newbie who's going by what Stan Smith says here, on page 7 of one of his newsletters, and Terry Murphy and about the fans: http://www.audiemurphy.com/fanclub/ALMNFC_Vol5no2.pdf

You approach things in a very sensible, practical way, Bob, but people aren't always *sensible* - they often make emotional or irrational judgments, especially where their family or their personal heroes are concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:35 pm 

Christie wrote:
Bob wrote:
david williams wrote:

I don't buy that. I doubt that anyone would expect his sons to be another Audie Murphy.

:-?? I'm just the relative newbie :o) who's going by what Stan Smith says here, on page 7 of one of his newsletters, about Terry Murphy and about the fans: http://www.audiemurphy.com/fanclub/ALMNFC_Vol5no2.pdf

You approach things in a very sensible, practical way, Bob, but people aren't always *sensible* - they often make emotional or irrational judgments, especially where their family or their personal heroes are concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:56 pm 
Frequent User

Christie wrote:
Bob wrote:

I thought she did a few times back in the seventies...? She traveled less and less as she got older, and at one point in like the eighties or nineties the veterans and personnel at the VA where she did volunteer work had to pass the hat to help her make a rare trip out to Arlington to visit her husband's final resting place.

Everything I'd ever heard about the sons indicated that they were attached to their father but also intimidated by his reputation (and fandom) and haunted by his death, and therefore a bit uncomfortable about interacting with his admirers.

I believe Christie has it correct! It makes very good sense when your parent is world famous and will go down in the history books, worldwide, as an "immortal."
Audie Murphy was such a man.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:18 pm 
Researcher

MY HERO SINCE 1955 wrote:
Christie wrote:
Bob wrote:

I believe Christie has it correct! It makes very good sense when your parent is world famous and will go down in the history books, worldwide, as an "immortal."
Audie Murphy was such a man.

While I agree with your opinion about Audie, the sad part is, he's not even mentioned in the U.S. History books in our schools. I was in the public school business for 33 years, and I looked at history books for all those years to see if he was mentioned, and I never saw his name in one of them. I did get to see his name mentioned in some of the literature classes, when they studied "The Red Badge of Courage", and then the teacher would show the film. She always told the classes that the "young coward" was played by the most decorated soldier of WWII. But, the history books, nothing, unless an individual teacher brought this up on his own when covering the war.